Connacht FBD League 2011 Extravaganza - Official Thread Anseo

Started by Barney, December 30, 2010, 10:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

One last thing...

McHale park looked splendid under lights. It really looked well, looking forward to the Down game  :)

highorlow

McGarrity took over Midfield and his dominance gave us a lot of ball, he kicked two nice points, although it was the first time I saw a point in an FBD game being celebrated

It was probably the first point he has scored in 4 or 5 years. I was hoping when the new manager came in he would clear out the deadwood.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Tubberman

Quote from: highorlow on January 17, 2011, 09:37:25 AM
McGarrity took over Midfield and his dominance gave us a lot of ball, he kicked two nice points, although it was the first time I saw a point in an FBD game being celebrated

It was probably the first point he has scored in 4 or 5 years. I was hoping when the new manager came in he would clear out the deadwood.
Bit unfair on McGarrity there.
a) He's a midfielder, scoring is his not primary responsibility
b) He has scored quite a few points for us - got a couple of great scores v Galway in 09 Connacht final

But overall, I'd agree that McGarrity really needs to step up and dominate games this year. And if he's not winning clean ball, he has to learn to at least spoil it for the opposition midfielders. He's too easily bullied out of the game.
But Horan has brought quite a few potential midfielders into the provisional panel, so he could be of the same view, and if nothing else it should give McG a kick up the arse to see potential successors to him being given their chance. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

An Gaeilgoir

Kevin Dolan's lower jaw broken in 2 places. Major damage to his teeth also. Heading for the op tomorrow in Galway. Met his father last night, we have waited so long to get someone in the senior panel and this happens. The game should have never gone ahead imo, but the light s HAD to be turned on and that is what is important, these days. Was at the game, a pointless exercise what with the weather and all. Rant over.

Tubberman

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on January 17, 2011, 10:56:03 AM
Kevin Dolan's lower jaw broken in 2 places. Major damage to his teeth also. Heading for the op tomorrow in Galway. Met his father last night, we have waited so long to get someone in the senior panel and this happens. The game should have never gone ahead imo, but the light s HAD to be turned on and that is what is important, these days. Was at the game, a pointless exercise what with the weather and all. Rant over.

Awful news for Kevin Dolan - terrible thing to happen only 7 mins into his senior debut.
But was there really any reason why the game wouldn't be played?
I wasn't at the match, but was it not just "one of those things" - an accident which the conditions may have contributed to, but wouldn't have been enough to cancel the game surely? Then we'd never have games played on a wet pitch.

AbbeySider

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on January 17, 2011, 10:56:03 AM

I heard that after the game. Mid-West said he was in a fair bit of distress.
Very sad and disappointed for him, his family and Tourmakeady people.
It was a freak accident where he was tackling and fell only to get clipped in the jaw by the heel of the man he was tackling. He will be out for a few weeks I guess but im hoping its not over for him just yet. If he stays in shape and keeps up the programs and training (non contact) he wont slip too far behind and may make another appearance yet.

Why do you think the game should not have gone ahead?
I dont think it was such a pointless exercise, a lot of new players were blooded and did well.

AbbeySider

Quote from: highorlow on January 17, 2011, 09:37:25 AM

highorlow, McGarity often scores for Mayo and scored in the NFL and FBD last year and got many scores in 2009.
Show-boating and celebrating after a score like that in an FBD game is a little much but we will let it slide. ;)

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on January 16, 2011, 11:35:42 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 16, 2011, 10:15:08 PM
Quote from: moysider on January 16, 2011, 03:00:46 PM

Dunno. Thought James Burke was the class act. Most of his passing was quality. Being left footed he gives great balance at 7 and is always making himself available. He s a big plus for me. McGarrity kicked points the forwards couldn't and bossed the game towards the end. There were other steady enough showings and I m not going to say anything negative about anybody. It s a start anyway. Cillian O Connor showed his quality too. He took his goal chance well from a rebound from the post and of the forwards he was the only one to score a point from play. And it was a classy score. It ll be interesting to see where Cillian ends up in a forward line. Thought Ronaldson brought a bit of craft when he came on and he knows how to take a penalty.

Yeah, I agree with you on Burke in the sense that he is very keen and a very good option. I'm maybe being hard on him re kickpassing but there was a few times in the first half when he just horsed the ball into the full-forward line. But, in his defence, the movement wasn't always great inside. I'd certainly like to see him get another few runs because he has something to offer.

I ll go out on a limb here and say he is probably the best option for 7 we have, and maybe even the best half back we have available. I m delighted he has persisted with it and should have been in long ago. Badly treated in the past by management that didn't know any better.

He was minor in 2005 and, after leaving the panel midway through to concentrate on the Leaving, he was brought back in and somehow played corner-back in the All-Ireland final, not his position, suffered badly and probably that was a big set-back. Being in Dublin didn't help either. I gather he was good with the Under 21s in 2008? I was away that year. He definitely has something.

Re Kevin Dolan An Gaeligoir, that's awful to hear. I really do hope he gets another run out. The pitch and conditions weren't great at all for good football but it was definitely playable.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 17, 2011, 12:36:26 PM

Dunno. Thought James Burke was the class act. Most of his passing was quality. Being left footed he gives great balance at 7 and is always making himself available. He s a big plus for me. McGarrity kicked points the forwards couldn't and bossed the game towards the end. There were other steady enough showings and I m not going to say anything negative about anybody. It s a start anyway. Cillian O Connor showed his quality too. He took his goal chance well from a rebound from the post and of the forwards he was the only one to score a point from play. And it was a classy score. It ll be interesting to see where Cillian ends up in a forward line. Thought Ronaldson brought a bit of craft when he came on and he knows how to take a penalty.

Yeah, I agree with you on Burke in the sense that he is very keen and a very good option. I'm maybe being hard on him re kickpassing but there was a few times in the first half when he just horsed the ball into the full-forward line. But, in his defence, the movement wasn't always great inside. I'd certainly like to see him get another few runs because he has something to offer.

I ll go out on a limb here and say he is probably the best option for 7 we have, and maybe even the best half back we have available. I m delighted he has persisted with it and should have been in long ago. Badly treated in the past by management that didn't know any better.

He was minor in 2005 and, after leaving the panel midway through to concentrate on the Leaving, he was brought back in and somehow played corner-back in the All-Ireland final, not his position, suffered badly and probably that was a big set-back. Being in Dublin didn't help either. I gather he was good with the Under 21s in 2008? I was away that year. He definitely has something.

I also heard he got a Blue Star / Dublin GAA Club Star nomination or award in 07/08 so he obviously impressed playing up there. Was it Ballymun or Kilmacud Crokes he was playing with?

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on January 17, 2011, 01:54:02 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 17, 2011, 12:36:26 PM

I also heard he got a Blue Star / Dublin GAA Club Star nomination or award in 07/08 so he obviously impressed playing up there. Was it Ballymun or Kilmacud Crokes he was playing with?

Ballymun. Is he still with them? The programme very infomratively listed his club the last day as 'Dublin'!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AbbeySider

Quote from: Rossfan on January 17, 2011, 02:24:39 PM
The rhubarbs take over another thread  ::)

Dont worry you will get your chance to lick your wounds on this thread after next Sunday ;)

ross4life

Quote from: FL/MAYO on January 16, 2011, 11:36:03 PM
Quote from: stephenite on January 16, 2011, 11:18:13 PM
No pressure on you so young Cillian O'Connor, you have it in spades

Yep, this sounds familiar to the Aidan O'Shea build up two years ago.

Do you really think they are similar? one IMO has the makings of a good midfielder while the other guy is the most natural scorer for Mayo since Conor Mortimer
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Tubberman

Quote from: ross4life on January 17, 2011, 03:20:57 PM

Do you really think they are similar? one IMO has the makings of a good midfielder while the other guy is the most natural scorer for Mayo since Conor Mortimer

I think he means similar in the way they are being built up as the next big thing before they've played a 'real' competitive match.
I'll assume that Conor Mort comparison is meant as a compliment :D

ross4life

Quote from: Tubberman on January 17, 2011, 03:49:50 PM
Quote from: ross4life on January 17, 2011, 03:20:57 PM

I think he means similar in the way they are being built up as the next big thing before they've played a 'real' competitive match.
I'll assume that Conor Mort comparison is meant as a compliment :D

Yes though have my doubts will young O'Connor ever finish a season as Championship top scorer

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open