GAA Council Facilities

Started by fitzroyalty, December 09, 2010, 04:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzroyalty

Just wondering what GAA facilities the different council areas in the north provide, if any? I ask because afaik my council area provides none - is this normal? (for a council area of 90,000, roughly half & half religiously).

aontroim

Quite a few council facilities in Belfast used by a number of clubs who don't own their own grounds.  I'm sure more could be provided as its still way behind the number of facilities available to other sports.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: fitzroyalty on December 09, 2010, 04:18:26 PM
Just wondering what GAA facilities the different council areas in the north provide, if any? I ask because afaik my council area provides none - is this normal? (for a council area of 90,000, roughly half & half religiously).

Good question and one I often wondered myself. As far as I know the Strabane DC area has zero gaelic pitches.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

fitzroyalty

I ask because this year and for most of next year our club will play games else-where due to redevelopment. And by else-where I mean puking other clubs to use their facilities. The council used to own a set of playing fields but one of the clubs bought them over and developed them specifically for their own use, which was fair enough. There is one pitch we used last year but I'm almost sure it isn't council-owned and in any case it was f**king shite - no changing facilities and well out of the way. The council has plenty of soccer pitches, even rugby pitches (for the two rugby clubs  ::) ) you'd think they'd provide one decent full-sized sand based pitch for the 14 odd GAA clubs to use.

snatter

Out of 662 council-owned pitches in NI, just 59 are set aside for Gaelic games.

Figures obtained from NI Sports Council by Daithi McKay 4 years ago. I can't imagine thre's been much change since.

See article at http://www.ballymoneytimes.co.uk/news/GIVE-GAA-ITS-FAIR-SHARE.1380045.jp