US Masters 2011

Started by Groucho, March 28, 2011, 07:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on March 29, 2011, 02:09:16 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on March 29, 2011, 11:55:02 AM
Quote from: gerrykeegan on March 29, 2011, 11:00:56 AM
Kim has shown some form recently certailnly a top 10 in the last little while. Have to say I am disapointed with Paddy Powers odds. in 2008 there were 26 players with odds of 100/1 or less. This year its 39. I suppose its balancing the book. Woods was 11/10 in 2008 8/1 now. Snedeker Fisher Zach Johnson and Jiminez are my possible outsiders.
Kim is about 90/1 with betfair - top 5 is available at 12.5/1

It makes no sense to back with high street bookies when that's the difference.

Well it makes no sense in that instance but for example Martin Laird is available @ 66-1 with a few firms and is trading @ 56 on Betfair. Shop around!
seriously?  I've never seen a differential like that between the two, on the odd occasion betfair can be a half point worse (before commission of course), but that normally sorts itself out fairly rapidly (arb traders).

I have just seen that he is 66/1 with a few bookies alright, but he's also available to back at 65 or lay at 70 on betfair, so the price is essentially the same.

Over The Last

Makes for fantastic viewing.

Still mulling over who to back for it. Always like Big Phil but to do back-to-back is an almighty ask.
Im convinced Tiger will get back to near top form, but dont know if it will be in this one, at that price can certainly be backed each way.

Fowler wont lack confidence and is an interesting punt.
The same can apply to McIlroy but when it goes worng it really goes wrong for him. Could lead after day oe and blow up on day two so that consistency is not there yet in my opinion to win a major, but he will some day.

So............Woods each way, kaymer & Fowler for me  8)

Bogball XV

Quote from: Over The Last on March 29, 2011, 08:53:26 PM
Makes for fantastic viewing.

Still mulling over who to back for it. Always like Big Phil but to do back-to-back is an almighty ask.
Im convinced Tiger will get back to near top form, but dont know if it will be in this one, at that price can certainly be backed each way.

Fowler wont lack confidence and is an interesting punt.
The same can apply to McIlroy but when it goes worng it really goes wrong for him. Could lead after day oe and blow up on day two so that consistency is not there yet in my opinion to win a major, but he will some day.

So............Woods each way, kaymer & Fowler for me  8)
unless he finds himself in front, same with McIlroy, for all their undoubted brilliance, both lads have huge problems sealing the deal.

heganboy

if  was taking 3 I'd go Woods each way, with punts on Bubba and Rose

One form the twitter crew (McIlroy, McDowell, Westwood and Poulter) will make a right run at it, question is which one? tempted to say McIlroy...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

CountyMan

Quote from: heganboy on March 30, 2011, 03:53:56 AM
if  was taking 3 I'd go Woods each way, with punts on Bubba and Rose

One form the twitter crew (McIlroy, McDowell, Westwood and Poulter) will make a right run at it, question is which one? tempted to say McIlroy...

I would have to go with either GMAC or Westwood.

Up The Middle

I think Donald will defintley be in with a shout. What sort of prices are been quoted for him?
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Groucho

Quote from: Up The Middle on March 31, 2011, 04:58:24 PM
I think Donald will defintley be in with a shout. What sort of prices are been quoted for him?

20's to maybe 28's
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

Bogball XV

Like mcilroy, rose etc would find it very difficult to win from the front.

By the way, anyone thinking of backing anyone and not using betfair should hold off to next week, the bookies odds tend to drift a bit and they start giving better concessions, paying out on 6/7 places or refunding your stake if player misses the cut etc.  Someone is refunding stakes if Mickelson or Woods wins - definitely worth checking out, even if Woods looks as likely as myself to take the green jacket.

gerrykeegan

World number two Lee Westwood's private jet made an emergency landing as he flew to the Masters at Augusta after a fire broke out in the cockpit.
Westwood, who was travelling from the Houston Open with Ryder Cup team-mate Ross Fisher, said it was "a bit scary".
"It never looks good when you can smell smoke and the pilots have put masks on," added the 2010 Masters runner-up.
Earlier he had asked on Twitter: "Do the fire engines normally follow you down the runway?"
He continued: "Only when there's smoke in the cabin I guess!!! They're not here to put my putter out! That's not on fire! Gone a bit quiet on here!!!"
On arrival at Augusta National on Monday the Englishman stated: "The smoke was coming from the cockpit and they told us later they couldn't drop our masks because they feed oxygen into the cabin and if there was a fire it would have fanned the flames.
"The plane came down in a bit of a nose dive because you obviously have to get down as quick as you can.
"There had been a small fire somewhere in the instruments and we had the three fire tenders chasing us down the runaway, but I think that's just a precaution."
Westwood's manager Andrew "Chubby" Chandler told BBC Sport it had "definitely got a bit cloudy in the cabin.
"There were a few quizzical looks, then we turned round and saw the pilots had full gasmasks on.
"We came down fairly quickly and it was the usual story of two or three vans and fire engines all standing down the runway."

Not the best preparation for westwood
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Bogball XV on March 31, 2011, 10:18:50 PM
Like mcilroy, rose etc would find it very difficult to win from the front.

By the way, anyone thinking of backing anyone and not using betfair should hold off to next week, the bookies odds tend to drift a bit and they start giving better concessions, paying out on 6/7 places or refunding your stake if player misses the cut etc.  Someone is refunding stakes if Mickelson or Woods wins - definitely worth checking out, even if Woods looks as likely as myself to take the green jacket.

Stan James have that offer.
Victor Chandler will pay out as a tournament winner on any golfer to have a hole-in-one during the week.

Orior

I would hate to be a gambler. It is easier to bet on who wont win, that who will.

Pile all your money on Ian Woosnam and Jose Maria not winning.

If I was stupid enough to give my hard earned salary to the turf accountant, then it would have to be Kaymer
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

stephenite

Not a gambler either, however last night I dreamt that McIlroy won, defeating Bubba Watson on the last. How much of their annual income would a seasoned gambler put on the young fella from Holywood? I'm tempted to stick a couple a hundred

Tony Baloney

I think someone will definitely win this by between 1 and 10 shots and possibly during regulation play or after a playoff. Which bookie wants to take my money?

Orior

Quote from: stephenite on April 05, 2011, 12:25:24 PM
Not a gambler either, however last night I dreamt that McIlroy won, defeating Bubba Watson on the last. How much of their annual income would a seasoned gambler put on the young fella from Holywood? I'm tempted to stick a couple a hundred

There will be a few people in Holywood Golf Club that will be substantially better off if McIlroy wins. They formed a syndicate when Rory was in his early teens and bet that he would win a major.

Cant see it myself yet. His putting just isnt good enough, and the greens at Augusta will punish any shortcomings.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Bogball XV

Quote from: Orior on April 05, 2011, 12:34:30 PM
Quote from: stephenite on April 05, 2011, 12:25:24 PM

There will be a few people in Holywood Golf Club that will be substantially better off if McIlroy wins. They formed a syndicate when Rory was in his early teens and bet that he would win a major.

Cant see it myself yet. His putting just isnt good enough, and the greens at Augusta will punish any shortcomings.
I don't think he has the mental fortitude yet to win a major (unless he sneaks it by posting a great last round and the guys in front of him collapse).
He has proven time and again that he really really struggles from the front.