Hangover honey.

Started by ONeill, December 24, 2010, 10:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Toast and honey 'best hangover cure'

Hair of the dog, a fry-up or drinking lots of caffeine are all popular cures for a Christmas hangover, but scientists have discovered an unusual addition to the list.

Instead of grabbing a cup of coffee and a plate of bacon and eggs, the best breakfast after a heavy night out could be toast with a large dollop of honey.

Dr John Emsley, of the Royal Society of Chemistry, says hangovers are caused when the body converts alcohol into the toxic chemical acetaldehyde.

"Only time cures a hangover, and generally the acetaldehyde will be gone by mid-morning or midday. You can speed recovery by taking in more fluids, but hair of the dog only works if it relieves alcohol withdrawal symptoms, which suggests you are becoming addicted.

"The best breakfast is toast and honey, which provides the body with the sodium, potassium and fructose it now needs."

Dr Emsley added that the best way to avoid a hangover in the first place is to have a glass of milk before you start drinking, stick to gin or vodka with a few soft drinks throughout the night, and then have a pint of water before you go to bed. And remember to stock up on honey

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20101224/tuk-toast-and-honey-best-hangover-cure-dba1618.html

Always forget the pint of water and have never tried the milk.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

My head's clean, thanks sweetie.
Testing Accessibility

beer baron

Full brakfast and hope it stays down,then more stout!

DirtyDozen12

Interesting information there.  Must try the milk thing.

Usually i try and take a pint of water and 2 headache tablets to bed with me where ive had a right bit to drink.  When i wake up at around 7 in the morning (you always wake early from a nights drinking) i pop the 2 headache tabs and down the water and sleep for another few hours.  Usually helps me a bit.

I hate hangovers, anyone ever puke that yellow bile stuff the next morning after a serious rip the night before? 
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

Tony Baloney

Same auld shit every year. It's no secret that you should drink more water when out and not mix drinks.

I've been down to the bile (and beyond into dry retching) a few times and it's bad. Gives the old abs a workout though.

Square Ball

friend always uses deoralite (not sure about the spelling) parents with young kids may know this stuff, used to stop kids with the skitters from dehydrating. takes a sachet of it before going to bed
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 24, 2010, 10:44:04 AM
Same auld shit every year. It's no secret that you should drink more water when out and not mix drinks.

I've been down to the bile (and beyond into dry retching) a few times and it's bad. Gives the old abs a workout though.

:D :D LOL indeed, wouldnt be long getting a six pack at that dry retching craic!!!!!
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

ziggysego

I must say, I've had a few wee functions and nights out for Christmas. I've kept a level year this year and been sensible the year. I guess maturity it finally starting to kick in, though everyone is assuming I'm ill, including my boss.
Testing Accessibility

Tony Baloney

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on December 24, 2010, 10:48:06 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 24, 2010, 10:44:04 AM

:D :D LOL indeed, wouldnt be long getting a six pack at that dry retching craic!!!!!
These are the tips you don't see in Mens Health! "Boke your way to fitness in 2011"

randomtask

Is there anyone out there who rarely gets hangovers even after serious benders?

andoireabu

Quote from: randomtask on December 24, 2010, 02:59:32 PM
Is there anyone out there who rarely gets hangovers even after serious benders?
depends what i have been on. pints all night destroy me but if it half 'uns then im usually ok.  Milk usually clears away any bother.  Never tried it before a session though.  Might give it a go tomorrow
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Don Johnson

Suffering here myself. Had a couple bacon sandwiches at about 11am and have drank about five pints of water but to no avail.

I really don't understand people going for the cure when they are hungover, you are just putting off the inevitable surely??

paco

I wish Christmas dinner cured hangovers, I'll give it a try but I can't see it doing me any favours.

leaveherinsir

Nothing cures the bastids in my opinion!! In fact at this stage mine seem to get worse as the day goes on!!

P.s. The title suggests some sort of cute young wan might cure ye!

andoireabu

Quote from: leaveherinsir on December 24, 2010, 05:11:34 PM
Nothing cures the bastids in my opinion!! In fact at this stage mine seem to get worse as the day goes on!!

P.s. The title suggests some sort of cute young wan might cure ye!

Wouldn't find too many of them in Ban Joe's!!
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!