Mayo v Cork McHale Park 03/04/2011

Started by maigheo, March 29, 2011, 01:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cosmo Kramer

Another scoreless final quarter from Mayo and some serious clinging on at the end but a good win for Mayo and another season in Division 1 confirmed. We can leave Galway, Monaghan and Armagh to fight it out on the final day now. Hopefully by next season we will have a more settled team and will be able to challenge a bit more.

Sounds like Rory Hickey had a Sludden and after the barracking he got off the Mayo crowd at half time it sounds like he got his revenge by blowing up as we were going for the kill at the end.

I'll leave it to those that were there to do some analysis but I'm impressed that we held midfield without McGarrity and the defence was much improved. All starting midfielders and forwards scored (McLoughlin played as an extra defender) so a good day all round.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Cosmo Kramer

Mid west coverage was good today with Ed McGreal on the sideline reporting.

Just a pity they felt the need to turn the whole thing into a party political broadcast for Fine Gael who have apparently improved both the weather and Mayo's footballing fortunes since they came into power.  ::)
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

highorlow

At last; The 1st time we have 2 footballers in midfield we get a result.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

AbbeySider

Quote from: highorlow on April 03, 2011, 04:20:21 PM
At last; The 1st time we have 2 footballers in midfield we get a result.

What?

Who are u saying isn't a footballer?

Jinxy

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on April 03, 2011, 03:10:50 PM
Real soccer style response from the Mayo fans to the ref there at half time, rarely hear that at a league match.

Mayo one point ahead at half time (7-6) but will be playing into a hurricane in the second half.

Were the wooden spoons out again?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ross4life

Fanstasic win for Mayo today, reading back Tatler Jack got it spot on & TBH it's hard to see past Mayo in Connacht this year.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Tubberman

Well that was a very enjoyable afternoon in McHale Park and made the drive back to Dublin go a lot faster  :)
We're still a work in progress though, and I'd have doubts that Cork were going full throttle at any stage of the match.
But it's a great result, and has assured us of our Div 1 status for next year.

The defence was much improved from the Dublin game, Cork didn't really create any goal chances until the last few jittery minutes.  Richie Feeney was again the pick of the defenders and is a cast-iron certainty for the number 5 shirt for Championship.

I thought Aidan O'Shea did well in midfield, and looks like that's where he should play when he's on the field. Kilcullen had a good first half also and got a couple of very good points before running out of steam in the second half. With Seamus O'Shea to make his comeback and McGarrity  playing great stuff before his injury, we look like we should be fine there.

Andy Moran was a real leader today, he won 3 or 4 vital breaks in midfield near the end when Cork were putting the pressure on. Dillon was also improved,  but has more to give. Brian Carty gave him MOTM on RTE, but I have to agree with Billy Fitz that Andy Moran outshone him in the half-forwards today.
The two certainties in the full forward line, Freeman and Doherty, were dangerous again. It's great to be able to rely on those lads to get scores, 6 goals from 4 games from Doherty is incredible, and he should have had a second at the death - Campbell should have laid off to him.

The only negative was that we lost a lot of shape in those last 5 or 10 mins. We were panicky and were almost caught. But in fairness, the lads saw it out and you could see they were delighted at the full time whistle.
Oh and finally, big crowd I thought. Great atmosphere in the stand when the goal went in.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

From the Bunker

Quote from: ross4life on April 03, 2011, 06:14:30 PM
Fanstasic win for Mayo today, reading back Tatler Jack got it spot on & TBH it's hard to see past Mayo in Connacht this year.
;D ;D ;D ;D

ross4life

Is that a grin of confidence i detect?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

From the Bunker

That  ;D is falling over with laughter, you won't fool me ya cute Rossie hoar, trying to build up us poor fickle Mayo people up for the big fall! Remember ye are Connacht Champions, Sligo beat both Mayo and Galway last year, Galway and more importantly Joyce are coming good at the right time. Actually, the Connacht Championship will be really exciting this year, can't wait!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on April 03, 2011, 04:16:25 PM
Mid west coverage was good today with Ed McGreal on the sideline reporting.

Just a pity they felt the need to turn the whole thing into a party political broadcast for Fine Gael who have apparently improved both the weather and Mayo's footballing fortunes since they came into power.  ::)

I totally agree with the bit I put in bold. I'll post my thoughts on the match tomorrow.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Great win against the head today. Important to stay in Division 1.

Some very encouraging performances. AOS had a great game and was our most important player. Higgins, Richie Feeney, Andy, Dillon and Freeman also top performers. O Connor did very well and Doherty is always a threat inside.

Great to see O Sé put down a marker as a midfielder. He s a completely different player today than when he s asked to arse around inside. It s a pity McGarrity may be some time out now as they could be a serious pairing. The other O Sé may be the best other option and Kilcullen can also have a role to play and actually may be a choice for some kind of games.

Horan got a right today. He was smart to go with the extra defender even when we had the wind. That was critical as Cork were doing as the wished at times with possession in the first half. The odd sharp counter attack kept us ticking over.

Worryingly Cunniffe found Kerrigan too much. Kerrigan is good but not that good and Higgins coped well when switched onto him. Cunniffe may be carrying an injury but it looks like we re still shy a back or two.

We were hanging on a bit towards the end and if I may be permitted a criticism I don t think our substitutions gave us anything. Apart from Campell, who got involved straight away. Anybody know what Trevor is at? He could have a role to play yet. Harte would be an addition as well but will hardly see any action this side of the August bank holiday.

diehard

Good win!  Campbell did get stuck in but I thought he did his prospects no good by not laying off that last ball to Doherty for an almost certain goal.

moysider

Quote from: diehard on April 03, 2011, 10:54:44 PM
Good win!  Campbell did get stuck in but I thought he did his prospects no good by not laying off that last ball to Doherty for an almost certain goal.

Campbell prospects are fine in my book but was not happy at the time.  Looking at it later he appeared to lose a bit of control of the ball as he approached the goal.

And boy did that ref love puttin the whistle to his lips as we fucked it up, but he did us a favour by playing damn all dead time. The guy was a joke. Only for the crowd got on his case at the end of first half he would have rode us out of town. Even the Cork guy with the sombrero was having a laugh about the poor f**ker and he has seen a lot. Still a bit worrying a decade and a half later that we are still seen as riding material by some of these gobshites.

Campbell has been one of the successes of the spring with likes of R.Feeney, Doherty, and now AOS in midfield. Stuff we didn t have a year ago.