Paddy O'Rourke Out!

Started by tevez, February 28, 2011, 10:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redandblackareback

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 21, 2011, 03:02:21 PM
Quote from: redandblackareback on June 21, 2011, 02:54:14 PM
Quote from: ck on June 21, 2011, 12:49:12 PM
Armagh would seem to have more potential candidates out there than any other county. There are Armagh men in high level football jobs all over the country yet Armagh are managed by a Down man. Some of these would include,
Kieran McGeeney (Kildare) Aiden O'Rourke (Kildare), Grimley (Meath), Justin McNulty (Laois), McEntee (Cross) Cathal O'Rourke and Ger Reid (Queen's), Enda McNulty (Leinster Rugby), Paul McGrane (Ballyhegan) - (Are there more?), not to mention the many Armagh lads doing good jobs in lower profile positions in clubs.

First of all its ridiculous to blame POR for the defeat, wobbler is right, the players are just not there anymore. Armagh lost men, great leaders and it will take a while before some of the current squad develop into that, bit similiar to ourselves...

As for the comment above... The simple reason bar the last name mention there why they wouldnt be considered for the Armagh job...

£

Thats why ;-)  they all love the above
I would concede the money bit, but as for the rest you obviously know SFA about Armagh football and the players available.

Well apples to be fair, I probably wouldnt know as much as you obviously  ::) but Im wise enough to realise there are no players with the same mental toughness and drive as mc nulty, bellew, mc geeney, mc grane to name a few... When you look at their replacements their poor men versions... Think its time for Armagh folk to swallow the reality pill and welcome back to being ordinary again dont start trying to blame POR... He was great when you s beat down, a tactical genius according to some clowns on here.

Applesisapples

Quote from: redandblackareback on June 21, 2011, 03:15:34 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 21, 2011, 03:02:21 PM
Quote from: redandblackareback on June 21, 2011, 02:54:14 PM
Quote from: ck on June 21, 2011, 12:49:12 PM
Armagh would seem to have more potential candidates out there than any other county. There are Armagh men in high level football jobs all over the country yet Armagh are managed by a Down man. Some of these would include,
Kieran McGeeney (Kildare) Aiden O'Rourke (Kildare), Grimley (Meath), Justin McNulty (Laois), McEntee (Cross) Cathal O'Rourke and Ger Reid (Queen's), Enda McNulty (Leinster Rugby), Paul McGrane (Ballyhegan) - (Are there more?), not to mention the many Armagh lads doing good jobs in lower profile positions in clubs.

First of all its ridiculous to blame POR for the defeat, wobbler is right, the players are just not there anymore. Armagh lost men, great leaders and it will take a while before some of the current squad develop into that, bit similiar to ourselves...

As for the comment above... The simple reason bar the last name mention there why they wouldnt be considered for the Armagh job...

£

Thats why ;-)  they all love the above
I would concede the money bit, but as for the rest you obviously know SFA about Armagh football and the players available.

Well apples to be fair, I probably wouldnt know as much as you obviously  ::) but Im wise enough to realise there are no players with the same mental toughness and drive as mc nulty, bellew, mc geeney, mc grane to name a few... When you look at their replacements their poor men versions... Think its time for Armagh folk to swallow the reality pill and welcome back to being ordinary again dont start trying to blame POR... He was great when you s beat down, a tactical genius according to some clowns on here.
Read my posts on POR. I said that beating Derry (or not) would show where he is at. There are enough good players in Armagh. Sunday's game was lost on the line. Iwas never a fan given his record with Down but was prepared to give him a chance. I know some Armagh fans lost the run of themselves when we beat Down but not all of us. We played good enough football at times on Sunday and Stevies second miss turned the game irrevocably. But look at the decisions made by the management. Most peopl agree that he can't analyse on the spot and make changes. Well if he can't he should get some one in who can assist.

DuffleKing

Ah we have to put up with some clowns on here - mostly down men I notice.

Redandblack - you might be good enough to post up quotes from armagh peiple who were happy with por after the down game and particularly referred to him as a tactical genius? Thought not

Por rightly got kudos for getting the defensive match ups right against down and his naïve policy of man to man marking happened to suit against his native county but was always destined to be found out in the long run. He had no alternative when this happened other than to shuffle the deck chairs. Certainly he wasn't capable of effecting change when it was badly needed in the first half.

It seems to be only down men who feel armagh don't have the players and one who doesn't know what to do with the players we have.

mackers

But the 1998-2006 team learnt the hard way too. Remember in their formative years they got hockeyed by Derry on a number of occasions and this give them a steely resolve to climb to the summit. By 2002 we had McGeeney, McGrane, McConville, Marsden, the McNultys who may not have had any more talent than some of our more prominent players now but they had great drive and leadership qualities.
We have to see whether the Toners, Vernons, Dyas's, Clarke's etc have this same drive and determination to overcome disappointments like Sunday and turn them into positives.
For me McKeever and McDonnell are the only players on our current panel that currently have the leadership qualities that our previous team had in spadeloads. Hopefully this will come over the next few years, we'll see.  Talent is not enough on its own, we need that bit of nous that our great team had.
POR is not faultless but he has tried to take Armagh away from the negative dirge that we were serving up from 2007 to 2009. I remember posting on here during this time saying that I wouldn't mind getting beat if we were at least trying to play football. On Sunday we were beaten trying to play football.  POR has taken us to the other extreme with some naive tactics but no matter how disappointed I was after Sunday I still felt better than I did coming out of Clones in 2009 after the Monaghan defeat and Croker after the QF in 2008.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Armaghgeddon

Why are down fans having a go at Armagh fans for wanting him out when they could wait to get rid of him either?
Armagh are not as bad as suggested on Sunday. They were not as bad as they were against Monaghan either. Both games were down to very poor tactical changes so stop trying to defend the management. Players should also take the blame but the defeat was primarily down to the management, not just POR the whole management.

Stop saying the POR is the man for Armagh when he clearly isn't, unless we get a good run in the qualifiers the majority of fans will want him out and there is a good chance he will be gone. By all means see what POR and co can do by the end of the year and untill then lets get behind the team.

If management was to change personally I would not mind having either McEntee or McShane as manager next year, both make tactical changes when they are needed and are not afraid to make subs when things are not working out. In the Crossmaglen games this year McEntee made changes in the first half and they proved to be good decisions.

Applesisapples

Quote from: mackers on June 21, 2011, 03:58:19 PM
But the 1998-2006 team learnt the hard way too. Remember in their formative years they got hockeyed by Derry on a number of occasions and this give them a steely resolve to climb to the summit. By 2002 we had McGeeney, McGrane, McConville, Marsden, the McNultys who may not have had any more talent than some of our more prominent players now but they had great drive and leadership qualities.
We have to see whether the Toners, Vernons, Dyas's, Clarke's etc have this same drive and determination to overcome disappointments like Sunday and turn them into positives.
For me McKeever and McDonnell are the only players on our current panel that currently have the leadership qualities that our previous team had in spadeloads. Hopefully this will come over the next few years, we'll see.  Talent is not enough on its own, we need that bit of nous that our great team had.
POR is not faultless but he has tried to take Armagh away from the negative dirge that we were serving up from 2007 to 2009. I remember posting on here during this time saying that I wouldn't mind getting beat if we were at least trying to play football. On Sunday we were beaten trying to play football.  POR has taken us to the other extreme with some naive tactics but no matter how disappointed I was after Sunday I still felt better than I did coming out of Clones in 2009 after the Monaghan defeat and Croker after the QF in 2008.
A lot of what you say is true and I certainly think we showed on Sunday that we can play a bit. We were slow to react on the line, but also Stevies decisions to go for goal, particularly in the second half had a bearing on the result. But POR is still being faithful to a couple of players who are too inconsistent.

fitzroyalty

All is not lost, though POR has certainly gone down in my opinion, have defended him in the past though anything less than a QF this year and he'll have to go IMO.

Nothing I can say other than Derry tore us a new one, the management made little attempt to rectify the problems when one or two simple changes could have made a huge difference. I hope we get a favourable draw in the qualifiers to boost confidence more than anything, also to try a few different players and maybe a bit of a shake up.

P.S. To all the Down 'experts': You's have been the benchmark for mediocrity for the last ten years and don't ever forgot that, last year's AI final appearance means nothing now so stop coming on here trying to highlight (and exaggerate) Armagh's inadequacies; obviously still hurting from that defeat  ::)

I hope it pisses rain in Ennis on Sat!  ;)

BerfArmagh

Mc Shane has no experience at senior level, managing minors is entirely different to managing senior players, Give POR a break, he simply has a good group of players available. There is very little strength in depth... granted he is slow to see or make changes. I'd be happy with a good run in the qualifiers... all depends on who we get, i can see a down rematch on the horizon

David McKeown

The thing that most worries about Armagh football this year is that POR has done enough to hold on to his job for next year. He survived in Div 1 and beat Down. Add to that, a number of people highly involved in his appointment and his continuation in the job hold high positions in the County Board now.

POR does deserve some credit for certain things but the things he deserves credit for are far outweighed by the things he should be criticised for. For that reason I would like to see someone else in charge next year however I'd be shocked if I do.  The fact POR is from Down is irrelevant for me.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

mackers

Quote from: BerfArmagh on June 21, 2011, 05:44:56 PM
Mc Shane has no experience at senior level, managing minors is entirely different to managing senior players,
He managed Granemore seniors before taking the minor job.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

John o connor

You armagh men are some craic , your one and only all Ireland was an example that hard work and being lucky to get a golden generation gives most counties hope that some day they to might win 1 maybe 2, but what gives you the devine right that you all seem to have of Armagh winning another , never mind spending time blaming everything on POR . All you need is a SSS .
Some one call the Irish news and book Jamie Clarke a Skinner Skills Session !! Job done

charlie stubbs

Quote from: John o connor on June 21, 2011, 07:55:20 PM
You armagh men are some craic , your one and only all Ireland was an example that hard work and being lucky to get a golden generation gives most counties hope that some day they to might win 1 maybe 2, but what gives you the devine right that you all seem to have of Armagh winning another , never mind spending time blaming everything on POR . All you need is a SSS .
Some one call the Irish news and book Jamie Clarke a Skinner Skills Session !! Job done
would hardly call it lucky.  Armagh where knocking on the door for a few years from the late 90's early 00's.  Another AI is a long way awayat this stage, dont think any armagh supporter thinks we have a devine right to win an ai, though possible ones could/should have followed between 03-06

Armamike

McGeeney isn't flawless - Kildare have been beat in Leinster the past few years by Louth and Wicklow - but you get the feeling he can generally get that little bit more out of a team and he's still learning his trade.  IMO Kildare don't have the same playing resources as Armagh, if we judge this purely in terms of underage and club success in both counties over the past 7 or 8 years. Armagh supporters do have a right to expect a bit from players who showed a lot of potential in their earlier years.
That's just, like your opinion man.

BerfArmagh

Quote from: mackers on June 21, 2011, 06:43:15 PM
Quote from: BerfArmagh on June 21, 2011, 05:44:56 PM
Mc Shane has no experience at senior level, managing minors is entirely different to managing senior players,
He managed Granemore seniors before taking the minor job.

Are you serious, you are comparing managing Granemore with managing a senior inter county team  ???

Groucho

Time to bring back the messiah.....

I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me