Coaching Question

Started by AZOffaly, February 13, 2011, 09:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onion Bag

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 30, 2011, 02:46:56 PM
OB I would use the method used by many different coaches over the year.  Play the ball into them and keep shouting at them "get out in front ye useless wee shite, what sort of footballer are ye, in my day we knew how to get out in front, only pansies who play the garrison game look for the easy ball over the top, quit being a cowardly **** and get out in front". If that doesn't work then there no hope for them!

Cheers for that BC, there was plenty of that last nite, we played a challenge match f**k it was so frustrating to watch
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Onion Bag

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 30, 2011, 03:25:21 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 30, 2011, 02:46:56 PM
OB I would use the method used by many different coaches over the year.  Play the ball into them and keep shouting at them "get out in front ye useless wee shite, what sort of footballer are ye, in my day we knew how to get out in front, only pansies who play the garrison game look for the easy ball over the top, quit being a cowardly **** and get out in front". If that doesn't work then there no hope for them!

If that fails, you could always try the drill that one of the lads here suggested. Line up the full forward line in their positions, and put the flexi place markers (Flat cones) to mark out a square that represents each position. So, for example, the right corner forward's 'square' will be from the corner flag to a spot on the end line about 10 yards from the goalpost. Out to about the 20 metre line, and back over to the sideline. The left corner forwards 'square' will be in the opposite side obviously. The full forwards square will be the middle piece in front of the goals.

Then you play the ball in, and the only rule is that you cannot receive a pass in your square. i.e. you have to move.

to encourage better movement, you can also say that only 1 forward can be in a square at any time, so if a full forward runs into the corner forward's square, the corner forward has to move too. But that is for when they get comfortable.

------

A more simple one I have used is where you line up 5 attackers across the endline, and 5 defenders marking them. Give each attacker a number between 1 and 5. Then you have 'servers' about 45 yards out.

The coach calls a number (or a couple of numbers) e.g. Number 3!. At that point number 3 forward must dash out in front and he is given a pass. (He then tries to beat his man and score).

You can call 1&3, and then give the pass to one of them, and let them try and work an opportunity 2 v2 .

Finally, and this is important for your purposes. Tell your 'servers' to NOT kick the ball in until the forward has made his run. Don't reward them for standing still.

Cheers AZ, Couple of good ideas, i will give them a lash and if they are not wokring, i will revert back to BC's suggestions. "will you get out in front of your man you useless wee ****"
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

brokencrossbar1

I would have told you the same as az;). A small alternative on it prove the value of getting out in front is to work 3 scenarios. The first is the forward has the advantage of 1 yard, the second one the 2 players line up shoulder to shoulder, 3rd one the forward is a yard behind. Whoever loses race for ball does 4 press ups.

Celt_Man

Another condition to place on a game to encourage this would be to not allow a pass to hit the deck (or just allow the ball to hop once) meaning that players must come forward and meet the ball and also that more emphasis is put on the accuracy of the pass.  If the ball hits the deck (or hops more than once) the other team will get possession - the first couple of turnovers will frustrate them no end but about a minute or two into it, they will really be concentrating and determined to get it right
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010