US soldiers take hurling into 30 million homes

Started by Ash Smoker, January 03, 2011, 12:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 05, 2011, 06:57:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 05, 2011, 12:52:15 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 04, 2011, 06:12:03 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 04, 2011, 10:55:38 AM
Any support is good support but these people are odious. They may be taking hurling to US homes but in
Iraq it is  white phosphorous and depleted uranium. They should never have been allowed anywhere near Shannon.

"These people" are under orders. If you have a problem with the politics of the Iraq war, take it up with the management who started it.

Just following orders didn't work at Nürnberg.
Godwin's Law. You lose.

Since when did making Godwin's observation appear correct mean that someone has lost an argument?

Eamonnca1

The Godwin crowd always think they are correct. If you can come up with some proof that these particular National Guard lads were overseeing the deliberate industrial extermination of civilians, maybe then I'll cut you some slack.

(The slaughter of civilians that Seafoid quoted was carried out by Saddam Hussein, the USA's opponent in this war.)

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 05, 2011, 09:20:42 PM
The Godwin crowd always think they are correct. If you can come up with some proof that these particular National Guard lads were overseeing the deliberate industrial extermination of civilians, maybe then I'll cut you some slack.

Who are the Godwin crowd? How do you know they always think they are correct?

Eamonnca1

Well they're hardly going to post the old "Nazi" jibe if they don't really mean it now, are they?

ogshead

Quote from: cicfada on January 05, 2011, 11:09:50 AM
I find it fascinating that US soldiers are playing hurling to be honest! the potential here is huge. I did not support  the war in iraq as I felt that  Bush was deliberately moving the attention away from the hunt for Bin Laden! It's the political masters that give the orders  to these soldiers that are to blame for the war in Iraq and never forget that! That being said I am really excited about the prospect of hurling being taken up by anyone outside of the Irish population/diaspora. When I lived in the US, I used to go to a pub on Sunday   mornings to watch the matches live. Americans were always fascinated by the game of hurling and I always felt that the game would have huge potential over there! There are colleges in California  where students are playing  hurling  and the more people that play it the better, it makes the northern half of this country look pretty pathetic in comparison doesn't it?

That is a shit comment from a hurling snob obviously. There are a lot of people in the north who live for hurling and you show them no respect with that statement. Using an example, I know Armagh are not going to be competing for the Liam Mc Carthy any time soon but them boys put a lot of effort in and have raised the profile in the county which I think is better than a few yanks trying their hand at it.

Zapatista

Quote from: johnneycool on January 05, 2011, 10:26:07 AM
Best of buddies when it suited

No pun intended?

Is that photo real? Sadam looks like a wax work. It must have been taken at a student party.

cicfada

Quote from: ogshead on January 05, 2011, 09:40:58 PM
Quote from: cicfada on January 05, 2011, 11:09:50 AM
I find it fascinating that US soldiers are playing hurling to be honest! the potential here is huge. I did not support  the war in iraq as I felt that  Bush was deliberately moving the attention away from the hunt for Bin Laden! It's the political masters that give the orders  to these soldiers that are to blame for the war in Iraq and never forget that! That being said I am really excited about the prospect of hurling being taken up by anyone outside of the Irish population/diaspora. When I lived in the US, I used to go to a pub on Sunday   mornings to watch the matches live. Americans were always fascinated by the game of hurling and I always felt that the game would have huge potential over there! There are colleges in California  where students are playing  hurling  and the more people that play it the better, it makes the northern half of this country look pretty pathetic in comparison doesn't it?

That is a shit comment from a hurling snob obviously. There are a lot of people in the north who live for hurling and you show them no respect with that statement. Using an example, I know Armagh are not going to be competing for the Liam Mc Carthy any time soon but them boys put a lot of effort in and have raised the profile in the county which I think is better than a few yanks trying their hand at it.

I am far from a hurling snob and I apologise if you feel offended by my comment.  I played hurling in Belfast for 2 years and I know only too well the efforts being out in by well meaning  hurling folk north  of the Dublin -Galway motorway! And I did say the northern half of the country, ie that includes Connacht and a lot of Leinster as well!! ;) That being said, most of those county boards will always give a preference to football and consequently give less resources to the hurling side of things and hurling will  always lose out in these circumstances! It is pretty damn frustrating to see this happen  and it adds to the intrigue of the Americans ( whoever they are) playing the  sport. I want hurling to grow and prosper and I don't care how it's done to be honest!. If it takes the " few yanks" to shame some of these single minded people in our own country to  give hurling  a fairer crack of the whip then it's a result isn't it?

Minder

Tyrone have just appointed their first hurling development officer, and by the sounds of their chairman if hurling died a death he would be happy enough to do without the expense of the county hurlers. Derry would have huge potential to push Antrim for an Ulster championship if they put more into the hurlers, two U-21 Ulster titles in a row and a perennially strong St Pats Maghera school team. Yet they seem to be of the notion an All Ireland is just around the corner for the footballers.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

seafoid

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 05, 2011, 09:20:42 PM

(The slaughter of civilians that Seafoid quoted was carried out by Saddam Hussein, the USA's opponent in this war.)

FFS, Eamonn . You are a parody.

Hundreds of thousands of Iraqis have died since the US launched the war.
Do you remember what the US Army did in Falluja?

What's the difference between the US war machine and that of Nazi Germany?  The Nazis lost.
It's always about access to resources. And following orders.

If the Nazis could have used depleted uranium and white phosphorous I'm sure they would have. 

Or are you a believer in the greatest generation?   

Zapatista

Quote from: seafoid on January 06, 2011, 12:00:43 PM

What's the difference between the US war machine and that of Nazi Germany?  The Nazis lost.

Motive is another key difference.

Don't think i'm defending them I just don't want to rewrite history.

I don't think this has anything to do with US soldiers playing hurling. If it was Chinese hurlers we'd soon forget about Tibet.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: seafoid on January 06, 2011, 12:00:43 PM
FFS, Eamonn . You are a parody.

There's a bigger difference than that and you know it. "Parody" indeed!

The policies of the US government have nothing to do with these lads playing hurling.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 06, 2011, 04:27:21 PM
The policies of the US government have nothing to do with these lads playing hurling.

ha ha.

this thread is hilarious!

any idea what Cody or Sheedy make of all of this then? Or Daithi Regan for that matter?

Eamonnca1

seafoid

How many hurlers are there in the US ?
How many are Yank as opposed to Irish?
Where do they get their hurls ? 

bottlethrower7

I took a training session for a hurling team in the far mid-west a couple of years ago. 90% of the lads there were yanks. Some of Irish lineage, others ice-hockey players needing something to do in the summer, more responding to a local new station item that had been on the telly the week before.

It was an eye-opener for sure. They'd go through a wall for you. They couldn't hit the ball to save their lives but by jaysus they were a determined shower. They could teach the lazy shower of shites up in my club a thing or 2 about effort.

Don't know if any of them are in the army though. Probably  not.

Edit: As regards their hurls - the Irish lads bring a bundle over with them everytime they return home from a visit here. And one of the Irish-descended lads tried making his own. Shapely it was too but the grain was all over the shop.