Unemployed & Benefits

Started by illdecide, January 04, 2011, 12:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 04, 2011, 03:18:04 PM
Quote from: Banana Man on January 04, 2011, 03:09:40 PM
sad news lads, try and keep the chin up

it's sickening though to think you have worked all your life, paid your stamps then get less than some single tart who dropped the wegs on the first time of asking and got filled, that's the problem with the country, honesty gets you f**k all  :'(

Well said, I know a load of women who have two kids with different men and who are now single parents.  One in particular gets the rent paid for, gets a hefty amount via Child Tax credits, gets the dole and got knows what else (Maintenance) and has the best of stuff, and was just back last from her second 2 week foreign holiday since August.  I have seen a lot of cases lately where a married couple with 4 kids receive around £22k a year on benefits, and the Husband (or Wife) refuses to work because what they will earn based on their qualifications willl amount to basically the same that they get on benefits - that is the major problem in the Country now, the benefits were intended for those who could not get work, they should not be an option for those who earn a small wage to pack in their jobs and get the same money for doing nothing.  But how do the government combat this situation and differentiate between the spongers and those who actually are out there trying to find work?
It would be simple enough I would think - the amount of unemployment benefit you would get would be in proportion to the years you have worked/paid taxes.

Quote from: All of a Sludden on January 04, 2011, 04:14:55 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 04, 2011, 03:54:42 PM
There are people working in the north would love to bring home 200 a week so dry your eyes.

You can`t be serious, no one would work for £40 a day. The lowest wage I know of is €500 per week, otherwise the dole would be a better option.
500 per week is 26 grand a year? I know things are ridiculous in the 26 but f**k sake.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tony Baloney

There are people working in the north would love to bring home 200 a week so dry your eyes.

You can`t be serious, no one would work for £40 a day. The lowest wage I know of is €500 per week, otherwise the dole would be a better option.
It's no wonder the southern economy is a global laughing stock as youse all seem to be living in a f**king fantasy world. I believe the adult minimum wage in the UK is a few pence shy of £6 per hour before tax. The dole is a better option in the south as it's a soft option. The same is not the case in the north as can be seen in posts from illdecide and hereiam. Unfortunately for them your fantasy world isn't a reality.

All of a Sludden

Thats the going rate pints. When you have 200 per week dole, plus other benefits like rent/mortgage allowance, winter fuel allowance, family allowance which is a fair whack and what ever other benefits there are you`ll understand why wages are so high.
There is no way that anyone in the north is working for as little as £200 a week.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: All of a Sludden on January 04, 2011, 04:27:13 PM
Thats the going rate pints. When you have 200 per week dole, plus other benefits like rent/mortgage allowance, winter fuel allowance, family allowance which is a fair whack and what ever other benefits there are you`ll understand why wages are so high.
There is no way that anyone in the north is working for as little as £200 a week.
Well the next time you are across the border in Newry ask them in McDonalds and Sainsburys if their take home pay is closer to 500 or 200 quid for a 40 hour week.

bailestil

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 04, 2011, 04:19:48 PM
It would be simple enough I would think - the amount of unemployment benefit you would get would be in proportion to the years you have worked/paid taxes.

Maybe if the government didn't take so much in NI contributions, people in employment could afford to take out some income protection insurance.

Its not fair that people who pay into national insurance for years get the same payout as people who work if the notion takes them.

26k wages - jaysus, it must be tough surviving on that! how do people scrape by

QuoteThere is no way that anyone in the north is working for as little as £200 a week.
why is it so hard to believe? There is many a person in Derry working in call centres earning that, and glad of the work.

Square Ball

Firstly, sorry to hear the bad news.

with working tax credits I think you need one of you need to be working 17.5 hours a week, check the web site about it, there is a calculator here http://taxcredits.hmrc.gov.uk/Qualify/DIQHousehold.aspx t**ker around with that
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Ulick

"Average income for the Mainland is £22,000 or something."

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Ulick on January 04, 2011, 04:37:23 PM
Which mainland is he talking about? France or something?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 04, 2011, 04:25:16 PM

It's no wonder the southern economy is a global laughing stock as youse all seem to be living in a f**king fantasy world. I believe the adult minimum wage in the UK is a few pence shy of £6 per hour before tax. The dole is a better option in the south as it's a soft option. The same is not the case in the north as can be seen in posts from illdecide and hereiam. Unfortunately for them your fantasy world isn't a reality.
Spot on - though it's not just those living in the south that's in a fantasy world - I think it was in the discussion on the child benefit there were boys here who didn't know how anyone lived on less than 25k-30k (if memory serves me right)

So how much would those working behind shop/pub counters etc in the south be earning?

All of a Sludden

Even as part of the UK, Nordies get a bad deal.  :D

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 04, 2011, 04:38:54 PM

I`ve often heard the rest of the Uk refered to "the mainland" in the north. I find it very odd.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 04, 2011, 04:39:36 PM
So how much would those working behind shop/pub counters etc in the south be earning?

€500

johnneycool

Quote from: All of a Sludden on January 04, 2011, 04:41:16 PM

Even as part of the UK, Nordies get a bad deal.  :D

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 04, 2011, 04:38:54 PM

I`ve often heard the rest of the Uk refered to "the mainland" in the north. I find it very odd.

The average or mean salary is always very skewed due to very high salaries at the top end for the top 5% or so.

I bet the median salary is a lot less than £22K and couple that with the fact that on average(mean) workers in the North earn approximately 10% less than workers in Great Britain doing comparable jobs even though we pay more for electricity, fuel and food.

illdecide

Sludden i don't know what planet you're on but £200 a week is a very realastic wage to many here in the north more so the less skilled jobs but still very much a common wage. I know tradesmen working for £250-£280 a week and it's all they can get. I don't know what you guys get paid down there but it's obviously a lot lot more than up here
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

All of a Sludden

I find it very hard to believe that any man will get put of bed for as little as £40 a day. I`m not belittling anyone, but I was getting double that labouring in London in the early 1990s and I wasnt the worlds hardest worker.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: All of a Sludden on January 04, 2011, 05:02:15 PM
I find it very hard to believe that any man will get put of bed for as little as £40 a day. I`m not belittling anyone, but I was getting double that labouring in London in the early 1990s and I wasnt the worlds hardest worker.
If your alternative was £60 a week you would!