Ulster County Seedings

Started by redandblackareback, March 21, 2011, 03:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redandblackareback

If you were to seed our 9 counties now what order would they be in.....

Mine would be....

1. Down - Think Down are currently the best team equipped to win Ulster this year, really do feel its their year.
2. Tyrone - I know they v stumbled early on but still provide biggest threat to Down for Ulster success.
3. Donegal - Huge strides made under Mc Guinness and could be a dark horse!!
4. Derry - Same as above but do feel they ll fall short when it matters
5. Monaghan - Think the Banty days are gone and they are no longer a threat.
6. Armagh - Havent progressed under our Paddy and think its going to be a short summer
7. Antrim - Baker has taken them as far as he can, back to where they belong
8. Cavan - New manager but same old Cavan
9. Fermanagh - Just horrifying how quickly they have fallen!!

Banana Man

my rankings would be

1. Down
1. Tyrone
1. Derry
1. Donegal
1. Armagh
1. Monaghan
7. Antrim
8. Cavan
9. Fermanagh

Apart from Antrim, cavan and Fermanagh I think everyone else is more than capable of lifting the ulster crown. League form etc will count for nothing come early summer and the hard ground, it's too tight to call between the top 6

DuffleKing

Can't have down ahead of Tyrone in the Ulster championship - Tyrone blew them out of the water last year when it counted

western exile

1. Donegal
1. Down
1. Tyrone

4. Armagh
4. Derry
4. Monaghan

7. Antrim
8. Cavan
9. Fermanagh

redandblackareback

Quote from: western exile on March 21, 2011, 03:34:13 PM
1. Donegal
1. Down
1. Tyrone

4. Armagh
4. Derry
4. Monaghan

7. Antrim
8. Cavan
9. Fermanagh

Agree with you Western Exile that Ulster is a 3 tier province at the minute, and you v the 3 tiers perfect, the top 3 are way ahead of the middle 3 IMO and the middle 3 are ahead of the bottom 3. I think the gap between our top 3 and bottom 3 at the minute is as big as it has been in a long long while!!!

DuffleKing

lol. By what reasoning are Donegal in the top tier?

Brick Tamlin

I think this thread is futile and whilst some teams are doing better than others at the minute it all really counts for f**k all.
When championship time comes round all league form goes out the window. There is very little between most teams in Ulster IMO.

nrico2006

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on March 21, 2011, 03:54:40 PM
I think this thread is futile and whilst some teams are doing better than others at the minute it all really counts for f**k all.
When championship time comes round all league form goes out the window. There is very little between most teams in Ulster IMO.

Agreed.  Anyone who has Donegal up there needs their heads looked at.  The top team in Ulster is Tyrone, and there is little between the like of Derry, Monaghan, Armagh and Down.  Do people not learn as years go by that the League is not a guide to who is the best in the province?  I remember when Donegal and Derry both won the League, they were to go on and win Sam were they not?  Alot of teams do well in the League simply because they have it higher up their list of priorities and they are further down the road with regards to their fitness and training.  A supremely fit Inter-County team at this time of the year will perform well in the League against a team with better individuals who are aiming to peak in the Summer.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Don Johnson

Jesus some Down fans are embarrassing.

J70

Far too early to be classing Donegal up there with the likes of Tyrone in terms of Ulster challengers. Its encouraging how they've performed over the last few games, but while we should definitely put up a better show this year with the younger players having another season of senior football under them, league form is a poor barometer of summer performances, especially when it comes to Donegal. In addition, the likes of McFadden, who's playing very well right now, is a notoriously inconsistent championship player, while Donegal teams generally don't cope too well with hype and expectations, which are sure to increase if they clinch promotion. I'm definitely feeling much more optimistic about our prospects, but an AI quarter final run would go down as an excellent season to me, at this stage.

redandblackareback

Don Johnson

Would you have started this thread if Down hadn't been going so well lately?

By the way I'm Down as well.

Maguire01

Quote from: redandblackareback on March 21, 2011, 03:45:59 PM
1. Donegal
1. Down
1. Tyrone

4. Armagh
4. Derry
4. Monaghan

7. Antrim
8. Cavan
9. Fermanagh

Agree with you Western Exile that Ulster is a 3 tier province at the minute, and you v the 3 tiers perfect, the top 3 are way ahead of the middle 3 IMO and the middle 3 are ahead of the bottom 3. I think the gap between our top 3 and bottom 3 at the minute is as big as it has been in a long long while!!!
Get a grip, both of you!

Donegal in the top tier? Why? On the basis of results against Division 2 teams? A 3-point win against Sligo at home? A win against a Meath team who were beaten by Antrim and sitting in the relegation zone?

J70

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 21, 2011, 07:04:03 PM
Quote from: redandblackareback on March 21, 2011, 03:45:59 PM
1. Donegal
1. Down
1. Tyrone

4. Armagh
4. Derry
4. Monaghan

7. Antrim
8. Cavan
9. Fermanagh

Get a grip, both of you!

Donegal in the top tier? Why? On the basis of results against Division 2 teams? A 3-point win against Sligo at home? A win against a Meath team who were beaten by Antrim and sitting in the relegation zone?

Why did you omit the 7 point win away to Tyrone and the 6 point win away to Derry? :P. And it was a draw at home to Sligo, albeit after being 8 points down.

That aside, Donegal have proven nothing yet, as you say. Summer is when it counts and that remains to be seen.

ross4life

How about a neutral Point of view?

Tyrone
Derry
Armagh
Down
Donegal
Monaghan
Cavan
Antrim
Fermanagh
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open