explosion in omagh

Started by randomtask, April 02, 2011, 05:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 03, 2011, 10:42:39 PM
I think killing people will only make others want/approve of others being killed. Your obviously an Eye for an eye type of a guy I'm more of a two wrongs don't make a right.

I can assure you that I am very definitely not an eye for an eye type of person.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Milltown Row2

Quote from: stonebreaker on April 03, 2011, 10:48:06 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on April 03, 2011, 10:40:21 PM
Quote from: stonebreaker on April 03, 2011, 10:26:36 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on April 03, 2011, 10:21:52 PM
Quote from: stonebreaker on April 03, 2011, 10:14:51 PM
An awful tragedy... R.I.P. Ronan Kerr.

But lads... a simple question?

I'm trying to understand, but what has changed since 1994?

18 years ago, the provos (Martin McGuinness and his ilk) would have killed Ronan Kerr with impunity and it would have been the norm and lauded by the republican majority in general. I'm sensing an awful amount of hypocracy here, but does the mantra of 'the new improved' Sinn Fein really hold that much sway among you all? If it's wrong now, was it not wrong then?

I'm genuinely not on the wind up, but really want to understand the mindset. Can anyone talk me through it? Please?

It's simple. Republicans believe that violence was vindicated when there was no alternative and when the state was at war with the people. Dissident republicans believe that violence is the first option no matter what the circumstances. Don't try to draw comparisons between republicans and dissidents. I am a proud Irish Republican and I can tell you with no shred of doubt that these tramps do not represent me or any one I know.

So I personally think republicans were wrong and you in turn think dissidents were wrong? Given the concessions to republicans in the GFA can you understand why the dissidents are going down this path?

That post has just confirmed my suspicions. It seems you just dislike republicanism and your post was simply an attempt to tacitly associate the wider republican movement and republican philosophy into what happened yesterday at the hands of dissident, braindead, violence obsessed, strategy-less nut jobs. Don't pretend you don't understand the difference between republicans and dissidents. As for the GFA, every side had concessions. Loyalists have not been carrying out attacks on innocent Catholics. Nobody calling themselves republican should be carrying out attacks on anybody when there is an opportunity for peace and to achieve aims by peaceful means. Ronan was a friend and I have no intention of getting into any kind of debate on a thread which should be kept to tributes so I'm leaving it at that.

So anyone pre 94, good enough for him....

Anyone post 94, its a tragedy. Didn't deserve it, etc.

Hypocracy in a bottle.......

But what is it you want? If we keep on killing would you be happy if your own kids grew up in a place were they could be killed on the way to the shop, would that keep you happy? Those days are gone would you prefer it continues?

Post was not for you Nally Stand, i may sometimes not agree with some of your posts, but not today
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear ón Srath Bán

Start another thread if you want to raise that issue, and leave this one alone as a tribute -- you, very transparently, are pushing a particular political agenda, and this is not the place for it.

Hypocrisy indeed.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Nally Stand

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 03, 2011, 10:40:21 PM
Quote from: stonebreaker on April 03, 2011, 10:26:36 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on April 03, 2011, 10:21:52 PM
Quote from: stonebreaker on April 03, 2011, 10:14:51 PM
An awful tragedy... R.I.P. Ronan Kerr.

But lads... a simple question?

I'm trying to understand, but what has changed since 1994?

18 years ago, the provos (Martin McGuinness and his ilk) would have killed Ronan Kerr with impunity and it would have been the norm and lauded by the republican majority in general. I'm sensing an awful amount of hypocracy here, but does the mantra of 'the new improved' Sinn Fein really hold that much sway among you all? If it's wrong now, was it not wrong then?

I'm genuinely not on the wind up, but really want to understand the mindset. Can anyone talk me through it? Please?

It's simple. Republicans believe that violence was vindicated when there was no alternative and when the state was at war with the people. Dissident republicans believe that violence is the first option no matter what the circumstances. Don't try to draw comparisons between republicans and dissidents. I am a proud Irish Republican and I can tell you with no shred of doubt that these tramps do not represent me or any one I know.

So I personally think republicans were wrong and you in turn think dissidents were wrong? Given the concessions to republicans in the GFA can you understand why the dissidents are going down this path?

That post has just confirmed my suspicions. It seems you just dislike republicanism and your post was simply an attempt to tacitly associate the wider republican movement and republican philosophy into what happened yesterday at the hands of dissident, braindead, violence obsessed, strategy-less nut jobs. Don't pretend you don't understand the difference between republicans and dissidents. As for the GFA, every side had concessions. Loyalists have not been carrying out attacks on innocent Catholics. Nobody calling themselves republican should be carrying out attacks on anybody when there is an opportunity for peace and to achieve aims by peaceful means. Ronan was a friend and I have no intention of getting into any kind of debate on a thread which should be kept to tributes so I'm leaving it at that.

Yes, because society today is exactly as it was in 1994. You honestly think that if someone thinks violence is justified in some circumstances, that they therefor must support it in all circumstances? Honestly, it seems to me that you came to this thread of tributes to stir and wind. As I say, I'm not getting into it.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

stonebreaker

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 03, 2011, 10:53:40 PM

Start another thread if you want to raise that issue, and leave this one alone as a tribute -- you, very transparently, are pushing a particular political agenda, and this is not the place for it.

Hypocrisy indeed.

I question terrorism and murder and you scream 'political agenda'?  That says it all. Murder is wrong. End of. It's not a 'pick 'n mix'.  I think we'll leave it at that.

I think the mask's gonna slip from a lot of boys from here on in.....

Tony Baloney

Quote from: stonebreaker on April 03, 2011, 11:03:03 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 03, 2011, 10:53:40 PM

Hypocrisy indeed.

I question terrorism and murder and you scream 'political agenda'?  That says it all. Murder is wrong. End of. It's not a 'pick 'n mix'.  I think we'll leave it at that.

I think the mask's gonna slip from a lot of boys from here on in.....
You registered on here in 2006 yet have waited until today to post anything. I smell a rat. Leave this thread as it is meant, you can discuss on the Dissident Republican Activity thread.

ross4life

I'll take a wild guess & say stonebreaker is PSTG
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Redhand Santa

It's a different time with different attitudes from everyone. A lot of people have wised up on both sides over the last 15 years. I never supported violence at any time so I'm not defending anyone in the past. Political point scoring has close to disppeared in the wake of a murder like this which is a step forward so its sad to see you try to drag people into a pointless debate at a time when everyone should be united against a small element of thugs.

wanderer

There is more than enough threads with tit for tat rubbish without getting into it here, on this one.

If anyone doesn't understand people saying they think this is a tragedy/wrong, start a new thread to discuss "hypocrisy" or "republicanism" or what everelse you want explained. Coming onto something like this to try to score points is stupid, sad and low

Radda bout yeee

RIP Ronan Kerr - from what i've been told - a great lad!!!.....

Poor lad on his way out to do a job to make an honest pound!!!! I'll bet the scum who did this in 'the name of ireland' are useless bums with no jobs no prospects and are probably quite glad to go draw their dole of the british government!!!!

thejuice

Shocked and disgusted. The people have spoken, there is no support nor any sense to this.

It has me thinking though that any over zealous reaction to this by the state, no matter who calls for it,  will only give these savages what they want.

I read elsewhere someone calling for a shoot to kill response to this. bloody fools.

The state will have to be careful, reacting with tact and caution.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Banana Man

absolutley shocked at this news, disgusting. How they think this will further anything astounds me. Apparently his father died of cancer a few years back, how his mother is going to cope with this is beyond me. Words fail me for what that family is going through.

RIP

Declan

Shocking stuff altogether. His mother was absolutely fantastic on the news I watched last night. Dignified and wonderful statement despite her obvious grief.

QuoteI've seen the dissidents outside the Athletic Grounds collecting for the prisoners a couple of times recently. they should be chased.

Must say I couldn't believe it when I saw them that night the Dubs played. If I hadn't seen them with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it. 

HiMucker

Quote from: thewobbler on April 03, 2011, 10:44:44 PM
One of the things that a lot of Republicans struggle with is understanding why their movement enjoyed so much support for 30 years.

In truth it had very little to do with the romantic notion of a socialst 32 county united Ireland. It was, instead, largely down to civil rights. To cut a long story short, the average joe was left with no choice but to make a stand. Growing support, by nature, leads to growing fanaticism. Some people always take things to extremes.

The difference for today's 'freedom fighters' is that they're trying to cause unrest in a settled and reasonably wealthy country. Their end goal is not equality ot stability, but turmoil. They will never ever gain general support.
Thats spot on.  Very hard to feel opressed by britain when your watching your 42 inch TV were religious equality is a reallity in the majority of walks of life in the north.  I would near bet my house that the guys who carried out this attack do not work, and are scrounging on every state benefit going.  The hypocrisy is mind boggling.  They dont think a young man should earn a wage working for the state, but its ok for them to take the money for nothing.  Brainless.

rrhf

Deepest sympathies to the young mans family, his friends and his club.