The Best Football Points and Saves

Started by laochra_gael, February 21, 2011, 04:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winsamsoon

The first one that comes to mind was Maurice Fitzgeralds clinker.

The Armagh goal against Kerry was as well worked and direct as you will probably see. The ball kicked out and broken down lovely in a lay off to Mc Conville who wrecked the net.

The other point is from the same game Ronan Clarkes point in the first half that he hit from about 60 yards with his left foot. The ball seemed to hang in the air for an eternity before just scrapping over the bar. Some stuff lads.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

3000 miles away

John Mc Entee has hit some clinkers for both club and county, a few that really stick out are:    cross versus clontibret in 07 in breffni park, i was in the stand, in line with him and the goals,he was about 60 yards out and let fly, when the ball started out it looked to be going 15 yards wide and then it started to swerve in towards the posts and sailed over the black spot, also one versus st johns belfast in 98 ulster club 2nd last kick of the game on the gerry arthurs stand side bout 40 yards out along sideline, massive kick with inside of the boot and straight over for a win.

haze

Quote from: Jinxy on February 21, 2011, 04:28:43 PM
Graham Geraghty just in from the endline against Dublin in 2005.

Was that kicked with his left? Looking to settle a small bet- housemate thinks it was on his right from his hogan stand side on the canal end, I though left foot...

Thought I'd find it on YouTube but no luck. Looks like your man Gaabeo is no longer on YouTube- massive reduction in the GAA catalogue of videos available!

SHEEDY

ross carrs point to force a replay against derry in the athetic grounds in 91. down went on to win the replay and the rest they say is history.
nil satis nisi optimum

winsamsoon

Some score taken off the ground by the cork lad this year to defeat the mighty Kerry in the national league
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Orangemac

Quote from: 3000 miles away on February 22, 2011, 03:51:58 PM
John Mc Entee has hit some clinkers for both club and county, a few that really stick out are:    cross versus clontibret in 07 in breffni park, i was in the stand, in line with him and the goals,he was about 60 yards out and let fly, when the ball started out it looked to be going 15 yards wide and then it started to swerve in towards the posts and sailed over the black spot, also one versus st johns belfast in 98 ulster club 2nd last kick of the game on the gerry arthurs stand side bout 40 yards out along sideline, massive kick with inside of the boot and straight over for a win.
Another one was against Enniskillen around 2000/2001 from the left hand sideline to win Ulster Championship in Clones.

Hardy

Quote from: haze on February 22, 2011, 09:35:44 PM

Was that kicked with his left? Looking to settle a small bet- housemate thinks it was on his right from his hogan stand side on the canal end, I though left foot...

Thought I'd find it on YouTube but no luck. Looks like your man Gaabeo is no longer on YouTube- massive reduction in the GAA catalogue of videos available!

It was the left.

Jinxy

Quote from: haze on February 22, 2011, 09:35:44 PM

It was definitely off his left.
It used to be on youtube as part of a clip of that Dublin documentary from 2005.
He was untouchable in the first half of that game.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

timmyot501

Cavan v Kerry in 1997 in New York to mark the anniversary of the Polo grounds final. Maurice Fitz stops the ball from going over the endline with a backheel.  He then loops around to take the pass from a colleague and fires it over the bar

At least I think thats how it happened.

Redandblackarmy

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 21, 2011, 11:56:32 PM
Damien Reily's volleyed equalising point versus Donegal in 1992.
Fantastic score.

The hooked point...made a video of it a while back...great score...check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8iZO2BmUxA

Hardy

lenny

Johnny McGurks winning point v Dublin in all ireland semi in 1993. Fantastic score. Also Eamon Burns point for Derry v Down in 1991. Think it won score of the championship that year.

Estimator

Quote from: lenny on February 23, 2011, 07:23:37 PM
Johnny McGurks winning point v Dublin in all ireland semi in 1993. Fantastic score. Also Eamon Burns point for Derry v Down in 1991. Think it won score of the championship that year.
It didn't. For some reason the BBC's Championship ran a Goal of the Championship, not a Score of the Championship '91. In 1992, it changed to Score of the Championship.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Bogball XV

Quote from: SHEEDY on February 22, 2011, 10:13:21 PM
ross carrs point to force a replay against derry in the athetic grounds in 91. down went on to win the replay and the rest they say is history.
From his own 50 if I remember rightly.

The Mayo minor keeper (Slingerman?) v Down in the minor semi final in 2009 pulled off a pile of great saves iirc.

MacNamara for Galway v Roscommon in the 98 Connaught final (i think) and he also made a string of saves against derry in the semi-final that year.

time ticking away

Peter Canavan has yet to be mentioned... unbelieveable
Ulster semi final 1994 v Donegal and Ulster semi 1995 v Derry
The first was on a horrible wet day and the second was after a great hit from Henry Downey
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......