Armagh vs Galway Athletic Grounds 03.04.2011

Started by mackers, March 29, 2011, 11:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

naka

as an aside did we finish up playing 3-3-4-2-2 awful management,

thought moriarity was given a lesson by joyce on half a leg--still classy at his age is it 34( why was mallon not switched onto him)
down will hammer that team if we play similiar tactics, and what`s even worse is thst down supporters are laughing at us at the moment

ross4life

Huge win for Galway today what happens if Armagh,Galway finish level on points? head to head??

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Abble

Quote from: Take Your Points on April 03, 2011, 06:25:23 PM
Colm says don't blame Paddy.  Check out the reference to the you lot!

QuoteThe list of grievances goes on and on and very often those who make these comments don't know the first thing about football. They are exaggerated by anonymous contributions on comment boards which have brought a sinister and often bitter aspect to the GAA.

who do you blame then ?
the 4 men put on galways main threat today are associated with the word attack - not defence. now unless o'rourkes eyesight is failing and he cant  spot something wrong on a football field that a 12 year old can see then i'm going to start being concerned.
i'm not going down the road of blaming players on this event today, it lies solely with paddy i'm afraid

seafoid

Quote from: David McKeown on April 03, 2011, 05:03:42 PM
Utterly shambolic, Galway were decent but not great Armagh were as poor as I've ever seen an Armagh team. Completely clueless and devoid of any game plan. That said had they taken any of the four good goal chances they had the could very easily have won the game.

On an almost related point I was asked at the match what if any relation is John Murtagh to Donal Murtagh?

Galway were decent. I didn't think I would hear that this year.

seafoid

Quote from: Armamike on April 03, 2011, 05:39:05 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 03, 2011, 05:24:45 PM
Jaysus, what a turnaround for Galway. Nothing like the return of a few decent players.
And Ormaugh ? What now? Down 1 match away and all..

Where's that?

Patsy from Forkhill. It must have been before your time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/1437397.stm

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Abble on April 03, 2011, 06:29:09 PM
who do you blame then ?
the 4 men put on galways main threat today are associated with the word attack - not defence. now unless o'rourkes eyesight is failing and he cant  spot something wrong on a football field that a 12 year old can see then i'm going to start being concerned.
i'm not going down the road of blaming players on this event today, it lies solely with paddy i'm afraid

Sorry Abble, but I must take issue here. Our players made basic, basic errors throughout that match, that cost scores at each end of the pitch - those mistakes brought Galway back into a game that they looked out of as early as ten minutes in, and those same mistakes prevented us from bridging the gap between Galway and ourselves in the second half.

Unforced errors (thank you Dan Maskell) on the pitch have cost us big time in this league campaign and yet we still bang on about the manager!!   ???     

Mid Down Gael

Armagh folk blame Paddy ORourke on everything. He is doing his best and i can see is making mistakes, but he is managing a very average Armagh team. Yous are not the brilliant side that yous had in the last decade anymore, and in no way would that defence have conceeded 1-20 especially at home. The players out their have to take a lot of responsibility too, Armagh in the noughties always defended in numbers with the blanket defence, they are stil doing the same, but the players are just not the same standard.

redandblackareback

Quote from: naka on April 03, 2011, 06:13:28 PM
as an aside did we finish up playing 3-3-4-2-2 awful management,

thought moriarity was given a lesson by joyce on half a leg--still classy at his age is it 34( why was mallon not switched onto him)
down will hammer that team if we play similiar tactics, and what`s even worse is thst down supporters are laughing at us at the moment

Naka, I wouldnt say we r laughing at you ( ;D) na seriously I ventured up to the athletic grounds today as I was at a loose end with Down playing last night and I must be honest I sort of feel sorry a bit now for Paddy which I didnt a few months ago... He has such an inept and poor back room team its unreal, those 3 men along the line offer Paddy absolutely nothing. Sean O Hare from Burren, joke  ::) !Mc Gurn is the biggest bluffer in the modern game and unfortunately continues to make a brave living out of it.. Donal Murtagh  ??? whats actually his role?? Sad for Paddy but as I posted away back he should have replaced Justin Mc Nulty and he didnt!!

Roll on the end of May, I feel Armagh and Paddy will have a short summer.

Abble

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 03, 2011, 06:48:26 PM
who do you blame then ?

Sorry Abble, but I must take issue here. Our players made basic, basic errors throughout that match, that cost scores at each end of the pitch - those mistakes brought Galway back into a game that they looked out of as early as ten minutes in, and those same mistakes prevented us from bridging the gap between Galway and ourselves in the second half.

Unforced errors (thank you Dan Maskell) on the pitch have cost us big time in this league campaign and yet we still bang on about the manager!!   ???     

yeah Rufus, agreed about the simple errors the boys are making, mostly unforced and its frustrating as a spectator watching that but i'm sure it must be even more frustrating for the players as they know they can do much better in that respect.

i just wont blame the players for some tactical issues and none of the boys on sice today can be faulted i think when a better more defensive minded player should have been put on him, and instead of boys trying to chase him, a proper defender should have been stopping him. that is definitely something POR shoiuld have responded to better.

it was a strange game as after 10 mins we were looknig like we were going to win it hands down, maybe a bit of complacency crept in if it wasnt already there before throw-in but to go 4-0 up and then for galway to turn that around to go 8-5 up or whatever was abysmal. so a game can turn pretty quick when no-one can see it coming and POR certainly cant be blamed for that. i don't know, its around these things that happen on the field that a blind man can see are not working but POR doesnt seem to pick up on them and its then that I have to question him. most of what he does is fine but i'm just not confident about him anymore.

i was actually quite happy with todays team selection before throw-in but it didnt work out on the day, he has to try other players, otherwise we dont know what kind of cover there is. the game was lost today before the substitions were made and the fact that the Sice issue was not handled cost us the game in my eye and therefore is why i'm blaming paddy on this occassion.

Throw ball

who do you blame then ?

He is also wrong about a 12 year old seeing the problems. When Galway went 2 up in the first half my 10 year old told me they would lose because the players thought Galway were crap!! :(

Throw ball

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on April 03, 2011, 06:52:38 PM
Armagh folk blame Paddy ORourke on everything. He is doing his best and i can see is making mistakes, but he is managing a very average Armagh team. Yous are not the brilliant side that yous had in the last decade anymore, and in no way would that defence have conceeded 1-20 especially at home. The players out their have to take a lot of responsibility too, Armagh in the noughties always defended in numbers with the blanket defence, they are stil doing the same, but the players are just not the same standard.

Armagh did not play a blanket defence today. They decided to string players along the midfield and let runners run through them. >:(

mountainboii

who do you blame then ?

Surely the prevalence of these simple errors throughout the team, and throughout the whole league campaign, is suggestive of deeper problems. Well drilled, well coached, well disciplined teams do not make this number of errors. When a couple of lads do something stupid you can write it off as one of those things, but when boys throughout the team are consistently doing ridiculous things you need to look for root causes.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Armagh folk blame Paddy ORourke on everything.

Incorrect. We blame him for poor team selection and tactical decision-making, both of which are firmly within his mandate.

He is doing his best and i can see is making mistakes,

Correct on both counts.

but he is managing a very average Armagh team. Yous are not the brilliant side that yous had in the last decade anymore,

Not as good as the 2000-2006 side certainly but still far far better than current performances suggest. Even playing poorly they might remain in division 1. I don't want to re-hash the medal argument again but the majority of counties don't have the players Armagh have. If they wer every average there'd be 15 teams in Ireland better than them. That isn't the case.

Armagh in the noughties always defended in numbers with the blanket defence, they are stil doing the same, but the players are just not the same standard.

We weren't defending in numbers at all today. In fact we weren't doing much defending altogether.

Quote from: redandblackareback on April 03, 2011, 07:03:04 PM

Donal Murtagh  ??? whats actually his role?? Sad for Paddy but as I posted away back he should have replaced Justin Mc Nulty and he didnt!!

Assistant manager and telling Paddy O'Rourke what its like to manage a team successfully? He doesn't appear to be imparting too much knowledge mind you.

To be fair, as gloomy as things appear tonight I'd still expect there to be very little between Armagh and Down in the championship.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

stew

So sack Paddy and then what?? who do you bring in at this stage?

i say let Paddy have this championship season and see how that goes, too much doom and gloom in the first week of April., last time i checked paddy had nothiong to do with scoring goals, points or winning breaking bal around the middle of the park.

He does seem to be naive from a tactical perspective but ffs changing managers at this stage is stupid and I think will have us ready for the only game that matters, the Down game.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Throw ball

Quote from: stew on April 03, 2011, 07:20:00 PM
So sack Paddy and then what?? who do you bring in at this stage?

i say let Paddy have this championship season and see how that goes, too much doom and gloom in the first week of April., last time i checked paddy had nothiong to do with scoring goals, points or winning breaking bal around the middle of the park.

He does seem to be naive from a tactical perspective but ffs changing managers at this stage is stupid and I think will have us ready for the only game that matters, the Down game.

Despite reservations on a number of matters I agree with you. Kildare have struggled for a couple of years in the league but come championship they are a different matter. If Geezer was Armagh manager he would have an easier time. Would like to see someone added to backroom though - no idea who though!