Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 17, 2011, 02:04:28 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on January 17, 2011, 01:54:02 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 17, 2011, 12:36:26 PM
Quote from: moysider on January 16, 2011, 11:35:42 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 16, 2011, 10:15:08 PM
Quote from: moysider on January 16, 2011, 03:00:46 PM

Dunno. Thought James Burke was the class act. Most of his passing was quality. Being left footed he gives great balance at 7 and is always making himself available. He s a big plus for me. McGarrity kicked points the forwards couldn't and bossed the game towards the end. There were other steady enough showings and I m not going to say anything negative about anybody. It s a start anyway. Cillian O Connor showed his quality too. He took his goal chance well from a rebound from the post and of the forwards he was the only one to score a point from play. And it was a classy score. It ll be interesting to see where Cillian ends up in a forward line. Thought Ronaldson brought a bit of craft when he came on and he knows how to take a penalty.

Yeah, I agree with you on Burke in the sense that he is very keen and a very good option. I'm maybe being hard on him re kickpassing but there was a few times in the first half when he just horsed the ball into the full-forward line. But, in his defence, the movement wasn't always great inside. I'd certainly like to see him get another few runs because he has something to offer.

I ll go out on a limb here and say he is probably the best option for 7 we have, and maybe even the best half back we have available. I m delighted he has persisted with it and should have been in long ago. Badly treated in the past by management that didn't know any better.

He was minor in 2005 and, after leaving the panel midway through to concentrate on the Leaving, he was brought back in and somehow played corner-back in the All-Ireland final, not his position, suffered badly and probably that was a big set-back. Being in Dublin didn't help either. I gather he was good with the Under 21s in 2008? I was away that year. He definitely has something.

I also heard he got a Blue Star / Dublin GAA Club Star nomination or award in 07/08 so he obviously impressed playing up there. Was it Ballymun or Kilmacud Crokes he was playing with?

Ballymun. Is he still with them? The programme very infomratively listed his club the last day as 'Dublin'!

He is still with Ballymun indeed.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

jeez give the lad a break. if Horan is worth his salt at all O'connor will get mature and improve we should not expect any player to arrive at the agfe of 18 to the senior panel as the finished article. esp a free taker Technique is something that can always be imoroved on once there is an natural talen there.
i would be happy if he went back to the under 21s for a year or 2 to develop. playing senior football is a massive step up and no goo dcan come of being promoted  too early.
but its good for him to get a taste  of semi competitive action surely the pont of the FBD.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ross4life

Is O'Connor not 19 now the same age Donal Shine was when he first arrived at the senior stage but suppose Mayo's bigger panel means Cillian will have to wait his time.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: questforsam on January 19, 2011, 11:56:56 AM
Have they decided on Mayo Captain for the year?? Wonder who will get it?

A Ballintubber man. wait till you see, he has enough of them on the panel. So much for county wide trials.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on January 19, 2011, 12:01:16 PM

A Ballintubber man. wait till you see, he has enough of them on the panel. So much for county wide trials.

Id be embarrassed if I was from Westport reading your posts. 

AbbeySider

I think Andy Moran was captain for the FBD league anyway. I dont know who will be captain for the year.

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: AbbeySider on January 19, 2011, 12:14:48 PM

Westport are embarrassed by the inbreds that populate the rest of Mayo.

Tubberman

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on January 19, 2011, 12:35:20 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on January 19, 2011, 12:14:48 PM

Westport are embarrassed by the inbreds that populate the rest of Mayo.

This is just getting too obvious now Peadar. Must try harder!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

southsider

Does anyone know the number of players to be selected on the national league panel? have any of the newcomers a realistic chance of making the grade. based overseas now so bit out of touch.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: southsider on January 19, 2011, 02:09:32 PM
Does anyone know the number of players to be selected on the national league panel? have any of the newcomers a realistic chance of making the grade. based overseas now so bit out of touch.

I don't think there is a final league panel at all. He has said that he'll have a rolling panel of about 40 or so. Not sure at all of its composition. Still too early to say. But I do think a lot of new guys will be given their chance.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

rosnarun

Quote from: ross4life on January 19, 2011, 03:01:28 AM
Is O'Connor not 19 now the same age Donal Shine was when he first arrived at the senior stage but suppose Mayo's bigger panel means Cillian will have to wait his time.
one thing has nothing to do with the other
different players mature at different ages and indeed go off the boil at different ages
some like samus oneil play their best Ball before they are 21 and others like Pat falon after they are  30 or kevin o'neill  Brilliant  at u21 and over 30 no career inbetween.
All im saying is let him develop at his own pace
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Farrandeelin

Serious? You're saying O'Neill was no good in between the years of 21-30???

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 20, 2011, 08:03:27 PM
Serious? You're saying O'Neill was no good in between the years of 21-30???

Didn't know he played that long ago. ???
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

venter

solid performance from the corner backs on sat evening! Two midfielders were good too, especially Mcgarrity in the second half. O'Connor looks like he has a bit of potential in at corner forward, lovely point at the end. Disappointed not to see James cafferty not togging for Gmit, he's been cursed with injuries for last 2 years.  Fairly poor performance, 7 pints in Johnny's and wrote off all of sunday!