Mickey Harte quizzed by PSNI after accusations of physical abuse at school?

Started by downandboogie, January 02, 2011, 06:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublinfella

Quote from: supersarsfields on January 04, 2011, 02:47:16 PM
I'd say most Tyrone people and Ulster GAA people will support him until there's proof otherwise, if that ever happens.

Yet in other cases they would support the student...

My point is, despite my own belief that he has been stitched up, that if you defend him simply because he is in the GAA, you are on a very slippery slope.

LeoMc

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 04, 2011, 04:09:24 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on January 04, 2011, 03:27:13 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on January 04, 2011, 02:35:00 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 04, 2011, 02:24:20 PM

I don't like accusing people of such a horrible and dispicable crime, until the facts are in. Whether that be Mickey Harte, Priest or anyone else for that matter. It's a horrible thing to be labelled, if untrue.

Agreed. But one fact we know is that he was interviewed by the peelers about it. That in itself, like it or not, is newsworthy.

If the ONLY reason you believe him to be innocent is that he is the Tyrone manager, you need to sit down and have a little think to yourself. That is all.

An allegation made by a student against a teacher is not news worthy - this would happen fairly regularly and it is standard practice to be questioned by police if the allegation is made to them. What you are saying is that its news worthy because it was made against a high profile GAA personality - is that fair?

Teaching unions (in England anyway) are fighting to allow teachers to remain anonymous during any investigation into allegations as it can ruin reputations and the vast majority of times they are made by student with a grudge and are unfounded. I havent read the article but i would be interested where the source iof this article is from - was it the PSNI or was it Mr McConville??
Well he was happy enough to pose for pictures for the front page of the Irish News at his daughter's wedding a couple of days before that - of all GAA figures I don't think he can complain about media attention!

Ah well if he posed for photos at his daughters wedding he is fair game then. ::)

pintsofguinness

Quote from: LeoMc on January 04, 2011, 04:25:19 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 04, 2011, 04:09:24 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on January 04, 2011, 03:27:13 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on January 04, 2011, 02:35:00 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 04, 2011, 02:24:20 PM

I don't like accusing people of such a horrible and dispicable crime, until the facts are in. Whether that be Mickey Harte, Priest or anyone else for that matter. It's a horrible thing to be labelled, if untrue.

Agreed. But one fact we know is that he was interviewed by the peelers about it. That in itself, like it or not, is newsworthy.

If the ONLY reason you believe him to be innocent is that he is the Tyrone manager, you need to sit down and have a little think to yourself. That is all.

An allegation made by a student against a teacher is not news worthy - this would happen fairly regularly and it is standard practice to be questioned by police if the allegation is made to them. What you are saying is that its news worthy because it was made against a high profile GAA personality - is that fair?

Teaching unions (in England anyway) are fighting to allow teachers to remain anonymous during any investigation into allegations as it can ruin reputations and the vast majority of times they are made by student with a grudge and are unfounded. I havent read the article but i would be interested where the source iof this article is from - was it the PSNI or was it Mr McConville??
Well he was happy enough to pose for pictures for the front page of the Irish News at his daughter's wedding a couple of days before that - of all GAA figures I don't think he can complain about media attention!

Ah well if he posed for photos at his daughters wedding he is fair game then. ::)
Not fair game as such but certainly is in a weak position to complain about negative press though to be fair he hasn't, it just seems to be paranoid tyronies. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

All of a Sludden

Lets just hope this complaint is investigated properly and promptly. I would seriously doubt there is anything in it other than the lure of compensation for these so called "victims".
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

dublinfella

Quote from: All of a Sludden on January 04, 2011, 04:46:21 PM
Lets just hope this complaint is investigated properly and promptly. I would seriously doubt there is anything in it other than the lure of compensation for these so called "victims".

You are dead right. Lets wait for the complaint to be investigated before passing judgement!!  ::)

supersarsfields

Quote from: dublinfella on January 04, 2011, 04:24:11 PM
I'd say most Tyrone people and Ulster GAA people will support him until there's proof otherwise, if that ever happens.

My point is, despite my own belief that he has been stitched up, that if you defend him simply because he is in the GAA, you are on a very slippery slope.

I'd have to disagree with you there, and I said as much about the PG incident when it happened. Innocient until proven guilty is the usual default motion for most logical people.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: dublinfella on January 04, 2011, 05:07:54 PM

You are dead right. Lets wait for the complaint to be investigated before passing judgement!!  ::)

I think judgement has been passed on all of the sons already. One was involved in the worst attrocity in the north. Another served time for INLA related offences.  Others have served time for various crimes from drugs to robberies and a burglary in which someone died. Google "Jean McConville son" and I think you`ll see Mickey Harte has nothing to worry about.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Gaffer on January 04, 2011, 07:23:52 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=JEAN+MCCONVILLE+SON

Mr Anti Gaa Dublinfella won't be impressed with you. It will be harder for him now to try and discredit a top gaa personality.

lawnseed

hold on lads, you cant strike kids who are in your care no matter who you are and no matter what they do. thats the law now and it was the law when the incident is alledged to have happened. what some posters are suggesting is that its ok to give kids a slap if you dont like how they're behaving :o do any of you coach at underage... think.. do any of you give kids a lift to underage games/training.. think.
  when i was at primary school our headmaster wasn't soft, once he pulled me by the ear i remember screeching  :'( :'( when i got home my father asked me why my ear was so red. so eventually i told him what happened. the next morning he left me to school when i got into class he ask the teacher outside all we could hear was the master squealing, when he came back in his ears were bright red. we still laugh at it now  and my da's near 70. but young mcconville hadnt got parents.
  nowadays children phone childline and the police move in. mickys innocent (i'm sure) he should counterclaim get his brief on to it right away. with all the young teams hes handled over the years his references should be brilliant and there will be hundreds of character wittnesses it wont be a problem.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

LeoMc

Quote from: dublinfella on January 04, 2011, 05:07:54 PM

;D ;D

rosnarun

isn't the behaviour of the like of McConville Junior exactly the type of behaviour expected of one who had a lousy childhood.
Mother killed , Presumablt an implict threat of violence  hang over his family for much of his youth , likely bad behaviour in school at the time likely punished in a physical manner , wheter by M harte or some other teacher . its a classic case of violence breeding violence . this does not condone it but merely show the stupidity of inflicting violence on children as many here have advocated.
the original victim has to come first anfd Justice must be done and seen to be done  to try and break the cycle.
what we shoul have learned from the last few decades of abuse revelations is nobody is above suspicion. Priests teachers Parent, uncles grandparents siblings and indeed in severfal cases sport coaches.
Like may i was subjected to the odd slap in school and while i dont think it did me any long lasting damage who knows and what if i didnt have a strong family support to help deal with it.
I would be very wary casting stones.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

red hander

Quote from: rrhf on January 04, 2011, 10:37:59 AM
Mickey Harte may have his critics but I see the quality of the reporting of this story as very low grade and amateur and so typical of the paper.  I think Mickey will know he will have the full support of Tyrone people and I would have thought Ulster Gaels as well on what unfortunately has the appearance of an attempt to blackguard his good name.   

Indeed ... written by a Stickie tout with a very dubious past

the processor

Quote from: supersarsfields on January 04, 2011, 05:12:48 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on January 04, 2011, 04:24:11 PM

I don't think Mickey Harte would want an inquiry into his past!!!!!!!!!

I'd have to disagree with you there, and I said as much about the PG incident when it happened. Innocient until proven guilty is the usual default motion for most logical people.

tyssam5

Quote from: lawnseed on January 04, 2011, 09:52:35 PM
hold on lads, you cant strike kids who are in your care no matter who you are and no matter what they do. thats the law now and it was the law when the incident is alledged to have happened. what some posters are suggesting is that its ok to give kids a slap if you dont like how they're behaving :o do any of you coach at underage... think.. do any of you give kids a lift to underage games/training.. think.
  when i was at primary school our headmaster wasn't soft, once he pulled me by the ear i remember screeching  :'( :'( when i got home my father asked me why my ear was so red. so eventually i told him what happened. the next morning he left me to school when i got into class he ask the teacher outside all we could hear was the master squealing, when he came back in his ears were bright red. we still laugh at it now  and my da's near 70. but young mcconville hadnt got parents.
  nowadays children phone childline and the police move in. mickys innocent (i'm sure) he should counterclaim get his brief on to it right away. with all the young teams hes handled over the years his references should be brilliant and there will be hundreds of character wittnesses it wont be a problem.

Are you sure 'corporal punishment' was against the law in the 1970's?