Speeding Tickets

Started by FermGael, March 08, 2011, 12:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermGael

Right, after years of a clean driving record, I got a lovely letter in the post this morning informing me that I was doing 45mph in a 30 zone at 5 to 10 on a Sunday morning.
What can I expect points wise and fine wise for the above??
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

take_yer_points

Quote from: FermGael on March 08, 2011, 12:16:21 PM
right, after years of a clean driving record, i got  a lovely letter in th post this morning informing me that i was doing 45mph in a 30 zone at 5 to 10 on a Sunday morning.
what can i expect points wise and fine wise for the above??

Where did it happen?

I was caught doing 38mph in a 30 zone (in the north) by a fixed camera and got a letter from the PSNI stating their intention to prosecute. I sent back the letter saying I was the person driving and then i got another letter saying I had two options:

1) 3 points and £60 fine

2) £80 to attend a driving course (a few hours at the Kings Hall) and no points

I went for the second option so still have a clean driving licence

FermGael

Milltown Row2

the drive awareness course is only if you have done a certain amount over the limit. So it really depends on what the tolerance is for that camera.

I'm guessing if you have done 15 miles over the speed limit then you're fcuked
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: take_yer_points on March 08, 2011, 12:19:15 PM
right, after years of a clean driving record, i got  a lovely letter in th post this morning informing me that i was doing 45mph in a 30 zone at 5 to 10 on a Sunday morning.

Where did it happen?

I was caught doing 38mph in a 30 zone (in the north) by a fixed camera and got a letter from the PSNI stating their intention to prosecute. I sent back the letter saying I was the person driving and then i got another letter saying I had two options:

1) 3 points and £60 fine

I thought you would take_yer_points.

FermGael

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 08, 2011, 12:46:30 PM
the drive awareness course is only if you have done a certain amount over the limit. So it really depends on what the tolerance is for that camera.

they were my thoughts as well.  Just wondering how many points and what sort of fine to expect??

take_yer_points

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 08, 2011, 12:48:14 PM
Quote from: take_yer_points on March 08, 2011, 12:19:15 PM

Where did it happen?

1) 3 points and £60 fine

I thought you would take_yer_points.

very good :)

David McKeown

Quote from: FermGael on March 08, 2011, 12:49:19 PM

they were my thoughts as well.  Just wondering how many points and what sort of fine to expect??

If you respond that you were driving I'd imagine you'd either get the offer of three penalty points and a 60 fine or the course. If you want to take either of these then make sure you have both parts of your licence now as you won't be given much time to go get them.

In the event you have to go to court either because they don't offer the above or  you don't respond or have your licence  it'll probably be 3 penalty points and no more than 120 fine. I'd be surprised if the fixed penalty isn't offered.

One other thing if a court imposed penalty points they stay on your criminal record for life and stay on your licence for 5 years. They still only count for three. If the licence is endorsed without court the penalty points come off your licence after 4 years. Might be worth bearing mind if you hire cars abroad at all as some car hire companies get antsy about points
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

EC Unique

Quote from: David McKeown on March 08, 2011, 01:44:58 PM

If you respond that you were driving I'd imagine you'd either get the offer of three penalty points and a 60 fine or the course. If you want to take either of these then make sure you have both parts of your licence now as you won't be given much time to go get them.

In the event you have to go to court either because they don't offer the above or  you don't respond or have your licence  it'll probably be 3 penalty points and no more than 120 fine. I'd be surprised if the fixed penalty isn't offered.

One other thing if a court imposed penalty points they stay on your criminal record for life and stay on your licence for 5 years. They still only count for three. If the licence is endorsed without court the penalty points come off your licence after 4 years. Might be worth bearing mind if you hire cars abroad at all as some car hire companies get antsy about points

I thought points only lasted 3 years?

Denn Forever

Three years in the Republic.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: David McKeown on March 08, 2011, 01:44:58 PM

Are you sure its 4 years??

I'd to go to court for speeding and the lad was saying that it was a criminal record. Felt shit to be honest. Bloody mortring offence and i was labled a criminal FFS.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

redcard

Right, after years of a clean driving record, I got a lovely letter in the post this morning informing me that I was doing 45mph in a 30 zone at 5 to 10 on a Sunday morning.
What can I expect points wise and fine wise for the above??

you might scrape into the driver aware course. Most people get caught speeding in a 30 zone. might depend on your age also

FermGael

I was in the area that i was caught speeding today.
I had came of the outer ring and taken a left past the back of forestside, heading down towards the Ormeau Road.
Now the only signage i seen about speed limits was the 50mph sign on the dual carriage way.
The mobile speed camera was sitting at the traffic light's below Forestside on the right hand side.
I checked today(to the best of my ability) and there was no sign notifying a change in the speed zone that i could see.
Any chance of that argument working......

Maguire01

Quote from: FermGael on March 08, 2011, 09:14:16 PM
I was in the area that i was caught speeding today.
I had came of the outer ring and taken a left past the back of forestside, heading down towards the Ormeau Road.
Now the only signage i seen about speed limits was the 50mph sign on the dual carriage way.
The mobile speed camera was sitting at the traffic light's below Forestside on the right hand side.
I checked today(to the best of my ability) and there was no sign notifying a change in the speed zone that i could see.
Any chance of that argument working......
Not a hope!