Mayo v Billie Joe, 13th March 2011 McHale Park

Started by Barney, March 03, 2011, 10:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: Carbery on March 05, 2011, 10:35:52 AM
Who has replaced Billy Joe Padden in the Mayo team now that he is lining out for Armagh?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

It's funny how Hoganstand posters have multiple handles that reply to themselves with minutes  ::)  Sad really  :P
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 05, 2011, 01:53:20 PM
It's funny how Hoganstand posters have multiple handles that reply to themselves with minutes  ::)  Sad really  :P

ask the mods for the ignore pstg function. I find it works a treat Mayogodhelpus  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Tubberman

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 05, 2011, 10:28:22 AM

Did armagh not travel to mayo first game of the league in the 96/97 league? would have been pre christmas and i think ended in a draw? mayo just coming off an all ireland final defeat

Close! Was well after Christmas in 97, but did end in a draw in Charlestown.
Courtesy of Willie Joe again:

Mayo 0-13 Armagh 1-10 (Charlestown, 2/3/1997). MAYO: J Madden; K Mortimor (0-1), K Cahill, P Holmes; F Costello (0-1), B Heffernan, N Connelly (0-1); P Fallon, C McManamon (0-1); R Golding, J Horan, M Sheridan (0-5); D Nestor, J Casey (0-3), PJ Loftus. Subs: L McHale for Horan, D Byrne for Loftus.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

Quote from: the Deel Rover on March 05, 2011, 01:56:49 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 05, 2011, 01:53:20 PM

ask the mods for the ignore pstg function. I find it works a treat Mayogodhelpus  ;)

How does one do that deel rover?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

borderfox

I can remember Mayo and Armagh playing in a league Q/F double header in the mid 80s but not against each other.

I can remember Armagh getting well  beaten by Loais I think. I can still see joey cunningham scoring a fisted point that day which was disallowed. I think the score was 0-15 to 1-7 or 1-8.

Mayos game that day was against Monaghan (I think, could be wrong) and was a lot closer. I think it was 0-9 to 0-8. I cant remember who won to be honest only that it was a lot tighter than the first match.

Can anyone else remember these two league QFS?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DuffleKing

Was BillyJoe on the Mayo panel last year and when was he last a starter?

Tubberman

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 07, 2011, 11:12:30 AM

Was BillyJoe on the Mayo panel last year and when was he last a starter?

Yes, he was on last year's panel.
His last appearance came as a sub against Longford in the qualifier defeat.
From a quick check of the archive on www.mayogaablog.com, his last start for Mayo came as a half-forward in the NFL game against Tyrone in 2009 (ended in a draw in McHale Park).
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Cosmo Kramer

Billy Joe was a late addition to the panel last year, he wasn't involved during the league. Wasn't the right man to be brought off the bench against Longford and I'd question either the willingness of the likes of McGarrity to come on or the sanity of JOM in thinking it would be a better idea to put BJP on instead of him.

All in the past now I suppose - best of luck to BJP (other than this weekend of course!).
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

bennydorano

Mayo have looked very useful so far this season so another very difficult ask, but one we could win. Probably between Mayo, Monaghan and ourselves to see who accompanies Galway to Division 2. I wasn't as depressed about the Down match as a lot of other posters, but changes I would like to see for the next match are McKeever holding the centre and not man-marking their most dangerous player, young Grugan has to make way IMO and MOR will be lucky to keep his place. They may as well give Nippy a run out at CHF and see how he gets on. Team I'd like to see:

McEvoy
AM, Donaghy, F Mo
Dyas, CMcK, Duffy

Charlie & Toner

Mackin, Nippy, BJP
B Mallon, Stevie, MOR

DuffleKing

That looks close to the best we've available to us Benny. I think its a year (at least) too early for grugan. that being the case, we're not looking at too much new really. MOR is probably the only experiment as such - along with bjp. We should be good enough to get a result in mayo with them experimenting under new management.

Our forward line is very much there on potential. In reality, Mackin has been consistently short at county level unfortunately and my own view - time will tell - is that bjp is at best on a par with him. Nippy frustrates me. he has natural ability and demonstrates it consistently for his club. we only see glimpses with armagh - usually on the square - and we need to get the best out of him. Mallon is in a similar boat - we know he has ability but need to start seeing it. mor too - peerless at club level but we need to start seeing it in an orange jersey.

McK has to be at 6 as benny says and holding - a policy so vehermently criticised from 05 - 11 but probably the backbone of armagh's defensive solidity. With an eye towards developing the team, i'd look at:

McEvoy
AM, Donaghy, F Mo
Dyas, CMcK, an other

Charlie & Toner

Duffy, O'Neill, B Mallon
Nippy, Stevie, MOR

The usual 2 up i guess with an extra middle third man and mor out to 11.

bennydorano

If Lavery's fit there could be the temptation to throw him into MF and move Charlie to the HF line, especially with McGarrity in there for Mayo, it mightn't be a terrible idea but Vernon and Toner are starting to look like a formidable MF pairing and it would be a shame to break their recent good run.

Groucho

Quote from: bennydorano on March 07, 2011, 07:29:21 PM
Mayo have looked very useful so far this season so another very difficult ask, but one we could win. Probably between Mayo, Monaghan and ourselves to see who accompanies Galway to Division 2. I wasn't as depressed about the Down match as a lot of other posters, but changes I would like to see for the next match are McKeever holding the centre and not man-marking their most dangerous player, young Grugan has to make way IMO and MOR will be lucky to keep his place. They may as well give Nippy a run out at CHF and see how he gets on. Team I'd like to see:

McEvoy
AM, Donaghy, F Mo
Dyas, CMcK, Duffy

Charlie & Toner

Mackin, Nippy, BJP
B Mallon, Stevie, MOR

That team has two good backs and two decent forwards.....the rest are ordinary :o
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

bennydorano

Your point being? We're not that great? Not exactly news to the majority