Dentists in Belfast

Started by DirtyDozen12, January 05, 2011, 12:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyDozen12

Have not been to the dentist since I was about 18, eight years ago so I think it would be best if I got a check up!  Dont like dentists because the last time i went my teeth where fine but after the dentist 'worked' on them, i was in pain for a week and had to go back.

Anyway, anyone know or recommend any good dentist's in the Belfast area that doesnt charge an arm and a leg?  Will need a check up & clean and then probably work done after that.   

Also, what is the craic with NHS dentist's?  Is there any of these around Belfast and can anyone use them?  I believe they are half the price of a private dentist?

One thing that annoys me about dentist's when im on the subject is that they always make you out to be a complete idiot when it comes to brushing your teeth no matter what your age is  >:(
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

ziggysego

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on January 05, 2011, 12:48:02 PM
Have not been to the dentist since I was about 18, eight years ago so I think it would be best if I got a check up!  Dont like dentists because the last time i went my teeth where fine but after the dentist 'worked' on them, i was in pain for a week and had to go back.

Anyway, anyone know or recommend any good dentist's in the Belfast area that doesnt charge an arm and a leg?  Will need a check up & clean and then probably work done after that.   

Also, what is the craic with NHS dentist's?  Is there any of these around Belfast and can anyone use them?  I believe they are half the price of a private dentist?

One thing that annoys me about dentist's when im on the subject is that they always make you out to be a complete idiot when it comes to brushing your teeth no matter what your age is  >:(

Do you not brush your teeth regularly?
Testing Accessibility

take_yer_points

Cavehill Dental Practice is an NHS place. Worked out about £15 for the checkup itself and think it was about £15 for a filling as well. I tried one or two other places before joining this one about 8 months ago and they were the only ones who were able to see me at short notice (some others weren't even taking on new patients).

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: take_yer_points on January 05, 2011, 12:54:38 PM
Cavehill Dental Practice is an NHS place. Worked out about £15 for the checkup itself and think it was about £15 for a filling as well. I tried one or two other places before joining this one about 8 months ago and they were the only ones who were able to see me at short notice (some others weren't even taking on new patients).

Nice one, ill drop them an e-mail maybe and enquire about the NHS services and other services they have

Quote from: ziggysego on January 05, 2011, 12:50:59 PM
Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on January 05, 2011, 12:48:02 PM

Do you not brush your teeth regularly?

With an electric toothbrush every morning and night hence no need to be a dentist for eight years  ;D  have a broken tooth at the back though, thats what ye get for eating brandy balls. 

Orior

Is that the one at the junction with the Westland? Customers always park on the Cavehill Road and block the traffic lights. Also, that practice dont treat their staff very well and pay them peanuts. I'm surprised that they charged you so little.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

take_yer_points

Quote from: Orior on January 05, 2011, 01:16:22 PM

Is that the one at the junction with the Westland? Customers always park on the Cavehill Road and block the traffic lights. Also, that practice dont treat their staff very well and pay them peanuts. I'm surprised that they charged you so little.

Yeah, the one beside the westland road. Dunno about the staff but I was more than happy with them

Rois

That would be me - though I go on round the corner and park there. 
Have you been there recently?  I didn't realise it was NHS - that's where I got a good bit of cosmetic work done back in August.  Wouldn't have said it was too cheap then but that was prob due to what I was getting done - £2.5k or so paid out from me to them.  I was due back in for a filling (which I haven't gotten yet) but which was due to be £60-odd.  Still, I was happy enough too. 

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: Rois on January 05, 2011, 02:20:40 PM

Have you been there recently?  I didn't realise it was NHS - that's where I got a good bit of cosmetic work done back in August.  Wouldn't have said it was too cheap then but that was prob due to what I was getting done - £2.5k or so paid out from me to them.  I was due back in for a filling (which I haven't gotten yet) but which was due to be £60-odd.  Still, I was happy enough too.

Just got the below email back from Cavehill Dental practice when I enquired about their services:

"Hello DirtyDozen you sexy beast,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding dental treatment, we would be delighted to look after your dental needs.

A check up and clean with our hygienist would be approx £70.

We do offer NHS dental treatment although some treatments are not available.

Maybe you would like to give me a call to arrange an initial examination/registration appointment or to discuss things further."

Its only after a check up that all the expensive stuff will need done  :(

Rios, what cosmetic work did you get done that cost 2 1/2 G??

Rois

Must ask about the NHS treatments then - but I have dental insurance anyway so not too imp.

I got two veneers and two crowns (basically four new front teeth) and did some whitening.  Completely cosmetic.

DirtyDozen12

They sent back another email when I questioned about the NHS prices as below:

"An initial NHS check up for a new patient costs £9.64 a basic scale is £10.16 (this is very basic and only removes tartar build up and does not polish up teeth).

We offer basic fillings, extractions and crowns on the NHS."

WeeDonns

DirtyDozen, I'm in the same situation as yourself, so keep us posted on where you end up going etc.

Do you have to qualify somehow for the NHS treatment (like be on income support etc) or can anyone get it? (I have no idea about this kind of stuff)

Rois, what does your dental insurance cover? is it just the likes of the £70 clean up & the filling? I assume it cant be used to cover the cosmetic work you got done. Do you pay for that in instalments as you get the work done?

take_yer_points

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on January 05, 2011, 02:25:28 PM
Quote from: Rois on January 05, 2011, 02:20:40 PM

Just got the below email back from Cavehill Dental practice when I enquired about their services:

"Hello DirtyDozen you sexy beast,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding dental treatment, we would be delighted to look after your dental needs.

A check up and clean with our hygienist would be approx £70.

We do offer NHS dental treatment although some treatments are not available.

Maybe you would like to give me a call to arrange an initial examination/registration appointment or to discuss things further."

Its only after a check up that all the expensive stuff will need done  :(

Rios, what cosmetic work did you get done that cost 2 1/2 G??

That sounds about the same as what i paid months ago - went in for the check up and was charged £15. had to go back for a filling which was £15 and booked a half hour with the hygienist which was £60 i think.

Puckoon

Dirty Dozen - If you havnt been in 8 years, you may well need a deep clean to remove the build up. I didnt have dental insurance for 2 years and I needed a serious clean when I went back to the Dentist. No amount of brushing can make up for flossing and regular cleanings. The onset of gum disease after such a length of time could be bad - you want to make sure you get it sorted!

pintsofguinness

That 70 quid for a check up seems an awful lot! - that can't be the NHS price.

I've been thinking about dental insurance, how much do you pay for it rois?
Is there any special terms or conditions etc

I didnt mind the dentist too much until the last time I went. I'd to get a filling and the injection to numb the gum had no effect, she give me several before it went numb and on one occasion she went to drill when it wasn't numb and I felt it!!!!!!!!!! aaaaaaah!
I'm on a waiting list for a root canal too - must be waiting about two years now - I refuse to pay the £200 quid to have it done privately.  I'll only do that if I'm in pain.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

imtommygunn

I have just paid 30 (prepaid as I haven't been yet) for the dental hygienist. The 70 people are quoting seems a bit much.

NHS dentist.