It's in Gods hands after that.

If I could land it in on top of the square from a kickout, I probably would :D

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 08, 2011, 10:11:03 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on March 08, 2011, 10:10:00 AM
Just land it in on top of the square.
It's in Gods hands after that.

If I could land it in on top of the square from a kickout, I probably would :D

I remember watching Tyrone years ago in Cross, the year Canavan made his debut. Big Finbarr was able to kick from the 21 and hit past the far 45 where Plunkett was catching ity at number 11 and feeding Peter in the corner.  He gave Ger Reid and awful time that day.

DuffleKing

Who the buck would put big Reidy on Canavan?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 08, 2011, 10:25:38 AM

Who the buck would put big Reidy on Canavan?

Canavan was only about 18 or 19 at the time and hadn't made a name for himself. 

Croí na hÉireann

If your keeper can't reach midfield then you'll have to work on his short kickout game. Get you full backs to stay tight to the 21 and your half backs to drift out to midfield therefore leaving a large D for runners to run into. Get your midfielders and even half forwards to run into this D first and collect the kickout. You'll be surprised how long it will take the opposition to cotton on to it. Then when they start to clog up this space spread the short ball to the wing. All reliant on an accurate kick from the keeper of course, a good technique and practice is all he needs, no need for power.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Hardy

Is there a defender who can take the kickout?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hardy on March 08, 2011, 02:35:24 PM
Is there a defender who can take the kickout?

I don't like going that way Hardy. That would be last resort for me I think.

Hardy

If the objective is to kick it as far as midfield, though and to pick out your target receiver, I don't see that much of a disadvantage to it. Less dangerous to my mind than the risk of short kickouts going badly wrong, as they often do.

(You can tell your kicker out to stay back after the kick and call him a sweeper!)

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hardy on March 08, 2011, 02:40:52 PM
If the objective is to kick it as far as midfield, though and to pick out your target receiver, I don't see that much of a disadvantage to it. Less dangerous to my mind than the risk of short kickouts going badly wrong, as they often do.

(You can tell your kicker out to stay back after the kick and call him a sweeper!)

The objective is to maximise the chance of us winning possession. They are Under 16s, even our best kicker is not going to reach midfield off the ground consistently. Therefore, I want to avoid scrums 45-50 metres out.

Zulu

A kickout I've used before that has been fairly successful is to keep the FB's close to goal and the half backs to pull out as far as the goalie can kick it thus creating a big space between the two defensive lines. Get the full back to drift to one side as if to look for the kickout, thereby creating a channel down the middle for the keeper kick to. As the keeper is just about to kick it, one of the wing backs sprints in as if running towards the opposite corner back position and a midfielder or half forward breaks into the vacated wing back position. This means that we have a player gone relatively short for the kickout (wing back), a moving player in loads of space for an angled kickout (midfielder/half forward) and players available to contest a high ball down the middle (center back & other midfielder). We also now have a supporter runner (the moving wing back) to break off the ball should we win a ball down the middle and loads of space on one side of the field to deliver quick ball.

I use names or actions (keeper holding the ball in left or right hand as he walks out to kickout spot) to indicate where the ball is to be kicked to. Once the players know where the ball is going to be kicked to they are already moving to support the intended target, or to create space ahead for a forward delivery. Hope that makes sense.

Celt_Man

AZOffaly, as regards getting them used to the idea of moving into space and off the ball...

Just a normal game with a few conditions attached could do the trick...

Don't allow them pass the ball backwards or sideways, only forwards - players should soon figure out about the timing of runs and moving forward into space

Another condition for a similar game could also be used in conjunction with the one above, is only allow a certain time on the ball before a pass (3, 4, 5 seconds etc) - if a player goes over that time, its a overturn to the other team.  They should figure out fairly quickly that they have to support the man on the ball straight away and ideally be thinking a pass or two ahead
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Onion Bag

Need a bit of help Lads and Lassies, I am involved with our club U14's this season which i am really enjoying, it is a great release from work.
The team itself is very small we have no real big guys at all which is a problem for obvious reasons. i have been harping on to them about keeping the ball low for our small guys and support play which they are working on, however i cannot get it throught to them that they have to be in front of their marker in order to get the ball

Is there any drill that we could work on to encourage them to get out in front of their marker?

we have plenty of support play drills, and i will hammer them on keeping the ball low but i need them to be able to make themselves available for the man on the ball
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

brokencrossbar1

OB I would use the method used by many different coaches over the year.  Play the ball into them and keep shouting at them "get out in front ye useless wee shite, what sort of footballer are ye, in my day we knew how to get out in front, only pansies who play the garrison game look for the easy ball over the top, quit being a cowardly **** and get out in front". If that doesn't work then there no hope for them!

AZOffaly

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 30, 2011, 02:46:56 PM
OB I would use the method used by many different coaches over the year.  Play the ball into them and keep shouting at them "get out in front ye useless wee shite, what sort of footballer are ye, in my day we knew how to get out in front, only pansies who play the garrison game look for the easy ball over the top, quit being a cowardly **** and get out in front". If that doesn't work then there no hope for them!

If that fails, you could always try the drill that one of the lads here suggested. Line up the full forward line in their positions, and put the flexi place markers (Flat cones) to mark out a square that represents each position. So, for example, the right corner forward's 'square' will be from the corner flag to a spot on the end line about 10 yards from the goalpost. Out to about the 20 metre line, and back over to the sideline. The left corner forwards 'square' will be in the opposite side obviously. The full forwards square will be the middle piece in front of the goals.

Then you play the ball in, and the only rule is that you cannot receive a pass in your square. i.e. you have to move.

to encourage better movement, you can also say that only 1 forward can be in a square at any time, so if a full forward runs into the corner forward's square, the corner forward has to move too. But that is for when they get comfortable.

------

A more simple one I have used is where you line up 5 attackers across the endline, and 5 defenders marking them. Give each attacker a number between 1 and 5. Then you have 'servers' about 45 yards out.

The coach calls a number (or a couple of numbers) e.g. Number 3!. At that point number 3 forward must dash out in front and he is given a pass. (He then tries to beat his man and score).

You can call 1&3, and then give the pass to one of them, and let them try and work an opportunity 2 v2 .

Finally, and this is important for your purposes. Tell your 'servers' to NOT kick the ball in until the forward has made his run. Don't reward them for standing still.

muppet

MWWSI 2017