Paul Galvin

Started by redandblackareback, December 21, 2010, 01:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris agus Snoop

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0127/1224288405409.html

Galvin fashions early exit from launch - [EDIT: by Ian O'Riordan ... ATID]

GAELIC GAMES SIGERSON CUP: WE THOUGHT maybe he was just fashionably late, but Paul Galvin subsequently refused any interviews at yesterday's launch of the Sigerson Cup, despite being paid to be there for that very purpose.

Galvin posed for some photographs – suitably enough given his well-publicised venture into the fashion world – then promptly left Croke Park without explaining his sudden change of mind. A spokesperson for the GAA said "all they could do is apologise" but that was little consolation to the waiting journalists, many of whom had travelled considerable distance on the assumption Galvin would be available for interview.

Invitations to the launch – issued by the GAA's Higher Education Committee – clearly stated that "Paul Galvin, DIT and Kerry, will be available for media interviews", along with Liam Rushe of UCD and Dublin, who was there to promote the start of the Fitzgibbon Cup. While Rushe gladly obliged, Galvin had other ideas, much to the bemusement of everyone else in attendance, including the Sigerson and Fitzgibbon sponsors, Ulster Bank. We didn't even get to see what he was wearing.

Earlier this week Galvin was deemed eligible for this year's Sigerson competition having recently signed up for a one-year fashion course at the Dublin Institute. The 2009 footballer of the year is recovering from a minor hip operation but is expected to be fit for DIT's opening game against the University of Limerick, on February 17th – a game DIT will be well fancied to win.

In fact DIT are second favourites to win the Sigerson outright this year, behind defending champions DCU. DIT have yet to win a Sigerson title, but Galvin's addition and experience with Kerry will considerably boost their chances this year, given they already have the services of other established county players including Galway's Gareth Bradshaw, Peter Domican of Roscommon, Alan Freeman and Aidan O'Shea from Mayo, and Dublin's Diarmuid Connolly.

DIT recently recorded an impressive win over Wexford in the O'Byrne Cup, and the least of their ambitions will be to make the finals weekend on March 3rd-5th, where the quarter-finals, semi-finals and showpiece will be hosted by UCD – the inaugural winners of the competition, in 1911.

Yesterday's event in Croke Park was therefore billed as the launch of the centenary Sigerson Cup, and Galvin's presence was intended to highlight that. He'd previously played Sigerson football with UCC, captaining the team in 2002, but lost out in the final that year to Sligo IT.

Yet due to Galvin's refusal to reminisce on any such matters yesterday, it was left to GAA president Christy Cooney to drum up some interest, who said via a press release, that the "dedication and commitment of players participating in the various competitions should be acknowledged and it is heartening to note that the competitions continue to grow from strength to strength".

Galvin may have failed in his commitments in Croke Park yesterday, although he did talk earlier in the day to the Ryan Tubridy Show on RTÉ 2FM, saying he was looking for "a new abode, up in the big smoke".

"It's like I'm 18 all over again and I feel like I'm 18," Galvin told Tubridy. "I am probably a young 31-year-old."

A young 31 indeed, with plenty growing up to do yet.

So he takes the money and then doesn't bother to show up. What a DIVA.  ::)
Next he'll be saying he won't get out of bed for less than 10 grand.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Chris agus Snoop on January 28, 2011, 01:45:35 PM
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0127/1224288405409.html

Galvin fashions early exit from launch - [EDIT: by Ian O'Riordan ... ATID]

GAELIC GAMES SIGERSON CUP: WE THOUGHT maybe he was just fashionably late, but Paul Galvin subsequently refused any interviews at yesterday's launch of the Sigerson Cup, despite being paid to be there for that very purpose.

Galvin posed for some photographs – suitably enough given his well-publicised venture into the fashion world – then promptly left Croke Park without explaining his sudden change of mind. A spokesperson for the GAA said "all they could do is apologise" but that was little consolation to the waiting journalists, many of whom had travelled considerable distance on the assumption Galvin would be available for interview.

Invitations to the launch – issued by the GAA's Higher Education Committee – clearly stated that "Paul Galvin, DIT and Kerry, will be available for media interviews", along with Liam Rushe of UCD and Dublin, who was there to promote the start of the Fitzgibbon Cup. While Rushe gladly obliged, Galvin had other ideas, much to the bemusement of everyone else in attendance, including the Sigerson and Fitzgibbon sponsors, Ulster Bank. We didn't even get to see what he was wearing.

Earlier this week Galvin was deemed eligible for this year's Sigerson competition having recently signed up for a one-year fashion course at the Dublin Institute. The 2009 footballer of the year is recovering from a minor hip operation but is expected to be fit for DIT's opening game against the University of Limerick, on February 17th – a game DIT will be well fancied to win.

In fact DIT are second favourites to win the Sigerson outright this year, behind defending champions DCU. DIT have yet to win a Sigerson title, but Galvin's addition and experience with Kerry will considerably boost their chances this year, given they already have the services of other established county players including Galway's Gareth Bradshaw, Peter Domican of Roscommon, Alan Freeman and Aidan O'Shea from Mayo, and Dublin's Diarmuid Connolly.

DIT recently recorded an impressive win over Wexford in the O'Byrne Cup, and the least of their ambitions will be to make the finals weekend on March 3rd-5th, where the quarter-finals, semi-finals and showpiece will be hosted by UCD – the inaugural winners of the competition, in 1911.

Yesterday's event in Croke Park was therefore billed as the launch of the centenary Sigerson Cup, and Galvin's presence was intended to highlight that. He'd previously played Sigerson football with UCC, captaining the team in 2002, but lost out in the final that year to Sligo IT.

Yet due to Galvin's refusal to reminisce on any such matters yesterday, it was left to GAA president Christy Cooney to drum up some interest, who said via a press release, that the "dedication and commitment of players participating in the various competitions should be acknowledged and it is heartening to note that the competitions continue to grow from strength to strength".

Galvin may have failed in his commitments in Croke Park yesterday, although he did talk earlier in the day to the Ryan Tubridy Show on RTÉ 2FM, saying he was looking for "a new abode, up in the big smoke".

"It's like I'm 18 all over again and I feel like I'm 18," Galvin told Tubridy. "I am probably a young 31-year-old."

A young 31 indeed, with plenty growing up to do yet.

So he takes the money and then doesn't bother to show up. What a DIVA.  ::)
Next he'll be saying he won't get out of bed for less than 10 grand.

..and how much money have the newspapers  made off selling stories about Paul Galvin to fools like you ? You can be sure Paul Galvin has seen none of that money.

More power to him, the middle finger is exactly what those t**ts deserve.

Tatler Jack

QuoteYou can be sure Paul Galvin has seen none of that money

How are you so sure Mike? Doubt the IT would infer he was getting payment if not true. And people buy the IT for lots of reasons and I suspect few buy it to read anything about PG.

gerry

god man mick. unbiased as normal
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Tatler Jack on January 29, 2011, 12:28:17 AM
QuoteYou can be sure Paul Galvin has seen none of that money

How are you so sure Mike? Doubt the IT would infer he was getting payment if not true. And people buy the IT for lots of reasons and I suspect few buy it to read anything about PG.

Yes, no doubt he has gotten paid for direct media work. However, that is probably a fraction of what money has been made off his name of which he has seen nothing. Don't get me wrong, I dont like the idea of someone taking money and not delivering the "appearance" that was expected but gven the two parties  doing the complaining i.e journalists and GAA brass,  you'll forgive me for not being too cut up about it.

The only ones you might be tempted to feel sorry are would be the  DIT and the sigerson organizers but, then again,  I'm sure when they heard PG was going to study at DIT  his academic well being was their number one priority   ::)

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: gerry on January 29, 2011, 03:00:59 AM

Proud to defend a fellow Kerryman. A Nordie like you wouldnt understand that given how your loyalties are more on a provincial level.

heffo

The point is though Mike if he's going to make full time living from the media then he's pissing off the wrong fellas.

I was playing a match in Lucan Sarsfields last Sunday and the talk of  the club was of how Galvin had been in the day before having a few pints and when word spread a big crowd turned up and he apparently obliged one and all with pictures and autographs

That's the kind of pr he wants, not standing up the fellas who can make or break a media career fr him..

BennyHarp

Do people actually rush out to buy a paper because there is a story about Paul Galvin in it? The world has collapsed!
That was never a square ball!!

Kerry Mike

The sooner Galvin gets over his recent injury and gets back playing football the better, the winter is boring enough without having to read all this shite about him all the time.

Hopefully we will see him back in the Green and Gold sometime during the league.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on January 29, 2011, 06:40:00 AM
Quote from: gerry on January 29, 2011, 03:00:59 AM

Proud to defend a fellow Kerryman. A Nordie like you wouldnt understand that given how your loyalties are more on a provincial level.

Yeah, sometime we all might be as small-minded, insular and parochial as you, we can only aspire!  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

tonesfirstandlast

That university stuff is a complete farce. Paul galvin at 31 modelling knickers and tight blouses around some college and he gets to play football. Surely there were plenty of young county footballers in them universities who have played football in these competitions than someone that the reports said haven't been to a class yet.

laoisgaa

QuoteThat university stuff is a complete farce. Paul galvin at 31 modelling knickers and tight blouses around some college and he gets to play football. Surely there were plenty of young county footballers in them universities who have played football in these competitions than someone that the reports said haven't been to a class yet.

I have to say I take issue with this comment, having served on the National Higher Education GAA Committee in the past five years as PRO, and only having stepped down from the role because of the five-year rule, I'm still heavily involved on the fringes.

Paul Galvin, like him or lump him is a fully bona-fide student of DIT. He is doing a full-time course, is showing academic progression (as a change of career direction is allowed subject to a permission to play form being filled in).

I also take issue with your talk of guys not going to classes, blah blah blah. The vast majority of players in Higher Education competitions are full time students who attend classes, exceptions are made for repeat students while you are allowed one sabbatical officer per college team.

Comhairle Ardoideachais has one of the hardest tasks of any GAA committee in my estimation and excels itself for the most part, in having to deal with the eligibity of upwards of 7,000 players in the shortest timeframe possible of any sector of the GAA from late October to late March.

Yet it is the sector which is constantly frowned upon, dragged through the media etc etc. That's hugely wrong in my view.

Galvin is a huge asset to third level GAA, to DIT and to the Sigerson Cup as are the countless other players involved in all competitions from Junior Football, through to Freshers on to the Further Education Championships and ultimately the Sigerson and Fitzgibbon Cups.

It's time that someone stood up for Third Level GAA and I know the current Chairman Ray O'Brien is doing his best, but ill informed comments or rumours such as those prevailing GAA Discussion boards and elsewhere need to be counteracted.

I've no loyalties as such to the current committee, but having just finished up last September I'm a good man to ask if it's informed discussion you are after.

If anyone wants to fire any general questions about the sector at me re eligibility or otherwise don't hesitate to ask on here and I'll do my best to answer you.

tonesfirstandlast

Get a grip laoisgaa. A man of 31 playing colleges football. what sort of college would have a course for modelling tight blouses!

omagh_gael

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on January 29, 2011, 03:03:15 PM
Get a grip laoisgaa. A man of 31 playing colleges football. what sort of college would have a course for modelling tight blouses!

You're not a very open minded guy tones.

jodyb

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on January 29, 2011, 03:03:15 PM
No fan of the guy TFAL, but you cant be serious givin him a hard time bout playing sigerson at 31. Why shouldn't he? Look how long Jim Mc Guinness played Sigerson FFS. As for the venture into telly and fashion, again I think he has the persinality of a gnat, but fair fcuks to him if he can pull it off! He's just right laying the groudwork for a career when he's still in the limelight. Look at soccer stars the world over with advertising and endorsemnets of all sorts. Good Luck to him. (Just hope him or his ilk wont see another celtic cross for bout 20 years  :D)