Croke Park

Started by Uladh, March 01, 2007, 10:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you vote to allow Croke Park to become the National Stadium?

Yes
30 (20.4%)
No
117 (79.6%)

Total Members Voted: 138

stephenite

Quote from: dublinfella on March 09, 2007, 01:20:42 AM
So this Machevellian scheme being mooted here and only here is at least their fourth option.

It might be mooted here, and only here. But I'd wager that the majority here don't see it quite like that

dublinfella

Quote from: stephenite on March 09, 2007, 01:41:41 AM
Quote from: dublinfella on March 09, 2007, 01:20:42 AM
So this Machevellian scheme being mooted here and only here is at least their fourth option.

It might be mooted here, and only here. But I'd wager that the majority here don't see it quite like that

so despite the fact that the Sunday Business Post and Phoenix are reporting that the IRFU have two other balls in the air, the Govt have committed funding through the recent budget, the FAI have drawn down the money for their contribution and the GAA heirarchy have repeatedly stated the short term nature of the current CP deal,  some heads on this forum have come to the conclusion that Bertie might, despite all his utterances on the subject, decide at some point in the future to buy CP for the state to save money (despite the fact it wont) makes it any less than conspiracy theory bullshit from moaners who have been warning of doom and gloom since the ban was lifted.

the premise that CP will become a national stadium is ludicrous and the fact that this is the only site discussing it should say something. 10 pages of playing into the backwoodmans paranoia. Tom Humphries was right.

stephenite

Quote from: dublinfella on March 09, 2007, 01:50:24 AM
some heads on this forum have come to the conclusion that Bertie might, despite all his utterances on the subject, decide at some point in the future to buy CP for the state to save money (despite the fact it wont) makes it any less than conspiracy theory bullshit from moaners who have been warning of doom and gloom since the ban was lifted.

the premise that CP will become a national stadium is ludicrous and the fact that this is the only site discussing it should say something. 10 pages of playing into the backwoodmans paranoia. Tom Humphries was right.

Errrm yeah, there are some heads that fear Croker turing into National stadium, yet for all your reasons,  you are leaving out the utterances of the Minister responsible for the final decision - John O'Donoghue who's utterances put him at odds with his Taoiseach. He has stated he would be in favour of it.

What are Berties utterances BTW?? And journalists are reporting it in some publications, dosen't really prove anything son?

I am in agreement with you in general - I don't see it happening for a variety of reasons, but is there really any need to come on here mudslinging? I mean really, I have stated that the majority of all posters here would not see it quite like those who are understandbly jumpy in lite of O'Donoghues comments and you come on here talking about backwoodsmen.

Can I once again ask that you particiapte in logical and reasoned debate, or are you just in from the pub , again?

muppet

QuoteCan I once again ask that you particiapte in logical and reasoned debate, or are you just in from the pub , again?
;D ;D :D :D
MWWSI 2017

dublinfella

Quote from: stephenite on March 09, 2007, 02:00:26 AM
Quote from: dublinfella on March 09, 2007, 01:50:24 AM
some heads on this forum have come to the conclusion that Bertie might, despite all his utterances on the subject, decide at some point in the future to buy CP for the state to save money (despite the fact it wont) makes it any less than conspiracy theory bullshit from moaners who have been warning of doom and gloom since the ban was lifted.

Errrm yeah, there are some heads that fear Croker turing into National stadium, yet for all your reasons,  you are leaving out the utterances of the Minister responsible for the final decision - John O'Donoghue who's utterances put him at odds with his Taoiseach. He has stated he would be in favour of it.

What are Berties utterances BTW?? And journalists are reporting it in some publications, dosen't really prove anything son?

I am in agreement with you in general - I don't see it happening for a variety of reasons, but is there really any need to come on here mudslinging? I mean really, I have stated that the majority of all posters here would not see it quite like those who are understandbly jumpy in lite of O'Donoghues comments and you come on here talking about backwoodsmen.

Can I once again ask that you particiapte in logical and reasoned debate, or are you just in from the pub , again?

He isnt responsible for the final decision. The GAA as an institution are. Even if, and its a massive if, he decides to lay out half a billion of the taxpayers money to buy CP, the GAA can just say no. End of. Anyone who suggests otherwise has an agenda.

John O'Donoghue has problems sometimes with his mouth. He was talking out of turn when he 'promised' LR to the GAA and he is similarly out of line in his comments about CP being a national stadium. He is full of off the cuff soundbites and should be ignored on both counts.

stephenite

Quote from: dublinfella on March 09, 2007, 02:12:56 AM
He isnt responsible for the final decision. The GAA as an institution are. Even if, and its a massive if, he decides to lay out half a billion of the taxpayers money to buy CP, the GAA can just say no. End of. Anyone who suggests otherwise has an agenda.

I meant that, in the event of the GAA giving the OK, the final decision would be in his hands ( it would be a cabinet call obviously, but he is the minister reponsible )
However, you're right, it is the GAA's decision and congress would never accept this I feel.

O'Donoghue might be full of soundbites but he ain't that dumb. He would never have said what he did if he was not prompted by someone - he is playing the old politicians game of saying something to gauge a reaction, my view is the government are keen for Croker to become the National Stadium, no matter what the Drumcondra rascal might say publicly. Still, it will never happen in my view

dublinfella

JO'D had a microphone stuck in front of his gob and made some blithe comment. There is no impetus whatsover to scupper the LR project. From anyone.

People seem to want to take him seriously despite the evidence. How many posters here actually feel cheated that Gaelic Games arent going to be in LR because he 'promised'? No doubt the same who are choosing to be worried about a National Stadium in CP even though he has no influence over it happening?

Its utterly contrived indignation.

stephenite

Quote from: dublinfella on March 09, 2007, 02:38:57 AM
JO'D had a microphone stuck in front of his gob and made some blithe comment. There is no impetus whatsover to scupper the LR project. From anyone.

JO'D has had enough microphones stuck in front of his gob over the years not to be making blithe, off the cuff reamrks like that - it's naive to believe otherwise, he's a f**king politician and an FF one at that. But it doesn't matter at the end of the day, it won't make a difference to the end result.

Quote from: dublinfella on March 09, 2007, 02:38:57 AM
How many posters here actually feel cheated that Gaelic Games arent going to be in LR because he 'promised'? No doubt the same who are choosing to be worried about a National Stadium in CP even though he has no influence over it happening?

Its utterly contrived indignation.

I certainly don't feel cheated, but I can't recall him making any promises - regardless, there is no need for GAA games to be played in LR.

You have an opinion that JO'D made an off the cuff remark, I am truly envious of your naievty. Others are understandably a little nervous at his remarks

But I really do not understand why you feel the need to come on here and rant about it, contrived indignation, maybe, indignant that JO'D would say such a thing, but as I've pointed out senior cabinet ministers of long experience do not use throw away comments for no reason and to try and state otherwise is, well, a little bit foolish.

Doesn't change the fact that it won't happen because not one of the associations would be prepared to accept it

Smokin Joe

[/quote]

At the moment €2m in lotto funds, €2m from Rovers themselves and the SDCC want to put in €2m to finish it. Zero on the table from Thomas Davis.

[/quote]

So is the whole Shamrock Rovers project only costing €6m?

Dinny Breen

Was at a conference in Croker on Wednesday, spent most of the time watching the lads install the seats on the Hill, looked really well I have to say.....
#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

Quote€2m from Rovers themselves

Where the f**k are these bankrupts coming up with €2M from? The tooth fairy?

Hardy

I think the idea is you renege on your taxes, liquidate, set sail under a new flag and Hey Presto!

dublinfella

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 09, 2007, 09:47:11 AM
Quote€2m from Rovers themselves

Where the f**k are these bankrupts coming up with €2M from? The tooth fairy?

a good question but i think the point the soccer heads would make is that tallaght is not and never has been 100% publically funded despite what our president was out in the papers this week saying. the entire cost to the state via lotto and capital grant funding is less than the grant for the CP floodlights. and no-one has demanded use of those.

dubnut

Dublinfella I came back this week after about 2 months away from the site.
You were arguing on this issue back then, and still are now!

p.s. nobody NEEDED to demand use of the floodlights, they had already been told they could use them !
I dont recall Ireland playing England in the dark.

dublinfella

Quote from: dubnut on March 09, 2007, 12:47:12 PM
Dublinfella I came back this week after about 2 months away from the site.
You were arguing on this issue back then, and still are now!

p.s. nobody NEEDED to demand use of the floodlights, they had already been told they could use them !
I dont recall Ireland playing England in the dark.

someone asked a question, i answered it.

my point as you well know is the same posters here who are apoplectic at soccer recieving public funds dont seem to have any problem with the GAA accepting a far higher proportion for our projects, be it the floodlights costing the state more than the entire tallaght project or the higher percentage of public funds that pearse stadium got. to say we are being harshly treated when we still get more capital grants than every other sport in the state combined (although i believe the horsies are in line for megabucks in the next few years, wonder will there be objections to that). its hypocrital and appaling PR.

but the very fact that we are on the tenth page of panic over a hypothetical situation that is totally in congresses hands to stop sums up the grip some posters here have on reality and the intentions of other sports.