Tax Refund Query

Started by gaa.boy, March 24, 2011, 08:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaa.boy

I live in north and have worked in south for nearly a year now. I am emmigrating to New Zealand soon. Does anyone know if I am entitled to claim back any income tax/PRSI/USC?
Any help would be appreciated.

under the bar

ardal

Your tax is calcuated over a year, if you work less and leave the country, you're probably entitled to a few bob. Alternatively you can rob a bank and hit van diemans land

Bogball XV

Quote from: gaa.boy on March 24, 2011, 08:57:55 PM
I live in north and have worked in south for nearly a year now. I am emmigrating to New Zealand soon. Does anyone know if I am entitled to claim back any income tax/PRSI/USC?
Any help would be appreciated.
http://www.revenue.ie/revsearch/search.jsp

I think the link above takes you to form P50, which is I think what you need.  Call one of the numbers on the form just to check what you need to send in, but I think it's the P50, proof that you're leaving and a p45.

Shamrock Shore

Bogball is spot on.

RP50 and P45 sent into Revenue. You need a working bank account (pref in Ireland) to allow Refund to be transferred in.

Hardy

Quote from: ardal on March 24, 2011, 09:10:23 PM
Your tax is calcuated over a year, if you work less and leave the country, you're probably entitled to a few bob. Alternatively you can rob a bank and hit van diemans land
... or Louth.

Minder

Quote from: Hardy on March 25, 2011, 10:00:51 AM
Quote from: ardal on March 24, 2011, 09:10:23 PM
... or Louth.

Controversial.

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Sure,hit it yourself Ref!

Lads, similar sort of question. Was working for 3.5 months there and the tax man cleaned me out. Not working at the minute and was wondering what I would be entitled to get back.

Paid about 900 in tax from October to Feb. Having left College in July I wont have crossed the new tax threshold but was taxed at that rate. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm living in the occupied six btw

Thanks

gaa.boy

Thanks very much Bogball. Big help.

Sure,hit it yourself Ref!

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on March 25, 2011, 02:11:17 PM
Quote from: Sure,hit it yourself Ref! on March 25, 2011, 01:36:45 PM
Lads, similar sort of question. Was working for 3.5 months there and the tax man cleaned me out. Not working at the minute and was wondering what I would be entitled to get back.

Paid about 900 in tax from October to Feb. Having left College in July I wont have crossed the new tax threshold but was taxed at that rate. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm living in the occupied six btw

Thanks

Based on that limited information I will hazard a guess that you were on a W1/M1 tax code and you would receive any tax paid back again calculating back on the £900. Fill out a P50 repayment form (google) and get your money back. As for the tax man cleaning you out for the princely sum of £900, thats a debate for another day. Welcome to the real world.

Thanks for that Mac. Aye this real world carry on isnt all its cracked up to be...and when you're used to the taxman paying for everything its different when its going the other way!