Offaly to lose point won in Longford??

Started by Shamrock Shore, February 28, 2007, 01:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Shark

Oh Lord - here we go. This is according to Hogan Stand, so treat it as such...

The Offaly County Board is continuing to insist that they were right to field Ken Casey in last Sunday's NFL clash with Longford.

A doubt has emerged over whether Casey was eligible to play last weekend after he was sent off in a recent Leinster Under 21 championship match with Carlow.

The Leinster Council has moved to confirm that Casey cannot play in next weekend's Under 21 tie with Longford but can't say whether he was eligible to play last Sunday because the NFL isn't their business.

It is understood that the Faithful County believed that the players was suspended only for the under 21s because he was sent off playing for the under 21s.

Bogball XV

Quote from: fearglasmor on February 28, 2007, 06:14:28 PM
Division 4 and Tommy Cooper beckons so  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Feck sake.

Well, finally it might come home to roost in some of the 'bigger counties' just what they've done with this new championship system - straight to the Tommy Murphy for ye (unless ye reach the Leinster final again)!!

Note:  and Derry expect to be there in 2 years time.

AZOffaly

I swear to God our County Board would make you embarrassed. It seems fairly clear cut that Offaly broke the rules here, and with the shenanigans of last year you'd imagine once bitten twice shy. I can't believe they are going to brazen it out.

I don't see any other outcome than the loss of the point. Perhaps Casey may be treated more leniently than a 6 month ban, but as regards the team, we broke the rules, probably through stupidity rather than malice aforethought, and now have to face the music.

London in January is nice anyway.

LaurelEye

Quote from: AZOffalyI swear to God our County Board would make you embarrassed.

County Boards have an ability to do that. I was cringing this time last year at every public utterance from Martin Skelly when the row over the Donegal match was going on, and when the match did eventually take place - in Donegal, as it was always going to - the result was even more embarrassing.

So we know how you feel.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Shamrock Shore

QuoteIt is understood that the Faithful County believed that the players was suspended only for the under 21s because he was sent off playing for the under 21s

Ah c'mon. That's a wind-up. In all me days looking at the GAA I've have never heard the "shur sent off in U21 doesn't matter for the seniors" argument. Would the Offaly County Board aplly the same reasoning to, on a mad example, a dual hurler taking a lad's head off with a hurl, getting a straight red and then togging out for the footballers the following week with no consequences!!!!!

The fact that it's on Hoganshite.com leads me to believe that is has a '3 euro note' quality about it.

Lone Shark

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 28, 2007, 10:03:38 PM
QuoteIt is understood that the Faithful County believed that the players was suspended only for the under 21s because he was sent off playing for the under 21s

Ah c'mon. That's a wind-up. In all me days looking at the GAA I've have never heard the "shur sent off in U21 doesn't matter for the seniors" argument. Would the Offaly County Board aplly the same reasoning to, on a mad example, a dual hurler taking a lad's head off with a hurl, getting a straight red and then togging out for the footballers the following week with no consequences!!!!!

The fact that it's on Hoganshite.com leads me to believe that is has a '3 euro note' quality about it.

The sad fact is that there are a lot of these vague rulings about these days. That being said, it doesn't make it right and I really hope they don't go pursuing this line.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 28, 2007, 10:03:38 PM

Mark Vaughan saga anyone??  The most ridiculous decision in gaa history imo would tend to back up the offaly county board here!!

Billys Boots

I thought our new President promised an end to shennanigans like this.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Dinny Breen

Why are Offaly always involved in these things, throw them out altogether  :P
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

QuoteWhy are Offaly always involved in these things, throw them out altogether

No need. We're doing a good job of throwing ourselves out  ::)

fearglasmor

From Uibhfhaili.com,    is there some other ruling that overrides this ?

QuoteGuys see the extract below from the GAA Official Guide 2007 version from the GAA.ie site

I have highlighted what I think is relevant to Casey's case. Unless there are some more rules in some other codes, my reading of it is that Casey was elligible for the Senior team.

Any views.

(b) Misconduct at Games, which consists of five Categories
of Infractions by Players which occur on or in the
vicinity of the Field of Play, and which occur
immediately before, during or after a Game:
Category I
Being ordered off on foot of a second Cautionable
Infraction.
Penalty:
(i) Fixed Penalty: Debarment from playing for
the remainder of the Game, to include any
extra-time
(ii) Fixed Penalty on Repeat Infraction: 2 weeks
Suspension in the same Code and at the same
Level
Category II
Abusive language towards a Referee, Umpire,
Linesman, or Sideline Official; Striking or
attempting to strike with hurley, with minimal
force; Kicking or attempting to kick, with minimal
force; Striking or attempting to strike with arm,
elbow, hand or knee; Behaving in any way which is
dangerous to an opponent; Spitting at an
opponent; Contributing to a melee.
Penalty:
(i) Minimum: 4 weeks Suspension in the same
Code and at the same Level, inclusive of the
next Game in the same Competition of that
Competition Year, even if that Game falls
outside the Suspension time period.
(ii) Minimum on Repeat Infraction: 8 weeks
Suspension in the same Code and at the same
Level as that at which the Infractions were
committed, inclusive of the next Game in the
same Competition of that Competition Year,
even if that Game falls outside the Suspension
time period.

AZOffaly

Bejaysus.

This seems crazy, but it might be yet another loophole in the GAA rules. I suppose it's obvious what the same 'code' is, but I think the same 'level' was brought in to stop lads sent off in county games being suspended for Club games only, e.g. at the end of a championship game where you are being beaten well. You decide, 'feck it, I'll lamp this lad because I'll only get a month and it'll be well over by next February'.

I don't think the Casey situation is what was meant, but it looks like it may be relevant here.

Level
Category II
Abusive language towards a Referee, Umpire,
Linesman, or Sideline Official; Striking or
attempting to strike with hurley, with minimal
force; Kicking or attempting to kick, with minimal
force; Striking or attempting to strike with arm,
elbow, hand or knee; Behaving in any way which is
dangerous to an opponent; Spitting at an
opponent; Contributing to a melee.
Penalty:
(i) Minimum: 4 weeks Suspension in the same
Code and at the same Level,
inclusive of the
next Game in the same Competition of that
Competition Year, even if that Game falls
outside the Suspension time period.

turk

AZOffaly

Seems very straight forward based on that rule quoted. It's probably the fact that Casey requested a personal hearing that has caused the confusion.

Colm Keys seems to think that this means he was automatically ineligible until the hearing. I haven't heard that before. Then again, the Indo are now just tabloid journalists without the red top banner.

Bord na Mona man

Given that Frank Murphy himself was involved in drafting these rules, I'd say there is lesser likelihood of loopholes being there to exploit. However I don't really approve of using loopholes to avoid justice.

If there is confusion in the rules over the status of a player appealing a suspension, then maybe there is a case. Or if clarification was sought and given that the player was eligible. Unlikely though.

I can understand why players who are appealing would still be banned in the interim. Every Tom, Dick and Rory O'Connell who got sent off would use the appeal process just to buy them time, so as to delay justice to allow them play the next important fixture.