Hawkeye

Started by Orangemac, February 23, 2011, 11:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: Jinxy on July 27, 2011, 11:59:00 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on July 27, 2011, 10:50:37 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 27, 2011, 05:43:11 PM
So you think we shouldn't slove problems at the highest level because we can't do at the lowest levels. I may have you mixed up with someone else but I think you coach soccer at the lower levels. When I played soccer we never had linesmen, except for very big games like cup finals, so if you're consistent you must think that linesmen should be removed from every level?

No you are spot on I chair one of the largest youth leagues in the North and coach an under 12 team. What I meant is I don't want to see games that are supposed to be the same level being subject to different rules. For example in Armagh if Cross' pitch was to get the posts with sides nets then they should either be taken down for league games or all teams in Armagh should use them as they are all playing at the same level and should therefore all be subject to the same rules. It's slightly different for underage games.

David, every pitch in the country would have them.
They're just nets!
exactly, they're not a technological advance, they just help the referee and umpire determine if something was a score or not.
On the subject, do they even need the extra posts - sure could some sort of net not be thrown up between the (new higher) posts, if the ball's in it, it's a score, if not, then it's not.  You could have some sort of a pulley system to throw these up for every game and therefore wind shouldn't be an issue.

Jinxy

If we can put a man on the moon we can figure out how to develop a reliable and effective netting system.
I hope this Hawkeye talk is well and truly buried now.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thejuice

Remember, there is making sense and there is making GAA sense.

In that regard I reckon we should put the side nets on only one end of each field so that each team have a half to benefit of the ambiguity of the current system.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on July 28, 2011, 10:38:39 AM
I hope this Hawkeye talk is well and truly buried now.

So you're saying you're against this Hawkeye thing?

Jinxy

I'm leaning that way.

armaghniac

The GAA have announced that Hawk-Eye technology will be used on a two-year pilot basis for all Championship football and hurling games played in Croke Park from 2012.

A full review will be conducted at the end of the two-year period and the proposal is subject to Congress approval.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jinxy

Fear ón Srath Bán

Is that your nets manufacturing business fecked for the foreseeable then Jinxy?  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Jinxy

How much do you bet that the very first time there's a contentious square ball incident half the stadium will sit back and relax, safe in the knowledge that Hawkeye will sort it out.
"What's that you say? It doesn't adjudicate on square balls or Sheridan-esque wonder goals? It's costing a fckin fortune!"

Orangemac

The square ball controversies can be dealt with by going back to the change that was in the league a few years ago which the politburo at congress overturned.

Hawkeye is worth trialling for a few years, I'm sure costs have been weighed up. People say there have only been a few incidents of note but isn't it worth at least geting these right if it stops some county being beaten incorrectly.

I don't think the human mind can come up with technology that would prevent Joe Sheridan goals in fairness.

Jinxy

True.
He's just too good.

Orangemac

Umpire - "Did anyone switch that Hawkeye machine on?"

http://vimeo.com/48907347

rrhf

Like dont forget even Joe Sheridan himself thought it was a goal. 

rrhf

Quote from: Orangemac on September 05, 2012, 09:59:30 PM
Umpire - "Did anyone switch that Hawkeye machine on?"

http://vimeo.com/48907347

there right to conduct further tests on hawkeye, to see what ijits might be prepred to invest.  Could you imagine having a full time job testing hawkeyes suitability for Gaelic Games. Even Desire Farrell couldnt justify that one. 

Jinxy

So, is this happening or what?