The Luke "Ming" Flanagan Thread

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, March 08, 2011, 11:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

What do Independents do for the country?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 11, 2014, 01:16:31 PM

I know what Enda and Frankie Elbows did for Roscommon. Shut the A&E.

Ming did more for Roscommon in one term than any of the parade endless identikit suited-and-booted major party TDs have done in many years

The question you should be asking is what the 'major' parties have ever done. It has rarely been to represent the interests of their voters.

fearbrags

Ming  put this on his facebook yesterday as the polls open
Please Share. By far the most abiding memory of the last general election was watching my father in tears at a comment made in the Roscommon people by Ivan Connaughton. Responding to my announcement that I would only take 50% pay, ivan expressed the opinion that because I was mentally ill then thats all I deserved. My family, as with many other, has had plenty of experience with depression, but to see it thrown out as an acceptable form of abuse in a local newspaper was too much for my father to take. Today is World Mental Health Awareness Day. Just making people aware. Since the foundation of the state we have treated mental illness as a nuisance. The idea that someone with such an attitude could get elected to the Dail makes me feel very sad for this Country. Hopefully it wont happen. Vote for anyone but this individual. We deserve better.

Sad that he stooped so low

Syferus

Don't think Connaghton's conduct surprised anyone. Lots of people were burnt by him in the Athlone area too. The jig is almost up for Martin now.

fearbrags

Do we even know did Ivan ever say this  or what actually did he say?
bringing it up so late looks very suspect ,he could have brought it up earlier in the campaign or when it happened and give Ivan a chance to explain , apologize or neither , as it is, it looks like ""dirty tricks""
Now  I do like Michael Fitzmaurice  and think he will be much better than Ming as a  TD IMHO

seafoid

Fighting talk. Very unfair considering the relative state of the teams in the 2 counties

http://liveblog.irishtimes.com/ffdfcd4c51/LIVE-Byelections-Blog/

"A Mayo man never comes to the Hyde to give up." That's the latest from Mayo TD Dara Calleary, director of elections for Fianna Fail in the Roscommon South Leitrim byelection, my colleague Marese McDonagh reports.

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on October 11, 2014, 01:24:13 PM

Ming did more for Roscommon in one term than any of the parade endless identikit suited-and-booted major party TDs have done in many years

The question you should be asking is what the 'major' parties have ever done. It has rarely been to represent the interests of their voters.

He asked a question, and you couldn't answer it and told him to ask another question.  ::)
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on October 11, 2014, 02:18:43 PM
Fighting talk. Very unfair considering the relative state of the teams in the 2 counties

http://liveblog.irishtimes.com/ffdfcd4c51/LIVE-Byelections-Blog/

"A Mayo man never comes to the Hyde to give up." That's the latest from Mayo TD Dara Calleary, director of elections for Fianna Fail in the Roscommon South Leitrim byelection, my colleague Marese McDonagh reports.
He can start giving up now the ******.
Hopefully the transfers keep Connaughton out. The last thing Roscommon/Ireland/The Dáil needs is another fcukin FF Auctioneer trying to use politics to further his narrow business interests.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on October 11, 2014, 02:43:17 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 11, 2014, 01:24:13 PM

He asked a question, and you couldn't answer it and told him to ask another question.  ::)

I answered the exact same question earlier in the thread before you Rhubarbs turned this thread into some weird racism debate that had absolutely nothing to do with Ming.

..::)

Quote from: fearbrags on October 11, 2014, 02:16:57 PM
Do we even know did Ivan ever say this  or what actually did he say?
bringing it up so late looks very suspect ,he could have brought it up earlier in the campaign or when it happened and give Ivan a chance to explain , apologize or neither , as it is, it looks like ""dirty tricks""
Now  I do like Michael Fitzmaurice  and think he will be much better than Ming as a  TD IMHO

It was said to the f**king Roscommon People at the time! Just read what Ming said before you jump off the deep end the next time.

Syferus

Fitz elected without reaching the quota. Lovely.

Do feel for John Kelly - thoroughly decent man who in another life would have taken the seat Ming won in 2011. Ming was just better than Kelly and hitching his trailer to Labour did nothing to improve his popularity. Hopkins is as green as a field yet she got far more votes than a man who did so much for his county over decades. Politics is a funny old business.

Rossfan

The General Election is only 16 months away and with Laythrum going off with Sligo and North Galway coming in ...what will happen at all?
Will Ming stay in Europe. Will FF take a seat? Will Hopkins be selected instead of Elbows to run for the Blueshirts?
I expect Naughten to stay "Independent" to make sure he gets back in. Will the whole northern half od Roscommon have no TD?
You'd be sorry for John Kelly right enough but Labour is a no no in Roscommon and with Ming and Fitzmaurice his chances of ever making it as an Independent are gone.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Owenmoresider

Quote from: fearbrags on October 11, 2014, 01:40:01 PM
Please Share. By far the most abiding memory of the last general election was watching my father in tears at a comment made in the Roscommon people by Ivan Connaughton. Responding to my announcement that I would only take 50% pay, ivan expressed the opinion that because I was mentally ill then thats all I deserved. My family, as with many other, has had plenty of experience with depression, but to see it thrown out as an acceptable form of abuse in a local newspaper was too much for my father to take. Today is World Mental Health Awareness Day. Just making people aware. Since the foundation of the state we have treated mental illness as a nuisance. The idea that someone with such an attitude could get elected to the Dail makes me feel very sad for this Country. Hopefully it wont happen. Vote for anyone but this individual. We deserve better.

Well said, he could have easily provided proof of this 'comment', be it an online link or a newspaper cutting, given he said it was in the Ros People but for some reason chose not to do so. Well done to Fitzmaurice and in fairness I think he'll be a solid TD and comes across quite well, but Ming has not covered himself in glory with a smear job like that. Though given the margin in it I doubt it made much differ.

Syferus

Quote from: Owenmoresider on October 11, 2014, 10:08:37 PM

Well said, he could have easily provided proof of this 'comment', be it an online link or a newspaper cutting, given he said it was in the Ros People but for some reason chose not to do so. Well done to Fitzmaurice and in fairness I think he'll be a solid TD and comes across quite well, but Ming has not covered himself in glory with a smear job like that. Though given the margin in it I doubt it made much differ.

One look at the Roscommon People's website will tell you why there's no link. Keep trying though.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Syferus on October 11, 2014, 10:09:56 PM

One look at the Roscommon People's website will tell you why there's no link. Keep trying though.
You mean the 5 seconds it took me to get a link to all previous editions including those from February 2011?

Syferus

Quote from: Owenmoresider on October 11, 2014, 10:19:35 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 11, 2014, 10:09:56 PM

You mean the 5 seconds it took me to get a link to all previous editions including those from February 2011?

http://www.roscommonpeople.ie/pdfdetailarchive.asp?id=200

There's no way to search key-words in PDFs on the website. They even split the PDFs into single page files to make searching even harder.

If you really think Ming invented this out of thin air (going as far as to talk about Luke Snr.) then you have little concept of Ming or of the sneering tone of politics in the county.