S.P.O.T.Y 2011 - Anyone give a **** this year ?

Started by Hoof Hearted, December 15, 2010, 11:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: beer baron on December 21, 2010, 09:59:32 PM
Felt the Wichita lineman ride was excellent,the horse tried plough himself through every fence if memory serves me correctly,remember having it backed and thinking he'd be pulled up!

A ride of Mc coys i felt didn't get any of the sort of recognition it deserved was Albertas run in the 2009 Ryanair,told my brother to back it and didn't back it myself  ::),think it won at 20/1 or 16/1  :-[

So happy to see him win it - absolute hero!

I think Alberta's Run was this year. He won the RSA in 2008 then went for the Gold Cup in 2009 before switching successfully to the Ryanair this year. Perhaps somebody can confirm?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

beer baron

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 21, 2010, 10:10:38 PM
Felt the Wichita lineman ride was excellent,the horse tried plough himself through every fence if memory serves me correctly,remember having it backed and thinking he'd be pulled up!

A ride of Mc coys i felt didn't get any of the sort of recognition it deserved was Albertas run in the 2009 Ryanair,told my brother to back it and didn't back it myself  ::),think it won at 20/1 or 16/1  :-[

So happy to see him win it - absolute hero!

I think Alberta's Run was this year. He won the RSA in 2008 then went for the Gold Cup in 2009 before switching successfully to the Ryanair this year. Perhaps somebody can confirm?

You're correct,typing error on my behalf!

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: leaveherinsir on December 21, 2010, 10:09:47 PM
Well done to McCoy, even if did think McDowell beforehand! While watching the programme, i did think Jessica Ennis was probably the best sportsperson of them all, to be so good at all those athletic disciplines i believe is what makes a true sportsperson. Its a pity athletics has became so tainted by drugs. Well done to HoofHearted on starting a good thread here!

im actually watching a programme about her here now on SS which i had recorded. It shows here weekly training regime. Holy f**k it would make  your eyes water. AM and PM sessions 7 days a week. Plus she is some bit of gear too.

i was delighted McCoy won it. Not in to Horse rAcing either but my in-laws from Moneyglass and know him personally. We are having them over xmas day so the happier they are the happier i am :D I have it on the planner too so i might stick the last 15 mins on at some stage

Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

oakleafgael

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 21, 2010, 10:07:53 PM

Have a look at Timmy Murphy's ride on the same horse on his previous run at Chepstow on the ATR video archive. Completely different style but as good as if not better than McCoy's ride IMO.

The best ride of that Cheltenham by a country mile was Jamie Codd on Character Building. It was one of the best rides I've ever seen at the festival, up there with JT McNamara on Rith Dubh - both amateur riders strangely enough.

I think McCoy's greatest ever ride was when he somehow managed to beat Istabraq on Pridwell at Liverpool.

The ride he gave Edredon Bleu in the Queen Mother was a clinker.

oakleafgael

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPqMP9Ra7zA

This is his own list, cant see I would agree with it but its all opinions I suppose.

leaveherinsir

Quote from: oakleafgael on December 21, 2010, 10:20:38 PM

Have a look at Timmy Murphy's ride on the same horse on his previous run at Chepstow on the ATR video archive. Completely different style but as good as if not better than McCoy's ride IMO.

The best ride of that Cheltenham by a country mile was Jamie Codd on Character Building. It was one of the best rides I've ever seen at the festival, up there with JT McNamara on Rith Dubh - both amateur riders strangely enough.

I think McCoy's greatest ever ride was when he somehow managed to beat Istabraq on Pridwell at Liverpool.

Good job he didnt try that the other way round!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: oakleafgael on December 21, 2010, 10:20:38 PM

Still think Stormin' Norman is going to get Direct Route up every time I watch that!  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqopqcEhjdc&feature=related
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Hoof Hearted

one each now. G Mac won the RTE Sports Person of the year
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Tyrone Dreamer

I remember complaining a few years ago because rte made a big deal about Munster game being most watched sports programme of the year (even though the All Ireland finals had bigger average audiences) - something they didnt normally do. It was interesting to note they don't announce the most watched show when its not rugby. As far as I know it was the hurling.

Sea The Stars

Does anyone know the name of the song that was played during the Airticity League review last night?

BBC also played the same song when welcoming the Sports Personalities nominees on stage last Sunday?

maximus

Just Drive - Alistair Griffin was played during some of sports personality nominees don't know if that's the one your on about.

Sea The Stars

Quote from: maximus on December 23, 2010, 01:43:30 PM
Just Drive - Alistair Griffin was played during some of sports personality nominees don't know if that's the one your on about.

Cheers but not that one. There's no lyrics in it, think its what you might call an "epic" song.

screenexile

I think it was a tough call for either AP or GMac and I wouldn't begrudge either man of the award. Couldn't believe the number of people on Facebook last night who were not happy with Gmac winning the Free State personality.  .  . fair play to him I think!

The Real Laoislad

Yeah fair play to Gmac,I wonder what Katy Taylor has to do to win it though.
Maybe when she wins Olympic Gold in 2012 but I would have thought she should have won it this year given her success.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

thebigfella

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on December 22, 2010, 11:35:08 PM
I remember complaining a few years ago because rte made a big deal about Munster game being most watched sports programme of the year (even though the All Ireland finals had bigger average audiences) - something they didnt normally do. It was interesting to note they don't announce the most watched show when its not rugby. As far as I know it was the hurling.

FFS you have little to be doing with your time complaining about that ::)