Paul Galvin

Started by redandblackareback, December 21, 2010, 01:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoisgaa

If you have a problem with Paul Galvin taking a fashion course then it is you that needs to catch a grip and not me.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 29, 2011, 01:22:24 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on January 29, 2011, 06:40:00 AM
Quote from: gerry on January 29, 2011, 03:00:59 AM
god man mick. unbiased as normal

Proud to defend a fellow Kerryman. A Nordie like you wouldnt understand that given how your loyalties are more on a provincial level.

Yeah, sometime we all might be as small-minded, insular and parochial as you, we can only aspire!  :D

wow..a one line put down from FOSB. Quite an acheivement for such a windy hoor. I'll bet you are clenching that sphincter of verbosity trying to hold it all in  :D

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

gerry

todays indo

Sigerson's values lost in time warp

A friend of mine used to describe Donegal footballer Jim McGuinness as "Ireland's brainiest man." McGuinness, you see, seemed to forever be playing in the Sigerson Cup and we reckoned all this third-level education must surely have done wonders for him.

There were other players who also discovered the joys of third-level education, and football, at an advanced age, the likes of Anthony Finnerty, Brendan Jer O'Sullivan, Conor Mortimer and Michael Moyles come to mind. But the revelation that Paul Galvin will be playing in the tournament next year for DIT means that the man who introduced the phrase 'skinny jeans' into the lexicon of the GAA follower should set a unique record.

Because Galvin, who won a Munster club title with UCC in 1999 and played in the All-Ireland semi-final against Crossmaglen Rangers the following February, must surely be the first footballer to play colleges football in three different decades. And in doing so he raises questions about exactly who the Sigerson Cup is for.

Galvin is 31 now and will be lining up against, by and large, under 21 footballers. By and large because he won't be the only player who has come to the Sigerson Cup late.

Galvin will be taking a one-year diploma course in fashion buying. His interest in fashion has after all been well documented. But it will surely be an odd experience for the player who will probably be lining up against players he encountered while he was managing St Brendan's, Killarney and they were on the field. It's an anomaly which makes you wonder if the third-level cups might benefit from an age limit so that true undergraduates don't find themselves up against much older opposition.

In other Galvin news, he stalked, stylishly no doubt, out of the Sigerson launch without speaking to a soul even though the organisers had announced beforehand that he'd be available to the media. Paul, there's such a thing as an enigma. And then there's such a thing as an asshole. Don't start getting them confused.

- Eamonn Sweeney
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

spuds

Quote from: gerry on January 30, 2011, 10:01:48 AM
todays indo

A friend of mine used to describe Donegal footballer Jim McGuinness as "Ireland's brainiest man." McGuinness, you see, seemed to forever be playing in the Sigerson Cup and we reckoned all this third-level education must surely have done wonders for him.

There were other players who also discovered the joys of third-level education, and football, at an advanced age, the likes of Anthony Finnerty, Brendan Jer O'Sullivan, Conor Mortimer and Michael Moyles come to mind. But the revelation that Paul Galvin will be playing in the tournament next year for DIT means that the man who introduced the phrase 'skinny jeans' into the lexicon of the GAA follower should set a unique record.

Because Galvin, who won a Munster club title with UCC in 1999 and played in the All-Ireland semi-final against Crossmaglen Rangers the following February, must surely be the first footballer to play colleges football in three different decades. And in doing so he raises questions about exactly who the Sigerson Cup is for.

Galvin is 31 now and will be lining up against, by and large, under 21 footballers. By and large because he won't be the only player who has come to the Sigerson Cup late.

Galvin will be taking a one-year diploma course in fashion buying. His interest in fashion has after all been well documented. But it will surely be an odd experience for the player who will probably be lining up against players he encountered while he was managing St Brendan's, Killarney and they were on the field. It's an anomaly which makes you wonder if the third-level cups might benefit from an age limit so that true undergraduates don't find themselves up against much older opposition.

In other Galvin news, he stalked, stylishly no doubt, out of the Sigerson launch without speaking to a soul even though the organisers had announced beforehand that he'd be available to the media. Paul, there's such a thing as an enigma. And then there's such a thing as an asshole. Don't start getting them confused.

- Eamonn Sweeney
Sounds like Mr Sweeney has issues with Galvin, when a journalist has to resort to calling someone an asshole you know they have lost the plot. Aside from all this his article is a load of nothing, such an offence not to be wearing same slacks as Eamon Sweeney.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

tyssam5

Quote from: laoisgaa on January 29, 2011, 04:38:34 PM
If you have a problem with Paul Galvin taking a fashion course then it is you that needs to catch a grip and not me.

Whatever about Galvin, would you not agree there should be a limit on Sigerson eligibility? Say a max of 4 years, something similar to US college sports?

laoisgaa

No the only limit on eligibility should be as at present you have to be doing a full-time course! I don't think the sector should go down the ageist route - bad enough that freshers have to be Under 21 (that one makes sense by the way!)

INDIANA

Quote from: laoisgaa on January 30, 2011, 02:05:46 PM
No the only limit on eligibility should be as at present you have to be doing a full-time course! I don't think the sector should go down the ageist route - bad enough that freshers have to be Under 21 (that one makes sense by the way!)

I disagree. Over 25's should not be permitted to play University Football. In my view. This is ridiculous.

laoisgaa

Of course there is a school of thought which imposes an age limit, but in reality you are talking about a small number of players - virtually none in hurling and I can only think of around ten in Sigerson.

INDIANA

Quote from: laoisgaa on January 30, 2011, 02:09:57 PM
Of course there is a school of thought which imposes an age limit, but in reality you are talking about a small number of players - virtually none in hurling and I can only think of around ten in Sigerson.

Universities cannot be trusted unfortunately. Sigerson Football has largely turned into a cattle factory of inter county footballers.
You have:

- Universities where you can fail to pass the LC and still get in if you're inter county

- Universities where high ranking Gaa officials use their influence to get inter county players admitted

- Univerisities who enroll students on mickey mouse courses that they never attend. One UCD student worked on a farm all year while picking up a Dublin SFC title a few years ago.

The ethos and spirit Sigerson was famous for has evaporated. Its nothing more then an exhibition competition anymore where county players play largely only in the Sigerson tournament arriving for matches not even knowing the names of some fo the players they are playing with.

A Total farce in my view.

ross matt

Quote from: spuds on January 30, 2011, 10:14:32 AM
todays indo

- Eamonn Sweeney
Sounds like Mr Sweeney has issues with Galvin, when a journalist has to resort to calling someone an asshole you know they have lost the plot. Aside from all this his article is a load of nothing, such an offence not to be wearing same slacks as Eamon Sweeney.
Normally like Sweeney and agreed with previous stuff he wrote about Galvin but his comments above the player are over the top.

Maguire01

Quote from: ross matt on January 30, 2011, 04:59:29 PM
Quote from: spuds on January 30, 2011, 10:14:32 AM
todays indo

- Eamonn Sweeney
Normally like Sweeney and agreed with previous stuff he wrote about Galvin but his comments above the player are over the top.
But he turned up at the media event and then refused to engage with the media. He brings things on himself.

muppet

Why would anyone engage with the media when they treat him like Sweeney did in that article?

QuotePaul, there's such a thing as an enigma. And then there's such a thing as an asshole. Don't start getting them confused.

Sweeney might start taking his own advice.
MWWSI 2017

BennyHarp

Quote from: muppet on January 30, 2011, 05:47:01 PM
Why would anyone engage with the media when they treat him like Sweeney did in that article?

QuotePaul, there's such a thing as an enigma. And then there's such a thing as an asshole. Don't start getting them confused.

Did he really write that? I've no love for Galvin but thats out of order from Sweeney, a Gaelic footballer shouldnt have to take abuse like that from the media.
That was never a square ball!!

INDIANA

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 30, 2011, 05:54:02 PM
Quote from: muppet on January 30, 2011, 05:47:01 PM

Did he really write that? I've no love for Galvin but thats out of order from Sweeney, a Gaelic footballer shouldnt have to take abuse like that from the media.

I think if you actively seek publicity like Galvin. You have to take the consequences that go with it.