SLIGO V TYRONE NFL 2

Started by rrhf, February 22, 2011, 02:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

The big battle of the red and whites versus the black and tans - well thats if O Hara is togging out!!   Suppose its time to start looking forward again.  Back to the scene of the coldest game perhaps in GAA history NFL 1986/87 - I think.  There was wind, snow, hail, sleet and puddles and the football matched the weather.  Any of ye remember it?  Sligo look to be struggling this year as are Tyrone - Id have expected them to be right tight opposition.  We have our own woes - whats going wrong over there on the west coast lads.  Can we get some sort of revenge for 2002 in Croke Park?       

Mano

We would need to show significant improvement from last Sunday if we are to win this game. There are also likely to be some changes in personnel with Egan, Costello back from injury and Kennedy starting in the full back line. Tyrone have had a very poor start to the league but many of their players have won 3 all-Irelands (Ricey, Gormley, Kavanagh, O'Neill, McGuigan, McGinley, Harte) so its only a matter of time before they begin to get things together again.

Home advantage hopefully will be of benefit to us but the 2 points will be very hard won against an experienced Tyrone team. Midfield has been a wasteland for Sligo this year but i don't think Tyrone are as strong in that area as Meath are at the moment. Hopefully we get enough ball into our forwards to put up a goal score and win with a point or 2 to spare.

ONeill

Is this the first time Tyrone and Sligo have met since '02?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

maguire 4 mayo

Quote from: Mano on February 22, 2011, 04:55:25 PM
We would need to show significant improvement from last Sunday if we are to win this game. There are also likely to be some changes in personnel with Egan, Costello back from injury and Kennedy starting in the full back line. Tyrone have had a very poor start to the league but many of their players have won 3 all-Irelands (Ricey, Gormley, Kavanagh, O'Neill, McGuigan, McGinley, Harte) so its only a matter of time before they begin to get things together again.

Home advantage hopefully will be of benefit to us but the 2 points will be very hard won against an experienced Tyrone team. Midfield has been a wasteland for Sligo this year but i don't think Tyrone are as strong in that area as Meath are at the moment. Hopefully we get enough ball into our forwards to put up a goal score and win with a point or 2 to spare.

whats up with the midfield ? was this not in good shape and settled last year for ye  ?

omagh_gael

Quote from: ONeill on February 22, 2011, 06:52:16 PM
Is this the first time Tyrone and Sligo have met since '02?

I think so. Hopefully we get better redemption than the anticipated revenge mission against Meath in '07!

tyroneman

Will Girvan, McNeice and Donnelly see some action against Sligo?

Will Mugsy start?

Will we see SoN on bench?

I would give McKenna and Cass a lash in MF.

up tyrone

Quote from: tyroneman on February 22, 2011, 08:00:37 PM
Will Girvan, McNeice and Donnelly see some action against Sligo?

Will Mugsy start?

Will we see SoN on bench?

I would give McKenna and Cass a lash in MF.
Why are you obsessed with donnelly,sures he`s not in the squad.Girvan injured and wont be available for 3wks.

rrhf

Lads theres no doubt Mc Kenna is the real deal and has all the ingredients but give him time.  We seen two big hits on him on Saturday and him having to retire injured.  Just dont expect it all every day.   

ck

Going to be an intriguing affair. Sligo have a couple of injuries but all in all in decent enough form. Showed very well v Donegal. I can see a Tyrone backlash though. Papers giving them a hard time this week. If they are half the team we all know they are then I would expect them to come out and silence a few people.

tyroneman

QuoteWhy are you obsessed with donnelly

Eh? I was referring to Sparky Donnelly who has been in the squad.

Mano

Quote from: maguire 4 mayo on February 22, 2011, 06:55:31 PM
Quote from: Mano on February 22, 2011, 04:55:25 PM

whats up with the midfield ? was this not in good shape and settled last year for ye  ?

Doesn't seem to be any strategy on our own kickouts - just kick it long and hard into midfield and see what happens. Our 2 midfielders are too small - can't compete against tall midfielders. The 2 Meath monsters caught about 10 kickouts last Sunday.
Last year we competed well as Mayo midfield pairing didn't seem interested and Galway have same problem as ourselves. We were found out against the Roscommon and Down midfield.

Club Rossa

I would be expecting a positive reaction from Tyrone this week after the Donegal performance.We need to get something from this game but one thing's for sure,it will be a real struggle to get anything in Sligo's own backyard.They are also in need of points so that will make it an even harder task for Tyrone.

SLIGONIAN

Whoever loses this game is relegated.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ross4life

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 23, 2011, 04:40:39 PM
Whoever loses this game is relegated.

Jaysus i don't know, only 2/3 in but the losers will have a hell of fight on their hands to stay up
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

red hander

After Saturday night's performance I said to myself leaving Omagh there was no way I was driving from Belfast to Sligo and back on Sunday ... but needless to say, I will be.  Hopefully the second half against Donegal was an aberration.  I don't think so many of our boys can play so badly again in one game.  I was fairly happy with the performance against Derry.  More of the same against Sligo and we can win