Galloway to run for West Belfast?

Started by give her dixie, January 21, 2011, 07:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

give her dixie

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12255189

A former Sinn Fein publicity director has suggested left-wing Scottish MP George Galloway would make a suitable successor to MP Gerry Adams in West Belfast.

Danny Morrison, writing in next Monday's edition of the Andersonstown News, says Mr Galloway could take on the "establishment" and raise issues in Parliament such as "collusion" and the Pat Finucane murder.

Mr Morrison suggests Mr Galloway would need to adhere to Sinn Fein's abstentionist policy.

However, he said he could be backed by Sinn Fein as an independent in the republican stronghold.

"In West Belfast, we can think outside the box, and, if so, what about you the people, welcoming into this revolutionary neighbourhood, Mr George Galloway?"

The article begins with the words, "I know it is probably a non-runner but."

Yet Mr Morrison, himself a republican prisoner, goes on to say why the Respect Party member and former MP for Bethnal Green and Bow might be a worthy choice. He describes Mr Galloway as "someone who used his status to tear strips off the establishment".

"He is articulate, personable, loyal and dedicated and one of the greatest supporters of our Palestinian brothers and sisters," he writes.

''Abstentionist problem'
"In 2005, when summoned to the US Senate to be humiliated and explain his stance on the Middle East he turned the anticipated outcome on its head and put American foreign policy in the dock."

In his article, Mr Morrison says that, if Mr Galloway was acceptable to the people of West Belfast, he would probably have to run as an independent because of the "abstentionist problem".

He adds that if republicans could be asked to vote for Alasdair McDonnell, SDLP, who does take his seat, then "I would have no problem in voting for George and with him taking his seat, berating the Brits over Pat Finucane, collusion, the bloodshed they have caused, their war crimes".

Mr Morrison suggests Mr Galloway could be an "incendiary presence" and "a voice for the oppressed of this earth."

He writes: "It would be us 'invading' them, a major reversal of colonialism, a statement of our internationalism."

In his article, Mr Morrison says that Sinn Fein has hundreds of "ex-prisoners and activists" to choose from when considering a candidate to contest a future by-election in West Belfast.

He cites Pat Sheehan, who recently inherited Gerry Adams assembly seat, Mairtin O Muilleoir, managing director of Belfast Media Group, who is seeking a council seat in Belfast, and MLAs Alex Maskey and Jennifer McCann.

A Sinn Fein spokesman said Mr Galloway was not a member of Sinn Fein and would not qualify for party selection
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Ulick

Danny has turned into a bit of a dick really.

Milltown Row2

Where did that come from?? spending too much time in london. Danny lived in my street back during the crazy days. never a dull night. Peelers never left the street! think Maskey will get the nod for West Belfast
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thejuice

Jesus, terrible idea if it were to happen. Couldn't imagine George sticking it out for long. Sinn Fein need someone who wants the leadership and willing to stick it out through thick and thin. And someone who knows the people, the towns and the way life is in the North.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Maguire01

Why would SF give it up? Handy few quid into the party coffers.

I agree with Milltown - it's Maskey's seat. As long as it's Alex we're talking about.

Maguire01

Quote from: Take Your Points on January 21, 2011, 09:26:52 PM
Cat
Who would have thought that someone's biggest regret would be pretending to be a cat?!

Doogie Browser

Danny must be hooked on the wacky baccy after all his trips to Glastonbury!

Milltown Row2

Alex of course. others don't have what it takes to be fair
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Quote from: hardstation on January 21, 2011, 09:50:18 PM
Kelly will be the new face of west Belfast.

I thin he lives near the Felons now.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Doogie Browser

Hurler on the Bitch

funny thing is that Maskey is a north Belfast man, representing south Belfast, but has lived in the west for decades. Kelly is a west Belfast man, representing the north and has risen to junior minister. METHINKS. That Kelly is the man for west. While Maskey is the man to finally take north from Dodds. Tune in next week for more on the Sinn Fein Soap..................................

Hardy

Quote from: give her dixie on January 21, 2011, 07:38:41 PMDanny Morrison, writing in next Monday's edition of the Andersonstown News, says Mr Galloway could take on the "establishment"

Danny seems a little confused. Somebody should remind him that SF, as partners in government in the statelet, are the establishment.

Minder

Quote from: hardstation on January 21, 2011, 10:45:05 PM
Who is going to go to south Belfast or is it being forfeited for good?

Paul Maskey seems to be rising through the ranks.....a cretin.

Listen to his next interview and count the amount of times he says "obviously".
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

All of a Sludden

I don't see how sending Scottish people to Ireland could cause any problems.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.