Hawkeye

Started by Orangemac, February 23, 2011, 11:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snippets

Why not put a horizontal post beween the top of the posts, make posts a certain height, fair bit taller than now and if it goes over that then its no score.  A simple plank of wood would stop the bitchin.  Id say we would need a second ref as a priority before hawkeye.  If any of the top guys get motivated to support hawkeye though it could happen fairly quickly.   
this bus aint gonna drive itself.

Bingo

While we on easy solutions, why not either change the colour of the posts or ball, so that one differs from the other. May be a case of a bit of dedate to get suitable colours that don't clash with many other things but for arguments sake it could work.

Jinxy

I'd make the top half of each post black to give a bit of contrast.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: snippets on July 27, 2011, 02:31:38 PM
Why not put a horizontal post beween the top of the posts, make posts a certain height, fair bit taller than now and if it goes over that then its no score. 

That would constitute a change in the scoring rules themselves: there's enough wrangling over how to capture what currently constitutes a score, never mind the messing with the scoring rules!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

David McKeown

Im not for the implementation of Hawkeye as I explained earlier but I don't like the idea of the side posts either as I think whilst they may reduce the number of incidents we get we won't eliminate them and it would be expensive to implement them at all games.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Jinxy

Quote from: David McKeown on July 27, 2011, 04:34:33 PM
Im not for the implementation of Hawkeye as I explained earlier but I don't like the idea of the side posts either as I think whilst they may reduce the number of incidents we get we won't eliminate them and it would be expensive to implement them at all games.

No it wouldn't.
They're just nets.

David McKeown

Surely though thousands who be needed to replace all existing nets at all grounds. As I said earlier I am very opposed to the hierarchy of rules created by technology.  All games should as close as possible be the same around the country.

Zulu

So you think we shouldn't slove problems at the highest level because we can't do at the lowest levels. I may have you mixed up with someone else but I think you coach soccer at the lower levels. When I played soccer we never had linesmen, except for very big games like cup finals, so if you're consistent you must think that linesmen should be removed from every level?

Jinxy

Quote from: David McKeown on July 27, 2011, 05:01:51 PM
Surely though thousands who be needed to replace all existing nets at all grounds. As I said earlier I am very opposed to the hierarchy of rules created by technology.  All games should as close as possible be the same around the country.

Clubs and counties would put them up themselves I'd imagine.
It could be subsidised by HQ.
It's not a massive operation.

neilthemac

get an Irish company to develop GAA goalposts with higher posts.
get them made from a strong polymer, like the wind turbine blades, so there isn't much swaying of the posts.

I dislike using technology at one ground, and not at another.
some umpires are simply not mobile enough to move quickly into the correct position to view the trajectory of shots.

if they are so intent on implementing technology then use a video ref for championship games.
scanners at all grounds and entrances so that a proper season ticket scheme can be introduced.

David McKeown

Quote from: Zulu on July 27, 2011, 05:43:11 PM
So you think we shouldn't slove problems at the highest level because we can't do at the lowest levels. I may have you mixed up with someone else but I think you coach soccer at the lower levels. When I played soccer we never had linesmen, except for very big games like cup finals, so if you're consistent you must think that linesmen should be removed from every level?

No you are spot on I chair one of the largest youth leagues in the North and coach an under 12 team. What I meant is I don't want to see games that are supposed to be the same level being subject to different rules. For example in Armagh if Cross' pitch was to get the posts with sides nets then they should either be taken down for league games or all teams in Armagh should use them as they are all playing at the same level and should therefore all be subject to the same rules. It's slightly different for underage games.

Jinxy

Mick O'Dwyer on RTE tonight said we should have extra nets, hawkeye and video refs FFS.

Jinxy

Quote from: David McKeown on July 27, 2011, 10:50:37 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 27, 2011, 05:43:11 PM

No you are spot on I chair one of the largest youth leagues in the North and coach an under 12 team. What I meant is I don't want to see games that are supposed to be the same level being subject to different rules. For example in Armagh if Cross' pitch was to get the posts with sides nets then they should either be taken down for league games or all teams in Armagh should use them as they are all playing at the same level and should therefore all be subject to the same rules. It's slightly different for underage games.

David, every pitch in the country would have them.
They're just nets!

borderfox

Perhaps we should use theidea of a second crossbar at the very top of the uprights so the umpires could get a better view, if the ball goes above the second crossbar 1/2 a point should be awarded and if the ball hits the 2nd crossbar and comes back into play it should be play on :P
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Bingo

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=152485

Irish indo reporting today that it would cost 500,000 per year to install hawkeye at championship venues.

Thats that then.