Sraith Peile Náisiúnta - Babhta 2 - An Mhí Vs Sligeach, An Uaimh

Started by thejuice, February 13, 2011, 01:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Well Sligo got a draw last time out against Donegal while Meath couldn't keep up with Laois and lost by 3 points.

Sligo are definitely on an upward curve these last few years under Kevin Walsh. Meath are looking much the same as last year despite the arrival of Séamus McEneaney.

The last time these teams met if I'm not mistaken was 2004. Sean Bolyan was still in charge for Meath and there were a number of fresh faces on display including Joe Sheridan, Brian Farrell. Old faces that have since moved off the stage included Trevor Giles, Evan Kelly, Darren Fay. The team also included Niall Kelly who despite heroics for Eamon Barry's Dunshaughlin never featured much in the Royal County jersey. However I can't tell you who wont that encounter. could any one shed some light on that?

As for who will win this one, as stated after the Laois game the backs remain a problem, midfield is still up for grabs for Gillespie, Ward and Meade. Also the forwards need to start working with each other. Joe, Brian and Graham are dangerous on their own but they never seem to connect with each other. Cian Ward nor Shane O'Rourke have grasped the free takers role yet as they both have disappointing returns on their efforts in the last 2 games.

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

sligoman2

hard to know what will happen in this one.  We looked great for 50 mins against Donegal but I'm not sure if it was because of us being so good or Donegal being awful.  Once again we let a big lead slip and I know Kevin Walsh will be working on fixing that one.
Last time we let a lead like that slip we responded well and managed to beat Galway in the replay.  Our fitness levels seem good and overall I think we are in good shape for this time of the year.  We need to get more participation from some players as I barely heard David Maye or Francis Quinn mentioned during the commentary for the Donegal game.
Obviously Meath will be favourites and they are Leinster champions ::)
I am interested in see what spread maddog puts on this.  I think we have a good chance here if we learn to put away all the goal chances we create.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Jinxy

Quote from: sligoman2 on February 13, 2011, 03:06:16 PM
hard to know what will happen in this one.  We looked great for 50 mins against Donegal but I'm not sure if it was because of us being so good or Donegal being awful.  Once again we let a big lead slip and I know Kevin Walsh will be working on fixing that one.
Last time we let a lead like that slip we responded well and managed to beat Galway in the replay.  Our fitness levels seem good and overall I think we are in good shape for this time of the year.  We need to get more participation from some players as I barely heard David Maye or Francis Quinn mentioned during the commentary for the Donegal game.
Obviously Meath will be favourites and they are Leinster champions ::)
I am interested in see what spread maddog puts on this.  I think we have a good chance here if we learn to put away all the goal chances we create.

I've told all the Meath players about your use of the rolly-eyes smilie in this context and needless to say they were livid.
Be afraid....... be very afraid.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

SLIGONIAN

I would have a different view to the radio on quinn sligoman2, as i stated earlier i wont be making my Sligo analysis in public , but looking forward to my trip to Navan, last week Donegal didnt suprise me playing lacey corner forward but in a free role around the middle and 13 men in there own 45, so with meath there physically stronger than us so we need to move ball fast but our lads are playing serious football atm so we wont be easy foder if we continue the first 50mins the last day.

Best of luck to our lads.
Just checked Meath 0-13 Sligo 1-9 2003
Sligo 1-14 Meath 3-7 2004 was at both games, great game in markievicz in 2004
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Jinxy

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Jinxy on February 13, 2011, 10:08:26 PM
Can ye put the ball over the bar?
Cos we can't.

Whats the bets ye'll start next sunday :-\, hope not but our defence has conceded plenty of scores so far this yr. Goals worry me against ye tbh.. our attacking play will ensure a high scoring me thinks. We are like Blackpool imo..

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

sligoman2

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Jinxy

thejuice

Meath (SF v Sligo):

B Murphy;

G O'Brien, K Reilly, C King;
S Kenny, B Meade, C McGuinness;

M Ward, C Gillespie;

S McAnarney, B Farrell, G Reilly,
D Morgan, J Sheridan, S O'Rourke.

Only Change:

Cian Ward for David Morgan
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

Please tell me that's Mick, Malachy, Morgan or Miley Ward at midfield.

thejuice

I think Mick Burke and David Bray are fit again and expected to get a run so Brian Meade should move to the middle at some stage.

thejuice

No Sligo team named yet it seems.

This is surely a tactical move by Kevin Walsh, not wanting to reveal his full hand. Sligo, always ones for the mind games.

magpie seanie

thejuice

Meath 1-12
Sligo 0-08

Good enough to win but it seems that the second half was played in a snooze.

On to Antrim next which will be a tough game in Casement next Saturday.

Thewhataboutery