Injuries

Started by ck, December 31, 2010, 12:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

Anyone provide advice on niggling injuries that have lingered for a few years now?

Whilst running on the road by calf/achilles stiffens followed by pain. If I keep running it worsens. It seems to be around the area where my achilles meets bottom of my calf. I have had it for a few years now, have gone to physio who gave me insoles and I got new runners. All provided short term relief but I'm now back to square one.

My other injury seems to be tendonitus where my bicep meets my forearm. Feel it when I do bicep exercises, which I havent done in a year now, but if I try it I still feel it.

Any advice welcome!

Chris

ross4life

Ice baths works for some.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Baile an tuaigh

Quote from: ck on December 31, 2010, 12:34:43 AM
Anyone provide advice on niggling injuries that have lingered for a few years now?

Whilst running on the road by calf/achilles stiffens followed by pain. If I keep running it worsens. It seems to be around the area where my achilles meets bottom of my calf. I have had it for a few years now, have gone to physio who gave me insoles and I got new runners. All provided short term relief but I'm now back to square one.

My other injury seems to be tendonitus where my bicep meets my forearm. Feel it when I do bicep exercises, which I havent done in a year now, but if I try it I still feel it.

Any advice welcome!

Chris

I had a few injuries myself from being very active. My best advice is to take cod liver oil capsules for your joints. Try and take in at least two yoga classes per week if you can, proper stretching is imperative to injury prevention. If your fairly flush with cash try and get a deep tissue  hour and half massage every fortnight. You will feel like a new man

Hardy

Cod liver oil is fantastic, but take it from the bottle. The capsules are grand, but you'd need to take about twenty of them at a time to get the 15-20 ml a day you need for any effect.

ONeill

Quote from: ck on December 31, 2010, 12:34:43 AM

Any advice welcome!

Chris

Sounds like you're riddled with arthritis.

Here's some info that'll help - http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/in_depth/arthritis/living_with_arthritis.shtml
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

imtommygunn

Glucosamine supplements too.

I wouldn't be sure that it sounds like arthritis. I run a lot and used to get a lot of bother with the calves. I still do get a wee bit of bother but not so much. Plenty of stretching (heel drops), making sure you've the right supporting trainers and things like that will help. Sometimes bad "gait" causes this and trainers / insoles help this. New trainers if they're not the right ones help. Take hills out of your running if you use them - they put a lot of stress on the calves.

Not sure about the tendonitis as I've never encountered it.

lurganblue

Got a knee injury two weeks before the marathon a few months ago. Decided to go to up and running to get a gait analysis. Found out I was using the complete wrong running trainer. I need support on the arches of my feet as I tend to pronate as I run which can wear on your legs over long distances. Worth getting done and is free if you then buy some trainers.

ck

Thanks lads. I don't know much but  I'm pretty sure I don't have arthritus. Just two persistant injuries that I can't get rid of.

ck

Any physios on these boards who could throw some light?

under the bar

You don't need a physio to know it's the kn**ker's Yard for you mate.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ck on January 01, 2011, 05:38:31 PM
Thanks lads. I don't know much but  I'm pretty sure I don't have arthritus. Just two persistant injuries that I can't get rid of.

Regarding your tendonitis: had the same thing a few years back (caused by trying to play lawn-tennis as table-tennis), and came across a compound called 'CT Cream' (for Carpal Tunnel), that seemed to do the trick. Have no problems with tendonitis now, at all.

Google 'CT Cream', and you'll happen upon it (from the US), it may help.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ck

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 07, 2011, 12:13:32 AM
Quote from: ck on January 01, 2011, 05:38:31 PM

Regarding your tendonitis: had the same thing a few years back (caused by trying to play lawn-tennis as table-tennis), and came across a compound called 'CT Cream' (for Carpal Tunnel), that seemed to do the trick. Have no problems with tendonitis now, at all.

Google 'CT Cream', and you'll happen upon it (from the US), it may help.

Excellent, thanks.
Yes I have trawled the internet and Carpel Tunnel has come up. Thanks again!

Puckoon

On the back of 2 weeks solid training for an upcoming tournament next weekend, I've finally succumbed to the nipple chafe.

Fuckin atrocious injury. The Vaseline and plasters will be out in force tomorrow.

nrico2006

Anyone ever experienced sacroiliac joint dysfunction? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

thebigfella

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 22, 2011, 08:59:13 AM
Anyone ever experienced sacroiliac joint dysfunction?

You should get one of those little rolling machines or mats.