Connacht FBD League 2011 Extravaganza - Official Thread Anseo

Started by Barney, December 30, 2010, 10:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: ross4life on January 23, 2011, 05:08:37 PM
How many of that Mayo team today would be first 15? for Roscommon about 5 i would say.

Hopefully some of the new faces will turn into top IC players but realistically only Higgins would be a cert.

Howley, Barry Moran and Ronaldson would be all in with a shout of starting.

The more of the rest that come into serious contention the better.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on January 23, 2011, 05:12:48 PM
We have problems

Sligo 0-13 NUIG 3-9

Very harsh scoreline as we dominated for long periods and played some entertaining attacking football. Game started off with Pat Hughes straight threw on NUIG keeper only to kick it straight at him, then NUIG went up a got a sharp goal.  The 2 mayo corner forward were very sharp and slick and it took us a while to get to grips but our problems were in midfield and HB line. It was 1-2 to 0-1 and then at HT it was 1-7 to 0-6. Sligo outscored NUIG in the first 25 mins of 2nd half 6 to 2 to level 1-9 to 0-12 and sligo missed a 20yard free, 3 goal chances, one a decent save, 2 other just wide, maye just missed 2 frees aswell in that 25 min spell. When Sligo drew level with a brilliant  brehony point 5 mins left and sligo on top everywhere, a normal person would think sligo win but typical sligo. 2 long balls over ross donovan into his man equals 2 goals, game over.

Our corner backs keep making fatal errors, M Quinn nailed down the CHB postion with a very asured performance, Harrison did well wing back, Midfield non existant for us, but Gilmartin did well for them,  moftm was marren, absolutely destroyed the NUIG defence time and again, won 50/50 ball, looks seriously sharp and confident, costello did well when introduced and got a trademark score, brehony was very good aswell, kennedy at corner back did well for long spells but like ross we cant afford laspses. Gilsenan did fine at FB imo but need to see more of him there. EOH did well at CHF.

For the NFL i can see us conceding a few heavy scores and i dont think we have the midfield to get enough ball into forwards to outscore teams.

Was that Douglas and Doherty?
MWWSI 2017

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: muppet on January 23, 2011, 05:15:45 PM
We have problems

Sligo 0-13 NUIG 3-9

Very harsh scoreline as we dominated for long periods and played some entertaining attacking football. Game started off with Pat Hughes straight threw on NUIG keeper only to kick it straight at him, then NUIG went up a got a sharp goal.  The 2 mayo corner forward were very sharp and slick and it took us a while to get to grips but our problems were in midfield and HB line. It was 1-2 to 0-1 and then at HT it was 1-7 to 0-6. Sligo outscored NUIG in the first 25 mins of 2nd half 6 to 2 to level 1-9 to 0-12 and sligo missed a 20yard free, 3 goal chances, one a decent save, 2 other just wide, maye just missed 2 frees aswell in that 25 min spell. When Sligo drew level with a brilliant  brehony point 5 mins left and sligo on top everywhere, a normal person would think sligo win but typical sligo. 2 long balls over ross donovan into his man equals 2 goals, game over.

Our corner backs keep making fatal errors, M Quinn nailed down the CHB postion with a very asured performance, Harrison did well wing back, Midfield non existant for us, but Gilmartin did well for them,  moftm was marren, absolutely destroyed the NUIG defence time and again, won 50/50 ball, looks seriously sharp and confident, costello did well when introduced and got a trademark score, brehony was very good aswell, kennedy at corner back did well for long spells but like ross we cant afford laspses. Gilsenan did fine at FB imo but need to see more of him there. EOH did well at CHF.

For the NFL i can see us conceding a few heavy scores and i dont think we have the midfield to get enough ball into forwards to outscore teams.

I think so, not hugely familar with mayo panel. Very impressed with both though.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Cosmo Kramer

How many of that Mayo team today would be first 15? for Roscommon about 5 i would say.

I don't think anyone has an iota of what our first 15 is at the moment, but as a guide only two of that 15 started against Sligo last year (Higgins and Varley) and only two against Longford as well (Higgins and Howley).

Some of today's lads won't be seen come summer of course but it is good for them to be part of a winning mayo team and hopefully we can pull a couple of genuine county players out of all this experimentation.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

ross4life

Worrying times indeed for Sligo fans 3 FBD games with no wins & won't get any easier in Divison 2

Doherty looks the real deal whenever i seen him play he has to be part of Mayo plans this year?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: ross4life on January 23, 2011, 05:21:08 PM
Worrying times indeed for Sligo fans 3 FBD games with no wins & won't get any easier in Divison 2

Doherty looks the real deal whenever i seen him play he has to be part of Mayo plans this year?

Him, Neil Douglas to come in from NUIG, Alan Freeman and Aidan O'Shea to come in from DIT, Enda Varley, Mark Ronaldson and Cillian O'Connor showing up well inside so far in the FBD. Options aplenty for the full-forward line. Can't see Conor Mortimer figuring this year.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ross4life

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on January 23, 2011, 05:20:09 PM

I don't think anyone has an iota of what our first 15 is at the moment, but as a guide only two of that 15 started against Sligo last year (Higgins and Varley) and only two against Longford as well (Higgins and Howley).

Some of today's lads won't be seen come summer of course but it is good for them to be part of a winning mayo team and hopefully we can pull a couple of genuine county players out of all this experimentation.

Lets be honest alot of the guys that played v Longford/Sligo should never see another Mayo Senior jersey again.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

shark

Sligonian, asking here from a Westmeath perspective. How did Gilmartins midfield partner Denis Corroon show up? Westmeath destroyed at midfield today.

spectator

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 23, 2011, 05:25:36 PM
Quote from: ross4life on January 23, 2011, 05:21:08 PM

Him, Neil Douglas to come in from NUIG, Alan Freeman and Aidan O'Shea to come in from DIT, Enda Varley, Mark Ronaldson and Cillian O'Connor showing up well inside so far in the FBD. Options aplenty for the full-forward line. Can't see Conor Mortimer figuring this year.

Do Mayo seem to be playing to any set pattern in the two games so far? It's going to be interesting to see what panel Horan picks for the league. Should be a good pointer to what stamp he's planning on putting on ye. He has no shortage of competition for places by  the looks of things.

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on January 23, 2011, 05:26:45 PM

Lets be honest alot of the guys that played v Longford/Sligo should never see another Mayo Senior jersey again.

To be honest some of us have thought and said the same thing. I called for the panel be formally stood down after Longford. The problem is that individually many of those players may still have a lot to offer. As a team though they were a rabble. The Kerrry or Tyrone squads wouldn't have fared much better with that mismanagement though.

criostlinn

Quote from: muppet on January 23, 2011, 05:15:45 PM
We have problems

Sligo 0-13 NUIG 3-9

Yep doherty and douglas. Doherty got the 3 goals. Dillon and Gardiner also played. What are these lads studying. 8 Mayo men on the team and  John Maughan in charge they are going to have to change the colour of the kit

Cosmo Kramer

To be honest there are only 3 or 4 that I would put in that category. Of course there will be a fair few changes this year but most of those who played those games have shown at other times that they have something to offer at their best and don't deserve to be discounted by Horan based on the mess that was our championship campaign last year.

Criostlinn - who were the other four Mayo men?
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

shark

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on January 23, 2011, 06:00:37 PM

To be honest there are only 3 or 4 that I would put in that category. Of course there will be a fair few changes this year but most of those who played those games have shown at other times that they have something to offer at their best and don't deserve to be discounted by Horan based on the mess that was our championship campaign last year.

Criostlinn - who were the other four Mayo men?

Ciaran Conroy is one. I'm a bit sketchy on the names but Nally(cant think of his first name) is another. Rochford from Crossmolina. Is Shane McHale from Mayo too? Donal Newcombe also.

criostlinn

NUI, Galway: Nathan King, Ciaran McDonald, Shane McHale, Keith Rogers, Peadar Gardiner, Ciaran Conroy, Josh Moore, Stephen Gilmartin, Denis Corroon, Fiachra Deasmhunaigh, Greg Higgins, Mark McHugh, Neil Douglas, Aodhan Mullan, Jason Doherty.

Dillon was named on the bench but started. There was another scatter of Mayo lads in the subs. Don't ask me who the were

muppet

Quote from: criostlinn on January 23, 2011, 06:23:00 PM
NUI, Galway: Nathan King, Ciaran McDonald, Shane McHale, Keith Rogers, Peadar Gardiner, Ciaran Conroy, Josh Moore, Stephen Gilmartin, Denis Corroon, Fiachra Deasmhunaigh, Greg Higgins, Mark McHugh, Neil Douglas, Aodhan Mullan, Jason Doherty.

Dillon was named on the bench but started. There was another scatter of Mayo lads in the subs. Don't ask me who the were

Is that Keith Rogers a Mayo minor from a year or two ago?
MWWSI 2017