Paddy O'Rourke Out!

Started by tevez, February 28, 2011, 10:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Would we be naïve in assuming this is a done deal and that A O'Rourke will obviously come in to regenerate the Armagh setup? It really is astonishing thay Paddy has been left in place and is a terrible indictment of the the judgement of the county executive and Duggan in particular

orangeman

Mc Iver and Tally in now that Down are minus 2 good men ?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 22, 2011, 09:19:05 AM
Would we be naïve in assuming this is a done deal and that A O'Rourke will obviously come in to regenerate the Armagh setup? It really is astonishing thay Paddy has been left in place and is a terrible indictment of the the judgement of the county executive and Duggan in particular

I think you're being grossly unfair. I'd be very sure that Paul Duggan will play the hand he has been dealt to do the best he possibly can for Armagh.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: orangeman on August 22, 2011, 01:46:52 PM

Definitely think that would be a very good move but there needs to be an Armagh man at the head of it all.

sheamy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 23, 2011, 10:01:20 AM

Definitely think that would be a very good move but there needs to be an Armagh man at the head of it all.

How much money does Hugh Morgan have??!!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: sheamy on August 23, 2011, 10:10:25 AM

True :D  I remember McIvor getting a very serious dig once about that, he didn't like it one bit :D

sheamy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 23, 2011, 10:14:07 AM
Quote from: sheamy on August 23, 2011, 10:10:25 AM

True :D  I remember McIvor getting a very serious dig once about that, he didn't like it one bit :D

lol...there's alot of them boys about lad

DuffleKing

Its not one bit harsh Rufus. Duggan came in with much promise but has proved to be a very weak chairman with little competence in the way of leadership. The acceptance of POR for another year but dressing it up with new clothes is just the most high profile example.

Maybe there's a bigger problem here. Maybe the structures and politics of the county chairman's role does not allow for independent thinking or initiative? Maybe the perceived CEO type role is not workable and maybe the chairman is not weak of his own volition?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 23, 2011, 11:21:54 AM

Its not one bit harsh Rufus. Duggan came in with much promise but has proved to be a very weak chairman with little competence in the way of leadership. The acceptance of POR for another year but dressing it up with new clothes is just the most high profile example.

Maybe there's a bigger problem here. Maybe the structures and politics of the county chairman's role does not allow for independent thinking or initiative? Maybe the perceived CEO type role is not workable and maybe the chairman is not weak of his own volition?

The questions you ask suggest to me that you know as much as I do about the actual intricacies of the Chairman's role. On the basis that I do not know, I will not rush to judge.

I've said it before on this thread, but I'll repeat again - simply getting rid of POR is not an option if there is no adequate replacement. Many of the names touted as replacements are likely to be unavailable for numerous reasons.

Furthermore, I believe that it could be argued by some that POR has done enough to justify another year, i.e. Championship win over All Ireland Finalists Down, retention of Division One status after getting us there. Now, as people are happy to add 2 + 2 and get 5 on this Board, I should state that I would have issue with this view - however it is possible that there are those in power who genuinely feel that retaining POR is justified on the basis of his tenure to date - and issues of 'weakness' and 'competence' therefore do not apply.

Applesisapples

As I have stated on previous occasions POR was not my idea of an Armagh manager. However I do believe he has done enough to secure another year. I do have concerns about consistency and what appears from the stands to be a lack of togetherness both amongst the players and the management team, although I admit this is just my reading of body language, engagement between individuals and remain open to correction. POR was at most Championship matches last year and I would have expected to have seen some new faces in the championship but alas too few, but as an ex county player once said to me it is sometimes easier to get on the panel than off. I also feel that he has been overly influenced by others at times in his selection processes, an accusation many Down men would agree with.

snippets

The GAA needs to bring in rules about outside managers.  No one form outside a county should be allowed to manage a county.  Same rules need to apply to managers as players. 
this bus aint gonna drive itself.

DuffleKing

Certainly, like most, I know little of the intricacies of the Chairman's role within the Armagh county board. However, I have reasonable experience as a chairman - sporting and otherwise. The two extremes of a chairman's approach are to either facilitate or to lead and most fall somewhere on the line between the two.

As a step forward, Duggan was expected to be a leader and to initiate change and a drive towards better standards and professionalism across the board. The view generally among people who have interacted in those circles is that the expectation has not materialized.

There is a view floating around that this stay of execution for por is a holding pattern for a better candidate in 12 months time. If that were to prove true then it is a damning commentary on the top table's regard for football and footballers within the county.

Regarding por's justification of a claim on progress, it can be built around retaining division 1 status but anyone with an ounce of knowledge, and more tellingly anyone with any insight into the camp, knows that there has been no progress. There has been only regression and the players are thoroughly disillusioned. The co board must know this and must be expecting that a change of coaching staff will address this. The unwillingness to address the glaring issue is criminal in my book and is nothing short of neglect of duty on behalf of the county executive.

If the club delegates then endorse this malaise of mediocrity then at least we know that noone in authority really gives a fcuk so why should we and we can stop spending money supporting the team and its surrounds with a clear conscience.

Applesisapples

Quote from: snippets on August 23, 2011, 01:45:48 PM
The GAA needs to bring in rules about outside managers.  No one form outside a county should be allowed to manage a county.  Same rules need to apply to managers as players.
Why? Look at the expertise someone like Dinny Cahill can bring to Antrim Hurling or Geezer in Kildare or Micko or Mickey Moran.

sheamy

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 23, 2011, 01:51:47 PM
Why? Look at the expertise someone like Dinny Cahill can bring to Antrim Hurling or Geezer in Kildare or Micko or Mickey Moran.

Why? Because by and large outside managers are paid managers. If these individuals (not solely directed at the name above) were so passionate about the game why don't they go and take minor or u21 teams in their own counties for expenses only? It's all about the cash lads. Make no mistake about it. It distorts the whole scene and I cannot stress that enough.

Applesisapples

Quote from: sheamy on August 23, 2011, 02:06:17 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on August 23, 2011, 01:51:47 PM

Why? Because by and large outside managers are paid managers. If these individuals (not solely directed at the name above) were so passionate about the game why don't they go and take minor or u21 teams in their own counties for expenses only? It's all about the cash lads. Make no mistake about it. It distorts the whole scene and I cannot stress that enough.
Certainly that may be the case but at a time when the Ulster Council has more employees than Tesco why is it not ok for Counties to buy in expertise? Physios and Docters are paid, county secretaries are paid, perhaps if it was legitimised with appropriate rates of pay?