NFL Division 4 2011

Started by Rossfan, January 30, 2011, 08:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

We had a middlin first half , an awful second half where a good team would have wiped us out . We seemed to have a 1 point win for the taking but we gave away a silly free which Longford equalised from.
Disappointing performances from some lads with Ward,Carty and Cathal Shine being bright sparks.
On to London where the team selection will be interesting. Will Fergal give the same lads a a chance to redeem themselves and get game time or will he wield the scalpel?
I would hope to see Fintan start on Saturday and Jimmy McKeague to get a decent run.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

Were you impressed with Ward? i thought his reading of the game was poor & the longford FF had the beating of him.

If i know Fergal there will be little change, Though Claffey is expected back & i would like to see C.Shine,O'Neill,Collins & O'Grady start v the exiles

D.Shine is expected back for the Carlow game & we need him.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Gold

Quote from: stevecw on February 07, 2011, 06:52:35 PM
Interesting start to Div 4 with 2 draws and a point between others in the games that mattered.

I was at the Carlow/Wicklow game, and have to say it was probably the best div 4 game I've seen in a long time. High scoring, great atmosphere and was in the balance all the way.

As I said in my earlier post in this thread we are going with a youthful side this year based on our sucessful minor/u21s. 5 of that side started yesterday with another brought on at ht. 2 were out injured along with about 6 other older probable starters. Weakened us badly in defence especially.
But also Wicklow were also missing about 3 or 4 of their 1st choice backs too, so was always going to be a high scoring game.

Even enough 1st half with Carlow going 6-4 up, and then kicking 3 or 4 wides in a row...and Wicklow were far better in taking their chances, and scored 3 pts to lead 7-6 at ht. Dempsey made a good change at ht and took off a half injured mf, moved Thomas Walsh from full forward out to mf where he belongs alongside the once again Motm Brendan Murphy. The sub forward he brought in scored a great goal early in 2nd half, foillowed up 2 mins later by a Thomas Walsh goal. Put Carlow 2-7 - 0-10 ahead after Wicklow had opened 2nd half well with 3 pts. Carlow got another pt, and then Wicklows McGrath got a red after a really late tackle. It seemed like we had it wrapped up 4 pts clear, with extra man...but oh no that's not Carlows way of doing things.
Had a free out in corner back position, and he kicks it out over line. From the sideline Stafford picked out Glynn and he bet defender and buried a goal. Followed up with a pt from kick out and level. 2 pts each were then shared, and with a min to go Wicklow went ahead after another give away by Carlow backs. Their supporters went crazy, the roar of them u'd think it was a Leinster final. Then Carlow had a free in, missed yet again as we had done a lot. But in injury time swung over a great point to level it and ended in a draw.

Some game, one we should have won, and won easily. But being a pt down going into injury time have to be happy enough to get a point in the end.

Saw lots of good things in that Carlow display to think we have our best side in a few years, but need to sort out the crazy mistakes. Fermanagh at home next Sunday, it all comes down to that. Win it we are in a promotion race, lose it its league over already.

We in Antrim know that pain only too well.

I'd love to see you's get a run and go up--your one county thats never had it's day in the sun
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Qwerty28

Not sure if that Longford "Point" in the 2nd half was a good score! Priceless though the 2 gombeens standing with their hand in their pockets, not sure what to do! Be a different story if same thing happened during the summer!

Longford could have had a hatful of goals in the 2nd half, which they started far better and more determined than the first. Poor passing and a lack of luck cost them but overall a draw was prob fair and main thing was not to start off campaign with a loss, esp as tough game away to Fermanagh next up.

One other thing, lack of strength in dept on bench was worrying, lot of U-21s and think Co Board should have made more of an effort to get Kavangh on board, even as sub for last 15 minutes would have been a boost, although I acknowledge he hasnt trained with the team this year. Also good to see the issue raised in media in both Sunday Indo and again on Monday

Rossfan

Byjasus but the standard of umpiring was Div 4 alright. >:( >:(
The ref remembered he was a rhubarb nearing the end and refused to give Ros any late frees no matter what fouls were visited on them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ck

Fermanagh will win Div.4. They may be the worst team in Ulster but they are still good enough to get promoted form that lot.

PadraicHenryPearse

not sure how soon claffey will be back, still having some problems with the knee i've heard. Kenny should be back in about 3 weeks. Surprised Nolan didnt start last week, heard he had a massive game recently when he mark Murphy (donegal) out out of the game. Here Shaq is doing well also.

ross4life

The Roscommon team to face London in Allianz Football League tomorrow at 2:30pm in Ruislip is as follows:

Mark Miley

Seán McDermott
Donal Ward
Stephen Ormsby

Niall Carty
David Keenan
Sean Purcell

Michael Finneran
James Connaughton

Senan OGrady
David OGara
Cathal Cregg

John Rogers
Kevin Higgins
Ger Heneghan
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Two changes Devanney,Garvey out...O'Grady,Connaughton in & higgins moves from midfield to full-forward

mannix

It must be nice to get to visit London and Kilkenny, two right good party towns. Tralee,Dublin nor clones are as nice to visit. Best of luck to the Connaught champions and a speedy return to division three.

Maguire01

Quote from: ck on February 10, 2011, 11:40:48 PM
Fermanagh will win Div.4. They may be the worst team in Ulster but they are still good enough to get promoted form that lot.
It's debatable as to whether they're actually the worst team in Ulster.

FermGael

Fermanagh team for Sunday.

J McGrath;
N Bogue,
B Owens,
M Jones;
P McCusker,
B Mulrone,
P Sherry;
H Brady,
J Sherry;
P McGrath,
N Cassidy,
T McElroy;
T O'Flanagan,
T Corrigan,
P Ward.

Great to see B Owens back.
We must have the smallest full forward line in inter county football.
Alot of new faces which is good to see.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Fermanaghandsam

On paper it looks a weak enough Fermanagh team, we could struggle against Carlow. The forward line is just too small and inexperienced I feel.

ross4life

FT Roscommon 1-14 London 0-7 Decent win onto Carlow next Sunday in Hyde Park

mannix

Good win for Roscommon, have London improved with all the new lads going over?