Derry v Tyrone - 06/02/11 - Celtic Park

Started by omagh_gael, January 30, 2011, 08:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Mulgrew walked away from the squad, wasn't dropped. IMHO a wasted talent for whatever reason.

Surprised Coney not even on bench. Can only guess he's injured?

Would also have thought Mattie Donn would have deserved a place. Showed very well against us last week.

Derry flying ( don't they always seem to be flying pre championship though) and a very poor Celtic park record makes me nervous about this but it's one we need to win to set the tone and get ourselves back up to D1. Donegal next won't be easy either.

Wonder what stage the 2 bradleys will walk away this year??

nrico2006

Klye Coney is injured.  I reckon that Coney, Ronan McNabb, Niall McKenna, Peter Harte and Mattie Donnelly will definitely become senior stars, with the 2010 winning team pushing through in 2 or 3 years.  The Gervin brothers look potentially very good too. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

imtommygunn

FWIW I think Derry will more than likely win this Sunday however in the grand scheme of things it will have no bearing and Derry will get overexcited and Tyrone will be unphased by it.

Not bothered either way. Brennan will do well for Derry I think but they don't have the players to bother Tyrone come championship.

In a few years if things don't change however...

leaveherinsir

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 04, 2011, 09:43:49 AM
FWIW I think Derry will more than likely win this Sunday however in the grand scheme of things it will have no bearing and Derry will get overexcited and Tyrone will be unphased by it.

Not bothered either way. Brennan will do well for Derry I think but they don't have the players to bother Tyrone come championship.

Thats a fairy accurate synopsis there i think. Crux of the matter would be Tyrone have had better players over the last 10 odd years.
Would'nt necessarily say it will change either, surely Tyrone's conveyor belt of talent will bring some of their AI minors through in the next few years.
I can see why M.Harte sticks with the players who have been successful for Tyrone, no more so than at the minute, the familarilty of these players is surely a help to him at present.
Its a strong Tyrone team on paper for Sunday's game, should make it interesting!

saffron sam2

Quote from: leaveherinsir on February 04, 2011, 09:51:53 AM

Thats a fairy accurate synopsis there i think. Crux of the matter would be Tyrone have had better players over the last 10 odd years. Would'nt necessarily say it will change either, surely Tyrone's conveyor belt of talent will bring some of their AI minors through in the next few years.
I can see why M.Harte sticks with the players who have been successful for Tyrone, no more so than at the minute, the familarilty of these players is surely a help to him at present.
Its a strong Tyrone team on paper for Sunday's game, should make it interesting!

Would disagree. Tyrone have had a better manager over the last 10 odd years. It is only recently that they would have had demonstratively better players.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

nrico2006

Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 04, 2011, 11:08:41 AM

Thats a fairy accurate synopsis there i think. Crux of the matter would be Tyrone have had better players over the last 10 odd years. Would'nt necessarily say it will change either, surely Tyrone's conveyor belt of talent will bring some of their AI minors through in the next few years.

Would disagree. Tyrone have had a better manager over the last 10 odd years. It is only recently that they would have had demonstratively better players.

Tyrone have had a better manager and better players.  I don't think there is any argument to be had regarding the players.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

saffron sam2

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 04, 2011, 11:10:27 AM

Tyrone have had a better manager and better players.  I don't think there is any argument to be had regarding the players.

Always arguments to be had regarding players. The only match between the two in which Tyrone had a real advantage in terms of players was 2009 at Casement. If there was a marked dfference, why then do head to head results not bear this out? Surely a team with better players and a better manager would have won at the first attempt in 2003 (the replay peformance is down to a better manager). Surely a team with better players and a better manager would have managed at least a point in first half in 2006.

As a neutral, I would be happy to pick a select team from the two counties over the last ten years. Could be tight enough in terms of numbers, probably 9/6 Tyrone/Derry.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Over the Bar on February 03, 2011, 10:58:15 PM
I saw Cathal McCarron in the gym the other day and couldn't get over the size of him and built like a the proverbial!
he is a very under rated player imo. the ref had a nightmare with him v Dublin in last seasons championship game which meant he had to be taken off.  A huge plus for Tyrone is his emergence. FB his position to lose.

A lot of the banjo boys are muttering silently (though still sounds like a shout) about Harte and his lack of bringing other players through and being too reliant on the old brigade.
This season will test that. Starting the experienced lads and bringing in a few fresh lads will teach them more than having wholesale changes and fecking up momentum, team, players and morale en masse.
Harte should only have a few new faces on each game. Rotating them too.
He needs some of them to gel with older hands in order for them to be part of the picture come championship time, as some of the old guard prob have too many miles on the clock and are in danger of being done for speed.
Great to bring on but not players that will last a full 70 mins.
Its up front where Tyrone dont have depth right now. thats where they lost it last season.
imo.

I'd say Harte is going all out to beat the jinx. Could very well do it. Depends on Derrys mentality under Brennan.
They have the talent imo but have not had the temperment and have played stupid brain dead football this past decade.
Hope that can change, but its not easy to do so quickly.

tyroneman

I agree we have not yet found any replacement for PtG or SoN as marquee forwards.

I believe Ronan o'Neill has the potential as does Coney but along way to go yet.

Mattie Donnelly could make it heat wit the right development but where is he this weekend? B

Stall the Bailer

There is a good few new faces on the starting line up.
The full back is a new combination.
It is the first starts for Damien McCaul and Peter Harte this year.
The two of them, Stevie, Enda and Aidan Cassidy have played very little football for Tyrone in the last year. I think it is the strongest line up available.

imtommygunn

I wouldn't agree with that synopsis. Games between Tyrone and Derry are always tighter due to local rivalry etc. Derbies aren't always reflective of teams footballing abilities - moreso their "grinding out" abilities.

Over the last ten years Tyrone as a team, and as individuals, have just been considerably better (than everyone except arguably Kerry and not just Derry)

There could be a lot in that statement.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 04, 2011, 11:58:13 AM

There could be a lot in that statement.

Indeed, they have never let him down when needed, and they're needed now.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

nrico2006

Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 04, 2011, 11:26:12 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on February 04, 2011, 11:10:27 AM

Always arguments to be had regarding players. The only match between the two in which Tyrone had a real advantage in terms of players was 2009 at Casement. If there was a marked dfference, why then do head to head results not bear this out? Surely a team with better players and a better manager would have won at the first attempt in 2003 (the replay peformance is down to a better manager). Surely a team with better players and a better manager would have managed at least a point in first half in 2006.

As a neutral, I would be happy to pick a select team from the two counties over the last ten years. Could be tight enough in terms of numbers, probably 9/6 Tyrone/Derry.

If we used your 2003 example regarding the need for a replay, then were Down as good as Tyrone in 2003?  As for 2006, Tyrone were missing the guts of their 1st choice 15 that day, still should have scored but sometimes strange things happen.

J OGorman

Quote from: tyroneman on February 04, 2011, 06:55:19 AM
Mulgrew walked away from the squad, wasn't dropped. IMHO a wasted talent for whatever reason.

Surprised Coney not even on bench. Can only guess he's injured?

Would also have thought Mattie Donn would have deserved a place. Showed very well against us last week.

Derry flying ( don't they always seem to be flying pre championship though) and a very poor Celtic park record makes me nervous about this but it's one we need to win to set the tone and get ourselves back up to D1. Donegal next won't be easy either.

Wonder what stage the 2 bradleys will walk away this year??

meaning..I hope to fcuk the 2 bradleys walk away this year 'cause we've nobody who can handle them

wont be this year anyway under Brennan