Mayo v Cork McHale Park 03/04/2011

Started by maigheo, March 29, 2011, 01:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maigheo

The mayo posters have gone very quiet around here after the thriller in croke park so lets get the ball rolling again.I would not be expecting a victory but I would like to see a competive game with Mayo being in contention coming towards the end.

boosabum

Cork sold us a pup in last years league game. We though we were moving in the right direction but came crashing down to reality in croker. I doubt they'll be as generous this time around. Anyway, it would be more exciting to have a winner take all senario against Mongahan on the final day of the schedule.

AbbeySider

Quote from: boosabum on March 29, 2011, 11:34:33 AM
Cork sold us a pup in last years league game. We though we were moving in the right direction but came crashing down to reality in croker. I doubt they'll be as generous this time around. Anyway, it would be more exciting to have a winner take all senario against Mongahan on the final day of the schedule.

Id say there could be a big game in this Mayo team, certainly there are a few players that should lift their game and prove themselves after the Dublin match. Id expect a Cork win, but I wouldnt write off Mayo as we are battling for division 1 status in our last couple of games.

Again there is still a lot of questions Mayo need to answer, so where as I see a strong team lining out I would still expect a few experiments.

ross4life

Quote from: maigheo on March 29, 2011, 01:18:29 AM
The mayo posters have gone very quiet around here

Indeed, our green & red neighbours wouldn't want to in Division 4 playing the like of London,Kilkenny

A home game vs the All Ireland champions should wet the appetite for any supporter.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muppet

Quote from: ross4life on March 29, 2011, 06:25:40 PM

Indeed, our green & red neighbours wouldn't want to in Division 4 playing the like of London,Kilkenny

A home game vs the All Ireland champions should wet the appetite for any supporter.

Whet are you on about?
MWWSI 2017

Tubberman

Quote from: muppet on March 29, 2011, 06:58:36 PM
Quote from: ross4life on March 29, 2011, 06:25:40 PM

Whet are you on about?

They drool a lot in Ros...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

Not that Ross, but it's the manner of the defeat the last day which has to be stopped. Jesus Christ every game this year in the league we start slow. We have to start well on Sunday at least. Put it up to them, with a bit of fight for the game. I hope and pray McGarrity starts becasue he's been our most effective midfielder this year anyway. If not, we're in for a hiding I reckon. And it could go downhill if we don't get something out of this game. Monaghan away isn't for the feint hearted and I'm kind of worried if we lose heavily on Sunday which isn't impossible that we will ship another heavy defeat to Monaghan especially as it's in Inniskeen.

Or maybe I'm being too negative and Mayo will come out all guns blazing against Cork and surprise me and win our final two games.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

We'll have a good first half on Sunday and be terrible in the second half.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

mannix

As long as Mayo are competitive I can accept whatever happens. They appear to be short of the tough fellas at the back to be winners but on the day anything can happen. At least we have real forwards this time. :-\

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 29, 2011, 11:29:34 PM
We'll have a good first half on Sunday and be terrible in the second half.

Amazing prediction! Whats your reckoning? :P
So what odds are Mayo to score first, lead at half time and Cork to win?

Is Seamus O Shea fit?

boosabum

Cork have a lot of big men and will probably have 70% possesion of the ball. The Mayo midfield will need to have a stormer just to gain parity. With all the cork players moving towards goal and based on the defending (the whole team) against Dublin last time out, it could be a tough day at the office for Mayo. Even the worst of cork teams in the past seem to be able to cope with us easily.

Chris agus Snoop

Cork have a good few injuries and you could see 3 or 4 players having their first league start, cork won't be complacent after the galway game Counihan reamed them out. With mayo at home it will be close...

Team could be

F Lynch
D Gould
Goulding

F Gould
P o'neil
Kerrigan

Alan o'connor
james Fitzpatrick

Kissane
N o'leary
Kiely

Carey
Cadogan
Shields

Halloran

RedandGreenSniper

Mayo team v Cork

Robert Hennelly
Tom Cunniffe
Cathal Hallinan
Keith Higgins
Richie Feeney
Ger Cafferkey
James Burke
Jason Gibbons
Aidan O'Shea
Kevin McLoughlin
Andy Moran
Alan Dillon
Enda Varley
Alan Freeman
Jason Doherty

At least that's what I think the team will be.

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 30, 2011, 10:01:17 PM
Mayo team v Cork

Robert Hennelly
Tom Cunniffe
Cathal Hallinan
Keith Higgins
Richie Feeney
Ger Cafferkey
James Burke
Jason Gibbons
Aidan O'Shea
Kevin McLoughlin
Andy Moran
Alan Dillon
Enda Varley
Alan Freeman
Jason Doherty

At least that's what I think the team will be.

Eh? Well if it is I would be happy enough. If McGarrity is injured and Seamus O Sé ( our no1 midfield pair if fit imo)  still needing time this is probably as good a midfield as we can get out. AOS has  recent form against Aidan Walsh as well. The rest of the team has a decent balanced look about it on paper at least providing a bit of switching is done around 10, 11 and 12. There are still question marks about our managing a game - regardless who we select. We ll know a bit more by Sunday night. Really Mayo should have ambitions to win this one. Cork are clearly swinging the lead - and who would blame them. Their season doesn't start until August and they ll only have to get it right for a couple of games to win Sam again. Counihan might have bollocked them after Galway but it would have only been because he was expected to be annoyed. I d say really he s thrilled. Beating teams in their bedroom slippers.  Goin through the motions. I don t expect Cork to be any better against us.

RedandGreenSniper

I don't agree with you about playing McLoughlin at 12. I know we've had this debate before but he's not a prolific enough kicker to be able to swing them over on the outside at 12 the way Dooher and Galvin can do at 10. Maybe Andy and Dillon are interchangeable.

I'd like to see McGarrity and S O'Shea tried too but can't say it is our best midfield because I don't know that they've ever played together.

Of course a much different team might go out because Horan might still want to trial some guys but I think he has had enough of a look at most players, except guys coming back from injury (S O'Shea, Howley, Vaughan, B Moran) and then Aidan O'Shea out the field, where he hasn't played him yet.