Paddy O'Rourke Out!

Started by tevez, February 28, 2011, 10:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naka

david that is the statement he made after the tyrone game, wouldnt read too much into it, but my understanding is that the county board want a stronger backroom team to assist as many like ourselves have been unimpressed with moves etc hopefully we get j mc entee (and say oisin in) with mc shane helping .
the indo today seems to agree with this

David McKeown

Naka

Im kinda holding on to whatever little hope I can that the third year isn't yet guaranteed but as I have said before I will be shocked if we dont have to endure POR for one more year.  On the plus side makes planning my holiday easy next year.

2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

PAULD123

Quote from: mackers on August 09, 2011, 12:52:08 PM
That's an excellent article by Peter Makem who is obviously a passionate Armagh man. I would agree with a lot of what he says there and I would have been one of the guys who said we don't have enough good players to compete with the big guns. Donegal's progression from the mauling we gave them last year should act as a huge incentive for all involved with Armagh football. We have a talented bunch of players in the 18 to 21 age group and they should be used in a similar way that the 92 and 94 minor teams were used. There's a huge onus on those with the authority to make sure this group and indeed all the work that was put into these players by guys like Paul McShane isn't wasted.

It is a decent article but a bit rabble rousing. His call to effectively wipe everything out an start again is a bit naive. Armagh have decent players a good training programme, the players are fit, strong and dedicated. He is right though about a need for a system. I believe that Armagh are playing mostly instinctively and not to a defined set of instructions which encompass the play of the whole team. Every player in the Donegal side knows what every other player is meant to be doing and how that ultimately will result in their winning a game. I don't think that is true of Armagh who seem to have distinct backs and forwards units with little understanding of a combined system to interact between them.

So Armagh need a system, one which is clear and includes the responsibilities of each player on the team, one which the players can commit to and believe in. After that the players skills, fitness, and desire is more than adequate to remain a top 8 county and challenge regularly for the honours. Paddy hasn't shown so far that he wants his team to play to a single approach and steadfastly stick to it. there have been lots of changes of approach. That is not helpful and Makem is correct about that, so all it needs is to agree a definitive approach and structure every training and every game to perfecting it. But this idea of total wipe-out to be reborn like a phoenix from the ashes is a bit dramatic.

onefaircounty

Quote from: David McKeown on August 09, 2011, 03:17:41 PM
I will be shocked if we dont have to endure POR for one more year. .

While i'm in favour of a change, he hasn't been anywhere near a disaster that leads us to enduring him. Two average seasons, nothing more, nothing less in my eyes. He isn't the man for me, but  don't think he has been a disaster.

Also, cleaning house in the backround and keeping the same man in charge will not solve the issues.

DuffleKing

Paul, you have an incredible knack of rehashing the oft repeated and glaringly obvious as your own opinion.
You're not generally too concise with it either.

lawnseed

heard today from a fairly good source that several decent replacements are to be approached this week informally. so thats good.. my man doesnt know if geezer was on the list.. so thats not so good. fingers crossed :-X
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Orangemac

Quote from: lawnseed on August 09, 2011, 05:53:48 PM
heard today from a fairly good source that several decent replacements are to be approached this week informally. so thats good.. my man doesnt know if geezer was on the list.. so thats not so good. fingers crossed :-X
I would be worried about what decent is. Positive news nonetheless.

Nothing could come as a bigger shock than hearing POR got the job, bit of a JFK moment, unless Willie Frazier is appointed!

Armamike

Makem rightly identifies the lack of organisation and a system of play as key in the current and recent Armagh set ups. Donegal and Dublin being timely examples of how  important these factors are and how quickly results follow.
That's just, like your opinion man.

David McKeown

Not happy at all with that.  The thing should be done right either POR is good enough to be Armagh manager and should see out at least his third year or else he isnt and should be asked to leave and a replacement appointed.  This cloak and dagger stuff is infuriating and highly disrespectful.  In the event none of these replacements want/are able to take the job then POR's position is untenable anyway.

If and I stress if this is true its another in a long line of balls ups by the county board

Sandy Hill

Quote from: David McKeown on August 09, 2011, 10:14:45 PM

Not happy at all with that.  The thing should be done right either POR is good enough to be Armagh manager and should see out at least his third year or else he isnt and should be asked to leave and a replacement appointed.  This cloak and dagger stuff is infuriating and highly disrespectful.  In the event none of these replacements want/are able to take the job then POR's position is untenable anyway.

If and I stress if this is true its another in a long line of balls ups by the county board

So typical of our inept County Board!
"Stercus accidit"

Armamike

Quote from: Take Your Points on August 09, 2011, 10:20:33 PM
Quote from: Armamike on August 09, 2011, 09:58:41 PM
Makem rightly identifies the lack of organisation and a system of play as key in the current and recent Armagh set ups. Donegal and Dublin being timely examples of how  important these factors are and how quickly results follow.

To be fair, he is saying nothing that hasn't been said already on this thread. Where his argument falls down is that he thinks a committee is needed to bring about the change that he has identified.  In the case of Dublin and Donegal it didn't take a committee, all that was needed was a good/competent manager allowed to get on with the reorganisation.  The question is how to find that right man.  Everyone knows that POR isn't the man for Armagh and Donegal went through a few before they got Jim McGuinness.

Agree with you on that. I think Peter Makem views the manager as just one cog and that managers come and go.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Applesisapples

Forget about Geezer we can't afford him.

Applesisapples

We are slagging off the CB on the word of an unkown source, if POR is being reappointed it could well be that they are looking to select a backroom team. POR may find that this makes his position untenable...maybe thats the plan?

brokencrossbar1

If there is new management being spoken to then this is going against Press reports.  He was on a 3 year term and it has been confirmed by the CB but I understand it still has to be apporoved by the club delegates.  If people really want POR out get onto you club delegates and get him voted out at the next meeting.  There is a shake up of the back room team, i have heard a few things, from solid sources, but is all rumour so will not repeat it.

David McKeown

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 10, 2011, 09:29:32 AM
If there is new management being spoken to then this is going against Press reports.  He was on a 3 year term and it has been confirmed by the CB but I understand it still has to be apporoved by the club delegates.  If people really want POR out get onto you club delegates and get him voted out at the next meeting.  There is a shake up of the back room team, i have heard a few things, from solid sources, but is all rumour so will not repeat it.

Thats not what I have heard I have spoken to a few delegates who are certain that as POR has a three year term any decision as to his future rests entirely with the management committee.  We had that fiasco a few years back where the delegates voted for Grimley but after consultation with the constitution were told it wasnt a matter for delegates.  So at this point and time I suppose its all speculation and conjecture.  I dont like the idea of a backroom staff being forced on POR either.  My preference is for a new manager but the whole thing should be done right.  If POR is to stay on then he and the county board should decide on his backroom team together