Down V Armagh - Newry 26th Feb

Started by 5 Sams, February 21, 2011, 10:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angermanagement

Clarke has played one season inter county football and was instrumental in his team reaching the AI final, you only have to hear his fellow players speak about how important he was to the teams success last season. He's not the complete player but who has said he is, as for comparing the Martin Clarke of underage football and now is complete nonesense, he's playing against the very best players in Ireland not underage or college football where his size, strength and speed made it easier for him to glide past opposition players but as you reach the highest level of the game players struggle to do this and have to adjust there game in order to succeed as Martin Clarke has done.

Impossible to call the winner tomorrow night at this stage but there'll probably be only a point or two in it either way at the end.

Sheedy

was really confident of a down win earlier in the week but after seeing the down team, im now less confident. imo down have better players sitting on the bench than on the field. would have loved to have seen mutagh and john clarke back on the teamsheet. feel they would have brought much needed power and strength up front. feel aiden carr has also done enough to earn a start. down have played the 2 worst teams in div1 and struggled at times against both. bigger challenges lie ahead,starting on sat night. i hope im proved wrong and the team delivers and gets 1 over the "aoul enemy".
nil satis nisi optimum

PAULD123

I am disappointed Garvey wasn't selected, he looked fit enough when he came on for Howard. I had hoped he would mark Stevie. I think Garvey is an excellent marker and would be a good man for the job.

There is no doubt Down have a team good enough to beat Armagh, and we haven't been able to say that for about ten years. But also Armagh are good enough on talent alone to beat Down. It will come down to the performance on the night. If one team clicks then they will certainly win. If both teams play their best then Down will win because Armagh are missing R.Clarke and the Cross boys.

PAULD123

Armagh Team:

1. Philip Mc Evoy Dromintee
2. Andy Mallon Pearse Og
3. Brendan Donaghy Clonmore
4. Finnian Moriarty Wolfe Tones
5. Kevin Dyas Dromintee
6. Ciaran Mc Keever St. Patrick's
7. Paul Duffy Pearse Og
8. Kieran Toner Granemore
9. Charlie Vernon Armagh Harps
10 Rory Grugan Ballymacnab
11 Micheal O'Rourke Dromintee
12. Malachy Mackin St. Patrick's
13. Billy Joe Padden Carrickcruppin
14. Gareth Swift Armagh Harps
15. Steven McDonnell Killeavy

16. John Mc Cullagh Carrickcruppin
17. Gavin McParland Ballymacnab
18. Colm Watters Cullaville
19. Conor Clarke Pearse Og
20. John Murtagh Crossmaglen
21. Brian Mallon Tir na nOg
22. Gareth O'Neill Dromintee
23. Declan McKenna Armagh Harps
24. James Lavery Maghery

orchard 8195

Quote from: angermanagement on February 25, 2011, 02:11:14 PM
Clarke has played one season inter county football and was instrumental in his team reaching the AI final, you only have to hear his fellow players speak about how important he was to the teams success last season. He's not the complete player but who has said he is, as for comparing the Martin Clarke of underage football and now is complete nonesense, he's playing against the very best players in Ireland not underage or college football where his size, strength and speed made it easier for him to glide past opposition players but as you reach the highest level of the game players struggle to do this and have to adjust there game in order to succeed as Martin Clarke has done.

Impossible to call the winner tomorrow night at this stage but there'll probably be only a point or two in it either way at the end.

Yeah maybe im being a bit hard on the man considering it was his first full year at intercounty level , i as a lover of the game would just like to see a bit more outve him thats all (Though obviously not against the orchard) he showed glimpses of real class last year but i think his overall influence was slightly exaggerated by the media. When your saying comparing the underage Martin Clarke to now as nonsense i have to disagree. While obviously he is not going to dominate matches like he did at underage i was making the point that he doesnt seem to have the same pace or willingness to carry the ball that marked him out as a great talent before he went to oz. For example Sean Cavanagh was always a brilliant carrier of the ball at underage and then carried that onto his best years at senior level. Thats just one example i can think of off the top of my head. Do you think his time in australia has made him a better Gaelic Footballer?

David McKeown

Quote from: orchard 8195 on February 25, 2011, 01:13:31 PM
Quote from: redandblackareback on February 24, 2011, 12:41:22 PM
Quote from: orchard 8195 on February 24, 2011, 12:24:39 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on February 24, 2011, 09:39:21 AM
I can't see how anyone thinks Armagh has better players - Hello 4 All Stars? and another 3 All star nominations, and McKernan was clearly robbed of one. Who are all these Armagh players that are better than Dan Gordon, Benny Coulter, Marty Clarke, Danny Hughes, Brendan McVeigh, Kevin McKernan, Conor Garvey, Decky Rooney?

Dan Gordan has been playing full back, Not in same league as brendy donaghy in this position, Benny Coulter, Hughes and Clarke (Who i think is a bit overated) yes would def get onto most teams in the country, McVeigh is of similar ability to Hearty, Kevin McKernan is excellant going forward and would make it onto our half backline Although his defensive capabilities are suspect when playing from 5-7 (Remember he was dropped for a period for down last year mainly because of this) Garvey and Rooney are not better than what we have at our disposal in the backline.
Just my opinion and this hasnt been tainted by a major Down dislikening like many in my county have as i reserve this for our red hand neighbours!!! ;)

Dont disagree with you on Donaghy, a class act, if we had him last year we would have won the all ireland no doubt about it. Think your way of the mark with the Clarke overrated statement if you watch closely everything goes through him, everything down do welll he s involved. Hearty for me is a pudding no offence and last year was mc veighs best year in a Down shirt. As regards Garvey, he is an excellant man marking and proved this last year on route to the final. Saturday will be tough for Armagh but right now I personally believe we have one of the best forward lines in Ireland, a big statement but statistics dont lie, 3 of the 6 all stars last year.

I saw Martin Clarke many times at underage level and have to say he was the best underage player i have seen, However i feel his time at aussie rules has put him back as a player rather than forward. At underage he was all about blistering pace, taking players on and carrying the ball, this was as well as having a fantastic left peg. Now he is a different player, instead prefaring to play the "Quarter back" role at number 11. I think this is for two reasons 1. He has bulked up to much in oz and hasnt the same pace as he previously had, 2. in oz rules he was not able to carry the ball because of the tackle. I just think his time there has taken the edge and (good) rawness from his game. While still a great player i just feel the media over emphasise his role in every game he plays because of who he is. IMO opinion he would come behind coulter, hughes Rodgers and possibly dan Gordan at midfield as your best player.
Also while Hearty has had some v dodgy moments in the past (As all Goalkeepers do) last year he had a fine season.

Have to say any time I have watched Clarke which has probably only been in about 10-12 games I have found him to be a massive talent who looked a cut above most others on the pitch.  For me he was easily the best player on the pitch v Armagh in the McKenna cup and I thought the only reason Armagh were able to win that game was because he went off with 10 to go.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Stevie Nicks

Quote from: David McKeown on February 25, 2011, 06:02:46 PM
Quote from: orchard 8195 on February 25, 2011, 01:13:31 PM
Quote from: redandblackareback on February 24, 2011, 12:41:22 PM
Quote from: orchard 8195 on February 24, 2011, 12:24:39 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on February 24, 2011, 09:39:21 AM
I can't see how anyone thinks Armagh has better players - Hello 4 All Stars? and another 3 All star nominations, and McKernan was clearly robbed of one. Who are all these Armagh players that are better than Dan Gordon, Benny Coulter, Marty Clarke, Danny Hughes, Brendan McVeigh, Kevin McKernan, Conor Garvey, Decky Rooney?

Dan Gordan has been playing full back, Not in same league as brendy donaghy in this position, Benny Coulter, Hughes and Clarke (Who i think is a bit overated) yes would def get onto most teams in the country, McVeigh is of similar ability to Hearty, Kevin McKernan is excellant going forward and would make it onto our half backline Although his defensive capabilities are suspect when playing from 5-7 (Remember he was dropped for a period for down last year mainly because of this) Garvey and Rooney are not better than what we have at our disposal in the backline.
Just my opinion and this hasnt been tainted by a major Down dislikening like many in my county have as i reserve this for our red hand neighbours!!! ;)

Dont disagree with you on Donaghy, a class act, if we had him last year we would have won the all ireland no doubt about it. Think your way of the mark with the Clarke overrated statement if you watch closely everything goes through him, everything down do welll he s involved. Hearty for me is a pudding no offence and last year was mc veighs best year in a Down shirt. As regards Garvey, he is an excellant man marking and proved this last year on route to the final. Saturday will be tough for Armagh but right now I personally believe we have one of the best forward lines in Ireland, a big statement but statistics dont lie, 3 of the 6 all stars last year.

I saw Martin Clarke many times at underage level and have to say he was the best underage player i have seen, However i feel his time at aussie rules has put him back as a player rather than forward. At underage he was all about blistering pace, taking players on and carrying the ball, this was as well as having a fantastic left peg. Now he is a different player, instead prefaring to play the "Quarter back" role at number 11. I think this is for two reasons 1. He has bulked up to much in oz and hasnt the same pace as he previously had, 2. in oz rules he was not able to carry the ball because of the tackle. I just think his time there has taken the edge and (good) rawness from his game. While still a great player i just feel the media over emphasise his role in every game he plays because of who he is. IMO opinion he would come behind coulter, hughes Rodgers and possibly dan Gordan at midfield as your best player.
Also while Hearty has had some v dodgy moments in the past (As all Goalkeepers do) last year he had a fine season.

Have to say any time I have watched Clarke which has probably only been in about 10-12 games I have found him to be a massive talent who looked a cut above most others on the pitch.  For me he was easily the best player on the pitch v Armagh in the McKenna cup and I thought the only reason Armagh were able to win that game was because he went off with 10 to go.

Was at the McKenna cup game and have to say if I was a down supporter I would have been frustrated with him as all night he was looking for a killer pass which didn't always work, he never took the easy option which would have been more sensible on numerous occasions. No doubt he is a massive talent but is it not right this year is his last for a while and he is heading back down un der next year?

Dubh driocht

This is more like the debate we needed coming into this very important game for both sides. Not sure about the Down selection myself but in James we trust.

E = MC squared

Genius = MC

That will be the difference

John o connor

I know I really should nt rise to some of the rubbish posts this week but any one who doubts M Clarkes ability obviously has nt watched him to often and don't forget only one year of senior football under his belt . To the match tomorrow night it's looking tight but hope we ll sneak it by a point or two , think Armagh have the upper hand at the back 6 and opposite for us !

ardchieftain

Absolutely ridiculous debate on Marty Clarke. He oozes class and if you can't see that i'd suggest a visit to the opticians. Wish we had him in our team.

Hopefully we don't start slowly and if we can keep it tight all the way through we can get a result.

Come on Macha's men !!

Sheedy

nil satis nisi optimum

you take er!

One glance at each bench will tell you who holds the upper hand in terms of squad. Over half the Armagh bench in their first season and the quality of many is very questionable. J Murtagh, G O'Neill, C. Clarke, C Watters G McParland all yet to prove they are of county standard.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: you take er! on February 26, 2011, 05:46:25 PM
One glance at each bench will tell you who holds the upper hand in terms of squad. Over half the Armagh bench in their first season and the quality of many is very questionable. J Murtagh, G O'Neill, C. Clarke, C Watters G McParland all yet to prove they are of county standard.
That would be my worry, Down have an abundance in talent in comparison. Would be delighted with a draw.

Niall Quinn

Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Groucho

Scoreline hides a very poor performance from Armagh.....A Mallon way past his best, don't know how he wasnt switched, no ball winners in half forward line, no gameplan evident, at times Down looked like they had extra men all over the pitch.

Apart from that all ok ;)
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me