Injuries

Started by ck, December 31, 2010, 12:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: thebigfella on March 22, 2011, 09:01:07 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on March 22, 2011, 08:59:13 AM
Anyone ever experienced sacroiliac joint dysfunction?
You should get one of those little rolling machines or mats.

Or a second opinion. Who diagnosed SI joint dysfunction (Doc or Physio)?
Did you go for an MRI?

illdecide

Had surgery on my achilles 4 weeks ago...nightmare
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Radda bout yeee

How long should you be out with a hamstring injury?

Any tips on how to speed the process up? I'm not that big of loss to the club but I like playing ball in the summer months!  ;D

theskull1

Depends how bad the injury is. Could be anything from a couple of weeks for a slight tweak to 6-8 weeks for a pull. Will require a period of rehab training before you'd get back into normal training/matches (i.e no sprinting, fast turns etc as you get it moving again)

Would recommend a physio to direct you. If youre rubbish and/or champuionship isn't around the corner then the Oxygen Therapy Centre in larne is probably out of the question as regards speeding up recovery
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: theskull1 on June 01, 2011, 09:48:12 AM
Depends how bad the injury is. Could be anything from a couple of weeks for a slight tweak to 6-8 weeks for a pull. Will require a period of rehab training before you'd get back into normal training/matches (i.e no sprinting, fast turns etc as you get it moving again)

Would recommend a physio to direct you. If youre rubbish and/or champuionship isn't around the corner then the Oxygen Therapy Centre in larne is probably out of the question as regards speeding up recovery

I wouldn't go as far as to say i was rubbish but defo not in the bracket of going to larne for treatment! lol
Just thought some like minded gaels could give me a few exercise tips eg, cycling? swimming? stretches? Prob will head to the physio this weekend!

theskull1

;)

As I've said, physio needs to assess and take it from there. If its painful to just do normal things like walk/bend over then I'd guess youre in the 6-8 weeks catagory. Google will help as regards exercise tips.

would also recomment a cryo cuff for it (google it).
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Orior

Quote from: ck on December 31, 2010, 12:34:43 AM
Anyone provide advice on niggling injuries that have lingered for a few years now?

Whilst running on the road by calf/achilles stiffens followed by pain. If I keep running it worsens. It seems to be around the area where my achilles meets bottom of my calf. I have had it for a few years now, have gone to physio who gave me insoles and I got new runners. All provided short term relief but I'm now back to square one.

My other injury seems to be tendonitus where my bicep meets my forearm. Feel it when I do bicep exercises, which I havent done in a year now, but if I try it I still feel it.

Any advice welcome!

Chris

Dear Chris,

What does the K stand for? My guess is Krispies.

Regards
Orior
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

David McKeown

Fractured my back last week playing football which sounds a lot worse than it is but does mean I am stuck in the house for a couple of weeks.  I generally hate sitting around doing nothing so as a result Im very bored now.  Anyone any advice for avoiding boredom, im through most video games and Blu rays that I own.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Overthebar!

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on June 01, 2011, 09:27:27 AM
How long should you be out with a hamstring injury?

Any tips on how to speed the process up? I'm not that big of loss to the club but I like playing ball in the summer months!  ;D

Alot of this info won't mean much to you but this would be what a decent s&c coach in dublin recommends:

19 year old Gaelic Football Player.

Grade 1 hamstring strain picked up in a 1st round senior football championship game.

Athlete had 6 days to be ready for 2nd game.

Rehab Protocol

Day 1 - Saturday Afternoon:

Table Treatment:

Stripped Hamstrings
Performed Soft Tissue Release to Hamstrings and Hip Flexors
MET Hamstrings and Hip Flexors

SFMA Corrective Circuit x3:

Mobility: AIS Hamstring x8
Static Stability: Supported Leg Lowering x8
Dynamic Stability: 1 Leg Glute Bridge (Belly breathing emphasis) x5
Dynamic Stability/Pattern: Reaching Single Leg Deadlift x8

Athlete regained MSF (with a slight stiffness still in hamstring), and MSE.

Day 2 - Sunday Evening:

Athlete spent all Saturday evening at home doing SFMA corrective circuit and iced hamstring, and now had a pain free FN MSF pattern, as well as a FN MSE.

Table Treatment:

Same as Day 1

Same as Day 1

Pitch Work:

Warm Up:
Perform a 10-15 yard stride after every movement, slowly increasing speed of each stride

Knee Hug
Heel to Butt
Overhead Reach Lunge
Spiderman
Inchworm
Backward SLDL Walk
Straight Leg Walk
A-Skip
High Knees
High Heels
Backpedal
Backward Run
Side Skip
Crossover Skip
Crossunder Skip
Carioca
Side Shuffle

2x6 10yard jog into 20yard strides @50%

2x6 10yards straight leg skip into 20yards of strides @50%

Athlete maintained MSF, which indicated that the hamstring had tolerated the workload placed upon it.

Day 3 - Monday Morning:

Athletes FN MSF remained as did MSE. No Pain at all in hamstring.

Table Treatment:

Same as Day 1&2

Same as Day 1&2

Pitch Work:

After Warm Up

Circuit x2:

Lunge Matrix x5 Each Leg
Linear Bounds x5 Each Leg
Lateral Bounds x5 Each Leg
Linear Hops x5 Each Leg
Medial/Lateral Hops x3 Each Way

2x6 10yard jog into 20yard strides @75%

2x6 10yards straight leg skip into 20yards of strides @75%

Athlete maintained MSF, which indicated that the hamstring had tolerated the workload placed upon it.

His speed of strides also increased from 50-75%. He reported that when taking off he could feel the hamstring a little bit in the first two strides.

Athlete was advised to rest until following evening. Drink plenty water, eat fish, and clean food, and sleep well to all help promote recovery.

Day 4 - Tuesday Evening

Athlete did report a bit of soreness in Glutes from the previous days pitch circuit. A good thing.

Table Treatment:

Same as Day 1,2&3

Same as Day 1,2&3 - A more focused soft tissue release to area where stiffness in hamstring had been indicated the previous day.

Pitch Work:

After Warm Up

Circuit x2:

Lunge Matrix x5 Each Leg
Linear Hops x5 Each Leg

2x6 10yard A-Skip into 20yard strides @75%

2x6 10yards straight leg skip into 20yards of strides @75%

2x6 10 yard Linear Accelerations into deceleration @90-95%

2x3 10 yard Linear Acceleration into 5 yard Side Shuffle @ 90-95%

Athlete maintain MSF, which indicated that the hamstring had tolerated the workload placed upon it.

No pain in hamstring during any of the above activities.

Day 5 - Wednesday Evening

Table Treatment:

Same as Day 1,2,3&4

Same as Day 1,2,3&4

Pitch Work:

After Warm Up

Circuit x2:

Lunge Matrix x5 Each Leg
Linear Hops x5 Each Leg

2x6 10yard A-Skip into 20yard strides @ 75-85%

2x6 10yards straight leg skip into 20yards of strides @ 75-85%

2x6 10 yard Linear Accelerations into deceleration @100%

2x3 10 yard Linear Acceleration into 5 yard Side Shuffle @100%

Athlete maintain MSF, which indicated that the hamstring had tolerated the workload placed upon it.

No pain in hamstring during any of the above activities.

Day 6 - Thursday Evening Game Day

Athlete had Kinesio tape applied to hamstring before game. Athlete reported to be feelng great.

First Half - Athlete moved extremely well scoring three points (2 from play, 1 free)

Second half - Athlete felt hamstring and had to come off - Crap!!

Athlete reported afterwards that he felt great in first half, and felt that the half interval (where he sat down for 15minutes, and let the hamstring "get cold"), was the undoing of all the work.

So that was a great lesson. Athlete felt if he had done a mini warm up again (to get heat and blood back into hamstring) at half time, he would have been fine.

http://allthingsstrength.blogspot.com/

I know there is a fair bit of jargon there but you can google some stuff to help...

The Claw

How do the "grades" work for hamstring tears. Is grade 1 the worst or "best"?

NAG1

It amazes me in the GAA how guys with a hamstring strain or slight tear even think they can make it back in a weeks time.

Any physio or any medical person who could get an athlete fit from a muscle injury in that space of time would be working at the highest level of sport, EPL, Diamond League etc

Overthebar!

Grade 1 is the easiest and Grade 3 is the most severe

nrico2006

Quote from: NAG1 on June 10, 2011, 10:17:15 AM
It amazes me in the GAA how guys with a hamstring strain or slight tear even think they can make it back in a weeks time.

Any physio or any medical person who could get an athlete fit from a muscle injury in that space of time would be working at the highest level of sport, EPL, Diamond League etc

Had hamstring bother in 2007 and thought after a week that I would be fine, had knocked over 2 scores in first 5 minutes and as soon as I hit the second I pulled it again.  I rested and followed physios rehab programme and came back 3 weeks later and same thing again.  This was to go on all summer.  In 2009 I did the other one, but this time I just rested for 3/4 weeks and did rehab and came back fine.  Its a very deceptive injury as after a few days to a week you will feel fine and even sprinting can feel fine, buts it turning at speed or when you are hunched over when after receiving a ball and trying to spin around a man that you are likely to aggravate it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

magpie seanie

Something wrong with my knee. Was a little stiff and weak after a couple of hard training sessions in the last couple of weeks but thought it was just one of those things. Yesterday in a game I put the brakes on when going full pelt and got a sharp pain. Played on but didn't feel right throughout, particularly when doing anything but running straight. Iced it immediately I went home but no swelling. Most of the time I wouldn't know anything about it but going up and particularly down stairs is bad and its awkward driving. Am hoping its nothing too serious but have a bad feeling. What should I do?

ballinaman

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 04, 2011, 02:56:16 PM
Something wrong with my knee. Was a little stiff and weak after a couple of hard training sessions in the last couple of weeks but thought it was just one of those things. Yesterday in a game I put the brakes on when going full pelt and got a sharp pain. Played on but didn't feel right throughout, particularly when doing anything but running straight. Iced it immediately I went home but no swelling. Most of the time I wouldn't know anything about it but going up and particularly down stairs is bad and its awkward driving. Am hoping its nothing too serious but have a bad feeling. What should I do?
Sounds like it could be your meniscus(cartliage in the knee). How is it when ya straighten out your knee fully?? Any clicking? Can you bend it fully? Where excatly do you get pain in the knee