Doomsday+1

Started by thewobbler, February 25, 2007, 10:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Maybe not doomsday,but, certainly disaster day for the G.A.A. in terms of promoting our own code and values. I honestly doubt that we ever again retain Croker for our own usage. We have allowed Croker to be used recruiting tool for the garrison games which will enjoy a massive fillip, in return for a few patronising statements and a pat on the head from our supposed betters. Yesterday Sean Kelly was almost tugging his forelock. We have bartered and sold for fools goldband risked a valuable heritage handed down by generations.As W.B.Yeats said in a different context on another occasion, but very apt in this situation....You have disgraced yourselves again

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Pangurban on February 25, 2007, 09:23:05 PM
Maybe not doomsday,but, certainly disaster day for the G.A.A. in terms of promoting our own code and values. I honestly doubt that we ever again retain Croker for our own usage. We have allowed Croker to be used recruiting tool for the garrison games which will enjoy a massive fillip, in return for a few patronising statements and a pat on the head from our supposed betters. Yesterday Sean Kelly was almost tugging his forelock. We have bartered and sold for fools goldband risked a valuable heritage handed down by generations.As W.B.Yeats said in a different context on another occasion, but very apt in this situation....You have disgraced yourselves again

I just wish Brennan was reading these posts. In fact the whole central council could do with reading this board as it gives a decent overview of the countries opinion.
By the way Brennan imo you are a liability...  >:(
Tbc....

bottlethrower7

agreed, we have shot ourselves in the foot big time. I didn't watch the game, yet still couldn't escape the hype. What we have is a ridiculously one-sided rugby match being held up as one of the most significant sporting occasions in the history of the nation. This was one of my misgivings about the temporary lifting of rule 42, and my greatest fears were exceeded. We provided the shop window. The media did the rest. I can't help thinking of Limerick city, a city where the balance of power in hurling terms has switched dramatically from the city clubs to the traditional country clubs. Hurling is dying in Limerick city, and a hammer blow, such as will be recieved in the aftermath of sunday's pantomime, could be done without.

Sean Kelly really and truly does have a lot to answer for, and I think myself, Magpie Seanie, and others who opposed the lifting (temporary) of rule 42, are now entitled to feel vindicated for our views.

Saturday was a dark, dark day for the GAA.

stephenite

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on February 25, 2007, 09:36:50 PM
I think myself, Magpie Seanie, and others who opposed the lifting (temporary) of rule 42, are now entitled to feel vindicated for our views.

Saturday was a dark, dark day for the GAA.

Disagree, strongly.
Rugby in 5 years will be in the doldrums I feel, and playing back in Lansdowne. These things go in cycles and I'd nearly guarantee that somewhere in the cycle Limerick hurling will be stronger in the urban areas again.
Limerick hurling is a much a victim of it's inepitude, given the charade that has gone on down there with dual players, player walk outs and what seemed to be a consistent managerial merry go round, the fault for most of this lies at the door of the County board and any attempt to try and lay the blame at the door of Sean Kelly is masking the real reasons why Limerick hurling is struggling in urban areas - and than you feel vidicated about it???  ???

thewobbler

Well said Stephenite. It's rather sad that someone who obviously loves the game of hurling so much cannot see any of its failings, so blinded is he by a hatred of other sports.

bottlethrower7

no way Stephenite, thats not right at all. The slide in the city had happened (or was well on the way) well before all that crap with the county went on. It had gotten to a stage where there was a single senior hurling club left in the city (Patrickswell) whereas once there had been as many as 5. When Tom Ryan was over the county hurling team this was the situation. The end of Tom Ryan's tenure was the begining of the madness down there (sacked despite winning the NHL). It is a well known fact that hurling has been leaking kids to rugby down there in a big way. Whatever hope hurling had of a revival in Limerick city has been well and truly dented after saturday.

Vindicated, yeah, not that I was looking for vindication, but now I feel well and truly vindicated.

And as for cycles, I for one wouldn't be happy for the damage that could be done during however many years rugby will be on its current high. The GAA need to fight its corner, and one way of doing that is not to assist rugby, or any other competing code, any further.

deiseach

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on February 25, 2007, 10:14:29 PM
And as for cycles, I for one wouldn't be happy for the damage that could be done during however many years rugby will be on its current high. The GAA need to fight its corner, and one way of doing that is not to assist rugby, or any other competing code, any further.

You'd swear they were getting it for free

dublinfella

Quote from: Pangurban on February 25, 2007, 09:23:05 PM
I honestly doubt that we ever again retain Croker for our own usage.

why? the current deal has a time limit. planning permission has been applied for LR and has been held up by objections. why would the Rugby/Soccer hand over €1.5m a game over the long term? Why would they choose to go stadiumless? Delaney is under enough pressure from his own for this deal, he would never swing another botched attempt at a stadium to instead hand the 'enemy' pots of cash for ever. And the thought of the Rugby brigade giving up 100 years of tradition, ludicrious stuff

The implication in all this is that there is a huge plot involving the IRFU, FAI, Government and probably the freemasons to deliberatly fail to get planning permission and move into CP permanently pulling the wool over the GAA's eyes. a move which suits no-one. As conspiracy theories go, its bonkers. why would the GAA allow it to start?

stephenite

For once I'm in agreement with Dublinfella

dublinfella

Quote from: stephenite on February 26, 2007, 12:57:34 AM
For once I'm in agreement with Dublinfella

:o

why thank you my new mayo friend!m ;D

stephenite

Enjoy it, can't imagine it will last ;)

dublinfella

Pangurban

Dont be so bloody naive lads. Sure you could write the script...prolonged delay in gaining planning permission, subtle media campaign suggesting the Country is too small for two major world class stadiums, sure isnt it great we are all together in one grand National Stadium, of course Rents would have to be renegotiated or perhaps a government buy out, now that would solve a lot of problems,level the playing field etc. Why would the I.R.F.U. or F.A.I. support this. The answer in the financial columns, they are both broke, penniless,without visible means of supportand verging on bankruptcy. They cant afford a model stadium, yet alone a real one.,despite all their bravado and posturing. Which brings us too the next phase of the argument. Should the hard  pressed Irish taxpayer be called upon to fund another stadium when there is an excellent facility in Croker which with a little good will etc   Berties no mug and it would be right into the mindset of any coalition likely to replace him. As for the parasites that run the shambolic organisations over-seeing Rugby and Soccer, well all they have ever done is take, they will have no problem . More money for plush offices,big salarys and foriegn junkets.

dublinfella

Quote from: Pangurban on February 26, 2007, 01:36:05 AM
Dont be so bloody naive lads. Sure you could write the script...prolonged delay in gaining planning permission, subtle media campaign suggesting the Country is too small for two major world class stadiums, sure isnt it great we are all together in one grand National Stadium, of course Rents would have to be renegotiated or perhaps a government buy out, now that would solve a lot of problems,level the playing field etc. Why would the I.R.F.U. or F.A.I. support this. The answer in the financial columns, they are both broke, penniless,without visible means of supportand verging on bankruptcy. They cant afford a model stadium, yet alone a real one.,despite all their bravado and posturing. Which brings us too the next phase of the argument. Should the hard  pressed Irish taxpayer be called upon to fund another stadium when there is an excellent facility in Croker which with a little good will etc   Berties no mug and it would be right into the mindset of any coalition likely to replace him. As for the parasites that run the shambolic organisations over-seeing Rugby and Soccer, well all they have ever done is take, they will have no problem . More money for plush offices,big salarys and foriegn junkets.

the IRFU are hardly 'shambolic' and most certainly not broke. 'parasites'? and they clearly have means of income, there were 82,000 there yesterday ffs. merchandising? tv money?

the FAI believe it or not have a very healthy balance sheet. they sky deal was very juicy. they should have put their surpluses into EL grounds, but they have been saving away for years.

the only delay on this project is planning permission.

to say that the FAI and IRFU are 'broke, penniless' is factually inaccurate and quite frankly says more about your bias than reality. this is all in your head and if you were to spell out your dystopian version to any rugby man you would get a thump for suggesting they would be that dishonest.

and how would it be cheaper for the govt to buy croker compared to what they are putting into LR?  ???

if you think the head of the IRFU would want to approach his rank and file to tell them they were selling LR to go to CP as tenents or the head of the fai to the soccer crowd saying they had bungled another stadium plan you have zero grasp on the culture of our rival sports.

pangur, have you heard this from somewhere or did it come to you in a dream?

gazelle

Quote from: SammyG on February 25, 2007, 12:54:04 PM

I'm also well aware that it is the anthem of the Republic of Ireland and is therefore not suitable to represent an all-island team.

a rather good point