Offaly to lose point won in Longford??

Started by Shamrock Shore, February 28, 2007, 01:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearglasmor

I can see the logic in a player who sought a hearing remaining banned until that hearing takes place.
But would it be equally logical that that ban would be consistent with his initial penalty.

By the rules, if he was reported by the ref for "abusive language", it seems that Casey's ban was only relevant for the level at which it was imposed, U-21.

If however it was reported as "threatening language" that is a different category offence and penalties apply to all levels, I assume this must be Longford's basis of appeal.

I don't know if there are definitions of abusive and threatening language contained in the rules, another example of the problem with fuzzy rules.

Then theres level.

Maybe "level" was intended to distinguish between club and intercounty, but that certainly is not clear from the rule and isn't it common for all of us to use phrases like
"at minor level" or "at junior level" etc.

Billys Boots

QuoteLongford's basis of appeal

I wasn't aware Longford were appealing anything, apart from Laythrum not going back to London.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

I think Longford have to appeal the result to get the points. Maybe they won;t because they are decent skins, not like them Kildare buckos.

Also, if they do, maybe Offaly will cop the feck on, and stop skirting the edges of these rules. Why did no one say, 'hmm ken got sent off last week. Are we sure he can play. Maybe we shouldn't chance it when he has an appeal outstanding.'

Also, Ken Casey deserves 6 months if he abused/threatened the referee. That shit has no place in the game.

Dinny Breen

QuoteMaybe they won;t because they are decent skins, not like them Kildare buckos.

Someone has to stand up for the spirit of the rules. The Biffos have no shame, a year in the Tommy Murphy might put some manners on them....
#newbridgeornowhere

Shamrock Shore

Well..the decision has been made.

Offaly -1
Longford +1

Will have a huge bearing come next month.

AZOffaly

I just hope we don't appeal now. It appears our county secretary (and team sec.) is going to fall on his sword.

Let's just take it, and try and recoup our loss in the next 4 games.

Shamrock Shore

I believe, AZ, that the county sec offered to fall on the sword the other night but he was told to put the sword away.

I do believe that Longford were unaware of the faux pas by the Offaly Bize until a certain Laois, eh, executive, 'happened' to mention it in passing to a Longfordian and 'suggested' he should 'perhaps' look into it!

Lone Shark

While it would be grand to turn around and blame the neighbours for that kind of carry on, it still wouldn't change the fact that the problem arose when the ball was thrown in with Ken Casey on the field. Rumours like that have a way of gathering steam, all that is to be said that either it's not true, or else it is, in which case it's a horrible way to live and karma will find a way of returning the favour somewhere down along the line. One way or another Longford deserve the points and we don't.

If it forces Pat Roe and co to focus the minds on the upcoming games, then great - the problem is that this week, when you'd expect there to be a bit of a backlash, we have London coming up - I'd much prefer to have Monaghan or Roscommon on the agenda, the two games that'll now be the making or breaking of the season.

Anyone hear how long Casey got for playing while suspended? As AZ said, his first offence deserved a lot more to begin with.

Shamrock Shore

LS

Casey has been sent down for six months.

Billys Boots

QuoteCasey has been sent down for six months.

Ouch!  Just how bad was his offence?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Dinny Breen

Quotekarma will find a way of returning the favour somewhere down along the line

Oh the irony   ;)
#newbridgeornowhere

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 09, 2007, 08:59:13 AM
QuoteCasey has been sent down for six months.

Ouch!  Just how bad was his offence?
He got a second yellow for a trivial offence, i.e. a foot block that most people felt was accidental.
After a series of unfortunate events, Casey now has a 6 month ban.  ???
Crazy stuff when you consider what goes unpunished.

Lone Shark

In fairness, it wasn't the second yellow that he got suspended for, it was the abuse of the ref afterwards. Slightly different kettle of fish.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Lone Shark on March 09, 2007, 02:47:01 PM
In fairness, it wasn't the second yellow that he got suspended for, it was the abuse of the ref afterwards. Slightly different kettle of fish.
If Casey wasn't harshly booked for the second offence, none of this would have happened.

Lone Shark

Granted, but find me a game where there hasn't been a bad decision somewhere in there? Indeed I'd venture that every poster on this board has been on the wrong end of a dodgy card or crucial free given or not given somewhere in their playing career. 

I'm in complete agreement in that worse offences go unpunished every weekend in football and hurling, but taken on it's merits he was still bang out of order and was treated extremely leniently with the initial four weeks.