Japanese earthquake

Started by stephenite, March 11, 2011, 07:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Kerry Mike on March 14, 2011, 01:49:26 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/13/world/asia/satellite-photos-japan-before-and-after-tsunami.html

Satelite pics of before and after tsunami, drag the blue cursor left and right on each pic, total devastation in these towns.

Incredible pictures.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Declan on March 14, 2011, 02:21:11 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1366031/Japan-earthquake-tsunami-survivors-pictures-country-laid-waste.html

Frightening images

The cockpit of that fighter jet looks like the best place to have been, they look very fragile machines but are probably tough buggers. Bit strange thinking a plane would have been safer in the floods than a boat.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

thejuice

Here's a video posted online March 9th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7QAZPb-IEQ

seems we could have been warned much earlier

edit: OK the second half of that video is a bit mental.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

orangeman

BREAKING NEWS

A quake-stricken nuclear plant in Japan has been hit by a third explosion in four days, amid fears of a meltdown.

The blast occurred at reactor 2 at the Fukushima Daiichi plant, which engineers had been trying to stabilise after two other reactors exploded.

One minister has said it is "highly likely" that the rods might melt. Radiation levels near the plant have risen.

The crisis was sparked by a 9.0-magnitude quake and tsunami on Friday.

Thousands of people are believed to have died, and millions are spending a fourth night without water, food, electricity or gas. More than 500,000 people have been left homeless.

Kerry Mike

3rd explosion now, that plant in Fukushima is on the brink of a catastrophe
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

orangeman

Quote from: Kerry Mike on March 14, 2011, 11:48:03 PM
3rd explosion now, that plant in Fukushima is on the brink of a catastrophe

What is the worst case scenario here Mike ?

Main Street

Hard to credit that armageddon could come about because a guy forgot to put fuel into the water pump

Tony Baloney

An exposed core combined with fire or explosion is not a good scenario. A China Syndrome type meltdown would f**k that area up forever.

Eamonnca1

I've been reading this in a bit more depth and it sounds like the media is playing up the risk for dramatic effect. Any headline with the word "nuclear" in it is probably going to sound worse than it actually is.

stephenite

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 15, 2011, 12:52:59 AM
I've been reading this in a bit more depth and it sounds like the media is playing up the risk for dramatic effect. Any headline with the word "nuclear" in it is probably going to sound worse than it actually is.

Have you got some links? Most reports I've read are pointing to the possible exposure of the rods and I'm not sure it gets much more dramatic than that

Celt_Man

Scary stuff... heading to bed now - half expecting to wake up to a nuclear meltdown... poor fookers
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Eamonnca1

Quote from: stephenite on March 15, 2011, 01:13:54 AM

Have you got some links? Most reports I've read are pointing to the possible exposure of the rods and I'm not sure it gets much more dramatic than that
I'm not hearing anything about the core being exposed. Those explosions only affected outer containment walls, the inner containment walls are still intact and if they keep venting steam to relieve the pressure then there won't be a Chernobyl style accident. A meltdown would be a bad job but still not on the same scale as Chernobyl, that was an inner containment wall blowing off and the core was actually exposed.

stephenite

I said that I've read about the rods being exposed

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/asia-pacific/nuclear-reactor-rods-exposed-2578838.html

Kind of hard to play this sort of stuff for dramatic effect, don't you think?

Tony Baloney

TEPCO have released data stating that 8 times the annual radiation limit was released in an hour.