Michaela - The Aftermath (Please exercise discretion)

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, January 12, 2011, 03:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should this thread be

7 (9.2%)
Deleted
23 (30.3%)
Left as is
46 (60.5%)

Total Members Voted: 76

armaghniac

QuoteWhat was Eamon saying on it?

it was just a bit of background from one of John's friends. He said that as John's friend that he had known Michaela for years and that she had been increasingly involved in Tullylish. He said that the Tullylish community would rally around the McAreaveys and help as best they could.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

NAG1

Quote from: razor on January 13, 2011, 11:37:54 AM
I think it is an absolute disgrace that UTV are worried about how this would affect the Tourism Industry in Mauritius.
Who gives a flying f**k.
Also them having the cheek to ask Adrian Logan to do an interview just after they got rid of him.
UTV hang your heads in shame.

Hadnt intedned on posting on this thread but cant let this go.
Logan was asked by the family to do the interview so that after it they could be left in peace. He is known to the family and hence this interview was published across the media and not just on UTV.
Please get you facts straight before posting rubbish on such a sensitive thread.

seafoid

I see the Mauritius police have the same standards of evidence gathering as the police in India. 

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0113/breaking5.html

Barrister S Ravi Rutnah asked the magistrate if his client, Avinash Treebhoowoon, could address the court in relation to an alleged assault he had suffered at the hands of the police while he was in custody. According to Mr Treebhoowoon, he was brought to the office of the major crime investigation team where he was hit around the ears before being beaten with a hose on his feet. "They undressed me and lay me on a table and with a water hose they beat me on the bottom of my feet. They then put a towel over my head and beat, choked and kicked me," he claimed. The barrister called on the court to immediately take his client for a medical examination to ascertain if there were signs of any injuries. "An atrocious crime has been committed and our country is now being watched by the international community. Our name has been tarnished and if the police start acting like this what will be left of our country," he said to the court.  The magistrate agreed that Mr Treebhoowoon should be sent for a medical examination and she called for an investigation into the allegations. Speaking outside the court, Mr Treebhoowoon's new wife Reshma, who had spoken to her husband, said: "He insisted he was innocent and that he has not committed this awful crime," she said.

The Iceman

We don't know the ins and outs of this and may never know.
I understand thieving on a small scale goes on in some hotels, especially in major tourist hubs. Usually a small amount of money here, an item of clothing there, a pair of sunglasses etc, nothing major but accumulating over time a significant "bonus" to the perpetrators. What I dont understand is how this became murder.
Surely if the staff member was disturbed he could pretend to have "business" in the room? Report of noise, a leak, we tried to contact you but we needed to get in. Someone like this could surely think on their feet and go on? It's crazy.  As an outsider looking in I am interested to know what happened, I'm sure the family are wrecking their heads over it.

God bless everyone involved here and I hope and pray they find some comfort from each other over the weeks and months ahead. RIP.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: The Iceman on January 13, 2011, 03:19:47 PM
I understand thieving on a small scale goes on in some hotels, especially in major tourist hubs. Usually a small amount of money here, an item of clothing there, a pair of sunglasses etc, nothing major but accumulating over time a significant "bonus" to the perpetrators. What I dont understand is how this became murder.
Surely if the staff member was disturbed he could pretend to have "business" in the room? Report of noise, a leak, we tried to contact you but we needed to get in. Someone like this could surely think on their feet and go on? It's crazy.  As an outsider looking in I am interested to know what happened, I'm sure the family are wrecking their heads over it.

You would imagine that they would have had a reasonably credible story ready in the event that they were caught inside a resident's room.

Tragically in this case it looks like they panicked.

the colonel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12180402

Police say accused confessed to Michaela Harte killing
Sandip Moneea, 41, Raj Theekoy, 33, and Avinash Treebhoowoon, 29, have been charged over the killing Continue reading the main story
Related stories
Michaela suspect speaks to police
Michaela was my rock says husband
Men charged over honeymoon murder
Police in Mauritius have said that one of the three men charged in connection with the murder of Michaela McAreavey has confessed to the killing.

Mrs McAreavey, 27, daughter of Tyrone Gaelic football boss Mickey Harte, was found murdered in her honeymoon hotel room on the island on Monday.

Avinash Treebhoowoon, 29, appeared in court on Wednesday, along with two others.

Police told the BBC on Thursday he had confessed to the killing.

It followed the revelation that a lawyer for Raj Theekoy, who is charged with conspiracy to murder, said his client had spoken to police and implicated the other two men.

Sandip Moneea, 41, and Mr Treebhoowoon appeared in court on Wednesday accused of her murder.

All three were remanded in police custody for a week and will return to court next Wednesday, when they are expected either to be formally charged or released.

BBC Northern Ireland reporter, Mervyn Jess, who is in Mauritius, outlined the latest development on Thursday.

"This morning, the police say one of the men who is charged with the murder, Avinash Treebhoowoon, has come out and confessed, the police say, to the killing," he said.

Continue reading the main story
Mervyn Jess: BBC NI Reporter
This morning, the coffin containing the remains of Michaela McAreavey was driven away from the mortuary at Victoria Hospital, which is in a suburb of Port Louis, the capital of Mauritius.

There was no ceremony, there was nothing in the way of motorcycle outriders.

The coffin was taken then to the airport on the island and will remain there until a flight tonight, which will fly the body back to the UK.

Members of the family will accompany the body home.
"Police officers we have spoken to today say they are very pleased with the way this investigation is going and they think they are close to wrapping up this initial stage of the investigation.

"It will then move on to the preparing of evidence and the preparing of documents to go to the Director of Public Prosecutions on the island before any court case is heard."

He added that anyone convicted of murder in the "higher court" in Mauritius could face up to 47 years in prison, but that in the "lower court" a conviction of manslaughter carried a total sentence of up to 18 years in jail.

The body of Mrs McAreavey is expected to arrive in Northern Ireland from Mauritius on Friday.

It is understood her family hope to hold her funeral next Monday - in the same County Tyrone church where she married on 30 December.

'She is my life'

On Wednesday evening, a police chief in Mauritius told the Press Association that skin tissue found under the fingernails of Mrs McAreavey could prove crucial to the police case against the three men charged over her killing.

Mrs McAreavey's husband, John, has described her as "his rock".

Michaela Harte married John McAreavey on 30 December He said their hopes, dreams and future were gone and he had been left heartbroken and totally devastated.

"I love my wife, very, very much and my world revolved around her.

"I can't describe in words how lost I feel as Michaela is not just the light of my life - she is my life," Mr McAreavey said.

The funeral mass is expected to take place at St Malachy's in Ballymacilroy near the Harte family home in County Tyrone.
the difference between success and failure is energy

Bud Wiser

QuoteSurely if the staff member was disturbed he could pretend to have "business" in the room? Report of noise, a leak, we tried to contact you but we needed to get in. Someone like this could surely think on their feet and go on? It's crazy.  As an outsider looking in I am interested to know what happened, I'm sure the family are wrecking their heads over it.

You would imagine that they would have had a reasonably credible story ready in the event that they were caught inside a resident's room.

I wouldn't buy into that theory, they were animals and they acted like animals. Last May twelve month myselff and my family and friends attended a wedding in Spain and reneted a Villa and we went out for the night just down the road.  A discussion arose why I didn't bring my camera for the night that was in it and a suggestion that one of the younger ones would go back and get it was not agreed.  When we returned their were robbers inside the Villa but they ran out the back as we came in the front and the place was ransacked.  They left behind them a long bladed knife and a poker from a fireplace on one of the beds.  Not the kind of implements you would use to explain you were fixing a leak.  They didn't have to kill poor Michaela but they choose to.  I hope they rot in jail and that every day is a day in hell for them. There should be a second court case and that should be against the company that own the hotel who should nbe sued  for millions for allowing the staff to have the duplicate card swipe . 
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Massey-135

Quote from: The Iceman on January 13, 2011, 03:19:47 PM

God bless everyone involved here and I hope and pray they find some comfort from each other over the weeks and months ahead. RIP.

A friend of mine was on her honeymoon in Mauritius in autumn time and had £220 stolen from the room. I'm sure it does happen all the time. As you said, madness that they had to kill her

The Worker

In relation to the use of card keys by staff members; i was recently staying in a hotel room in derry and was locked out of room. There was a cleaner on the corridor and i asked could she open my door. she then produced a master key which worked. God knows how many other staff could have gained access to my room when i wasnt there.

what im thinking is how do hotels control who has access to each room? should there be more stringent access to master keys, i.e. only one copy to be held by the duty mananger in each hotel?

The Iceman

Quote from: Bud Wiser on January 13, 2011, 04:39:55 PM
QuoteSurely if the staff member was disturbed he could pretend to have "business" in the room? Report of noise, a leak, we tried to contact you but we needed to get in. Someone like this could surely think on their feet and go on? It's crazy.  As an outsider looking in I am interested to know what happened, I'm sure the family are wrecking their heads over it.

I wouldn't buy into that theory, they were animals and they acted like animals. Last May twelve month myselff and my family and friends attended a wedding in Spain and reneted a Villa and we went out for the night just down the road.  A discussion arose why I didn't bring my camera for the night that was in it and a suggestion that one of the younger ones would go back and get it was not agreed.  When we returned their were robbers inside the Villa but they ran out the back as we came in the front and the place was ransacked.  They left behind them a long bladed knife and a poker from a fireplace on one of the beds.  Not the kind of implements you would use to explain you were fixing a leak.  They didn't have to kill poor Michaela but they choose to.  I hope they rot in jail and that every day is a day in hell for them. There should be a second court case and that should be against the company that own the hotel who should nbe sued  for millions for allowing the staff to have the duplicate card swipe .

Bud I think your example is a little different. These were not thieves preying on Villas. These were hotel staff preying on guests.
I don't think the motive was theft.

With regard to hotel key cards I think there may be policies but in the service industry a lot of these are overlooked for efficiency purposes. Cleaners have access to rooms, night porters, managers, maintenance.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Milltown Row2

Most staff will have access to rooms in a hotel. The master key will have its own code and the managers would know who has entered the room when it has been swiped.

Staff in all jobs will come across the opportunity of handling money, 99.9% of people will not even think about it. Staff (cleaner or manager) in hotels are trusted to carry out their duties and do it well, we shouldn't really think they will all steal from your room
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ross4life

Speaking of the subject card keys i had An experience I will never forget!

in a Dublin Airport hotel a few years ago! around 6am a young drunk man entered our room shouting at the top of his voice. He managed to enter our room by using different keycard to ours which somehow opened our "locked door". He then proceeded to jump on my bed until i told him to leave (in a nice way, lol). We then rang the front desk and security later picked him up wandering the halls, claiming our room was actually his.

I complained to the manager the next morning & got a shallow apology he even joked "Shame the drunk wasn't a girl"
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

DennistheMenace

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12185741

Never heard of having a reconstruction a few days after the crime.

ludermor

Quote from: The Worker on January 13, 2011, 06:00:59 PM
In relation to the use of card keys by staff members; i was recently staying in a hotel room in derry and was locked out of room. There was a cleaner on the corridor and i asked could she open my door. she then produced a master key which worked. God knows how many other staff could have gained access to my room when i wasnt there.

what im thinking is how do hotels control who has access to each room? should there be more stringent access to master keys, i.e. only one copy to be held by the duty mananger in each hotel?
So you either expect the duty manager to go with every cleaner and open the doors ? Maybe a crew of cleanign fairys would do the job?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: DennistheMenace on January 13, 2011, 08:55:23 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12185741

Never heard of having a reconstruction a few days after the crime.

Did they not do it in Australia after a lone gun man shot dead 7/8 people and they made him do a reconstruction of how he killed the people?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea