The War You Don't See

Started by Arthur_Friend, December 14, 2010, 02:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhacadoir

This is going to be shown on UTV next Monday at 11.05pm, according to the films facebook page

aontroim

Watched it last night on the ITV London Sky channel.  Made for interesting viewing and certainly an eye opener in terms of what 'embedded' journalists are encouraged to report on and what not to.  BBC head of news collection was asked several difficult questions on issues about Iraq & Israel - was nice watching them squirm a little.

thejuice

Here's a question for all of us

QuoteOur freedom is at stake, actually. our freedom to drive a car, the freedom to eat imported cheap food and cheap energy. Thats what's at stake. Is that oil and gas worth all the blood shed.  Would you give up those "freedoms"??

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Declan

Good one Juice

Infinite growth of material consumption in a finite world is an impossibility.
E. F. Schumacher

Kenneth Boulding gave the field of economics a healthy dose of self-criticism. "Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world," he argued "is either a madman or an economist."

theskull1

Yeah, we're just like those little fish who swim under the belly of a shark to maintain their own safety.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: thejuice on December 15, 2010, 02:23:18 PM
Here's a question for all of us

QuoteOur freedom is at stake, actually. our freedom to drive a car, the freedom to eat imported cheap food and cheap energy. Thats what's at stake. Is that oil and gas worth all the blood shed.  Would you give up those "freedoms"??

The freedom of multi-national corporations to make huge amounts of money from oil and gas (and weapons) is what is at stake.

thejuice

Indeed, our 'freedom' as stated above is a by-product of that. I just think people on our side of the world sometimes don't seem to join the dots and its something that's happening 'over there'.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

bennydorano

I read Pilger's book on the Vietnam (Laos/Cambodia) and boys like him are worthy of as much scepticism as their right-wing opposites.  The boys (east anglian uni) that were prepared to do 'what it took' (falsified data) to make sure people got the message regarding climate change springs to mind.  left or right, with an agenda they're prepared to do what it takes to get the message across - which is fair enough imo.

Tyrones own

Quote from: bennydorano on December 15, 2010, 10:00:06 PM
I read Pilger's book on the Vietnam (Laos/Cambodia) and boys like him are worthy of as much scepticism as their right-wing opposites.  The boys (east anglian uni) that were prepared to do 'what it took' (falsified data) to make sure people got the message regarding climate change springs to mind.  left or right, with an agenda they're prepared to do what it takes to get the message across - which is fair enough imo.
Yes but unfortunately himself and the likes of Fisk are taken as gospel, quoted, then their highly propagandized rubbish used as ammunition in an attempt to debate or better yet educate the "knuckle dragging" non believers amongst us here....and of course they think no one notices  ::)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: Tyrones own on December 15, 2010, 10:17:50 PM
Yes but unfortunately himself and the likes of Fisk are taken as gospel, quoted, then their highly propagandized rubbish used as ammunition in an attempt to debate or better yet educate the "knuckle dragging" non believers amongst us here....and of course they think no one notices  ::)

Yesterday you hadn't heard of John Pilger and today you state that his work is highly propagandised rubbish. So I'm assuming that between then and now you decided to put down "dubya's" work and have watched one of his films or spent the day reading one of his books to reach that conclusion?

mylestheslasher

Benny - everyone who writes on a subject should be cross referenced and checked as much as possible but it is fair to say that Fisk & Pilger and others were at least present at the events they write about, were not embedded (sensored) in an army like the CNN and Fox "reporters". I recall Fisks account of Iraq where he reckoned the many US reporters never left their hotel except with the army with them. It is only due to reporters on the ground that we can get an alternative account to the official line. What people like TO fail to recognise is that both these guys have been ferocious in their criticism of regimes in Iraq, Iran and elsewhere but because they also dare to point out the truth about Israels bloody acts they get condemned as being biased. If anyone thinks Fisk is biased they should read his "war for civilisation" book where he tells some horrendous stories on acts from the regimes of Iraq, Iran, the US and Israel.

Tyrones own

Quote from: Arthur_Friend on December 15, 2010, 10:45:41 PM

Yesterday you hadn't heard of John Pilger and today you state that his work is highly propagandised rubbish. So I'm assuming that between then and now you decided to put down "dubya's" work and have watched one of his films or spent the day reading one of his books to reach that conclusion?
Quite a bold statement there...typical elitist attitude, there could be absolutely no conceivable possibility that someone like me could ever be as well read as yourself...is that it?
  - Walter Lippmann

Tyrones own

Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 15, 2010, 10:49:07 PM

Benny - everyone who writes on a subject should be cross referenced and checked as much as possible but it is fair to say that Fisk & Pilger and others were at least present at the events they write about, were not embedded (sensored) in an army like the CNN and Fox "reporters". I recall Fisks account of Iraq where he reckoned the many US reporters never left their hotel except with the army with them. It is only due to reporters on the ground that we can get an alternative account to the official line. What people like TO fail to recognise is that both these guys have been ferocious in their criticism of regimes in Iraq, Iran and elsewhere but because they also dare to point out the truth about Israels bloody acts they get condemned as being biased. If anyone thinks Fisk is biased they should read his "war for civilisation" book where he tells some horrendous stories on acts from the regimes of Iraq, Iran, the US and Israel.
Really...is that the one where he writes about the disgusting stench of death that took his breath away and he 8000 miles away in California at the time of said event  ::)  Give it up FFS!!
  - Walter Lippmann

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: Tyrones own on December 15, 2010, 10:50:36 PM
Quote from: Arthur_Friend on December 15, 2010, 10:45:41 PM

Quite a bold statement there...typical elitist attitude, there could be absolutely no conceivable possibility that someone like me could ever be as well read as yourself...is that it?

Quote from yourself yesterday:

Can Hardly wait.... here's to hoping it'll be different than the usual mud slinging at the West from the journalists ye lads usually idolize ... not confident though 
* Edit I just checked him on Wiki... I'm taking back any hope I had
Where the Fcuk do ye boy's find these "Journalists"

Tyrones own

Had read a lot of his "reporting" on the events of 9/11 and forgive me for not immediately recognizing his name  :'(
  - Walter Lippmann