Armagh vs Galway Athletic Grounds 03.04.2011

Started by mackers, March 29, 2011, 11:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

How many times have we seen it over the years, Armagh teams collapse in games which they are expected to win, but win games they are expected to get stuffed in.  What price a victory in Cork?  Believe  ::)

winsamsoon

I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Applesisapples

With Mother's Day I missed yesterday's match, I almost risked the wrath of God and thought about going. Boy am I glad I saved the brownie points. I can't make up my mind where the problem lies in terms of the management team but as the Boss Paddy must accept responsibility for the failings of all including his players. I have been willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until now. Even though his selection to start was questionable, I did think with Jamie and Stevie we had enough scores to win. However to concede 1.20, well??? Says it all. It would be a miracle if that set up beats Down. But under Paddy they have been nothing if not consistent at being inconsistent. A new manager next year I think.

BerfArmagh

As a poor a second half as I have ever seen from an Armagh team, and before anyone thinks it was the opposition, Galway are no great shakes either.

Most worrying point was that with 10 mins to go, a lot of the lads heads went down. They simply gave up, which it is a long time since I have even heard of an Armagh team doing. Defence was appalling yesterday, conceding 1-20 at home to the bottom team in our division. Finian Mo (in particular) & Donaghy had poor days at the office. Donaghys performances all year are of concern, he looks out on his feet to me, he has played far too much football. Dyas tried hard, as did mc keever. Duffy I am afraid to say is a complete defensive liability, great going forward and will get you a few scores, but he is completely indisciplined and his man has done untold damage in a number of league games this year. Lastly can we not get out in front of our men, when did this shadow defending take precedence, win the ball rather than trying to dispossess once you let a forward gain possession!

Vernon was wasted in the HF line. I don't know what game some of the contributors were at, but Watters contributed absolutely nothing. It took him to be carried off to be replaced, what is going on on the sideline? Murtagh should be no where near the county squad, never mind starting. Swifts confidence has steadily been going, due to being messed about. Stevie and Jamie were great yesterday, we scored 18 points and lost, so that would tell you we had big problems in defence. MF our strongest sector all year was wiped out, why was it changed?

We lost the game in the first 10 mins, we had 2 fantastic goal chances and fluffed them, we also fluffed another 2 in the second half, encouraging thing is we had those chances, worrying thing is they were due to individual skill rather than any set move or team movement. The forwards unit is all over the place.

Must say, i felt sorry for young mc evoy, a poor mistake, v harsh considering his heroics throughout the league to replace him at HT like that, although hearty was excellent in his kick outs when he came on...

I am really starting to scratch my head, Armagh can go from the sublime to absolute comedy in seconds... Mal Mackin actually played v well, as did young o rourke when he came on

Applesisapples

If it ain't broke don't fix it...Vernon has been great at midfield all year.

Abble

Is it just me or does anyone ever wonder about this one...theres a lad on the cross team, he's had a few injuries this past year or two but he came on a sub in the club semi-final game, was it aherne ? i think his style of play is great, he seems like he has a good footballing brain. He's not a big lad by any means but he's solid and reliable, fearless, runs from midfield - Half forward and distributes great ball very rarely losing possession from what i've ever seen of him, he offers us something different to what is there currently.

at the minute we have 4 or 5 men over 6 ft in or around the midfield - HF lines and its just not going to cut it i think, we need more mobility and attacking gameplan

mountainboii

Quote from: Abble on April 04, 2011, 12:42:40 PM
Is it just me or does anyone ever wonder about this one...theres a lad on the cross team, he's had a few injuries this past year or two but he came on a sub in the club semi-final game, was it aherne ? i think his style of play is great, he seems like he has a good footballing brain. He's not a big lad by any means but he's solid and reliable, fearless, runs from midfield - Half forward and distributes great ball very rarely losing possession from what i've ever seen of him, he offers us something different to what is there currently.

at the minute we have 4 or 5 men over 6 ft in or around the midfield - HF lines and its just not going to cut it i think, we need more mobility and attacking gameplan

Aherne would be another Micky McNamee. Does a sound job in an excellent, well drilled club side, but just wouldn't make an impact at county level, especially in the current set up.