Tony Keady still bitter over '89

Started by Premier Emperor, December 07, 2010, 08:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Premier Emperor

Quote from: muppet on December 08, 2010, 07:38:03 PM
Quote from: Premier Emperor on December 08, 2010, 07:26:55 PM
He got himself suspended sure. He shouldn't have left himself hoping for sympathy from other counties after.
I remember Paul Delaney got suspended around the same time. He took his medicine...unlike Keady.

He's not the only one still bitter by the looks of it.
I'm only pointing out the obvious. The Galway lads are still ripping about it. Tipperary have been blackguarded often enough and we get over it.

muppet

Quote from: Premier Emperor on December 08, 2010, 07:43:46 PM
He got himself suspended sure. He shouldn't have left himself hoping for sympathy from other counties after.
I remember Paul Delaney got suspended around the same time. He took his medicine...unlike Keady.

I'm only pointing out the obvious. The Galway lads are still ripping about it. Tipperary have been blackguarded often enough and we get over it.

If you are over it why bring it up?
MWWSI 2017

Premier Emperor

Quote from: muppet on December 08, 2010, 07:45:44 PM
Quote from: Premier Emperor on December 08, 2010, 07:43:46 PM

If you are over it why bring it up?
It was plastered all over the paper. I'm not Vincent Hogan btw.

ormondeboy3

It doesn't take much manliness to jump into a lad who is completely open after clearing a ball and prone. Great example of Sylvie and Phelim's manliness when Big Bonnar approaches them after English was hit. It would be up there with Waterford's manliness of the same year.

It was the same kind of Glaway manliness that finished Eanna Ryan's career.

muppet

Quote from: ormondeboy3 on December 09, 2010, 09:59:09 AM
It doesn't take much manliness to jump into a lad who is completely open after clearing a ball and prone. Great example of Sylvie and Phelim's manliness when Big Bonnar approaches them after English was hit. It would be up there with Waterford's manliness of the same year.

It was the same kind of Glaway manliness that finished Eanna Ryan's career.

And all this Tipp bitterness posted on a thread giving out about Galway bitterness.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

"Tipperary have been blackguarded often enough and we get over it."

Except online. And in pubs.

How is it that Kilkenny fans don't have this insecurity?   Would any Kilkenny fan ever call himself "Emperor", for example? 

seafoid

Does the GAA still have fuball wallahs judging hurling infringements? If it was Mayo that put him down maybe the all-Ireland curse didn't come out of nowhere  ;)

GaillimhIarthair

Paul Delaney was left out of the starting team in the 89 final by the Tipp management because there was doubts about his legality to play. 

spectator

Thanks for posting that.

I think Keady summed it up well himself there - if it was left to the real hurling counties, he would have gained a reprieve.

As it transpired, every incident over the hundred odd years of the GAA, wider GAA politics, horse-trading etc probably went into the mix in deciding the votes of the non-hurling county delegates.

Must have been really enraging for him to be judged by comma-tea 'politicians' from non-hurling counties who probably didn't give a sugar about either him or hurling, one way or another.

There'll never be any shortage of politics, brinkmanship and controversies in the GAA, that's one thing we can say for sure.
It'd sicken you to see a great player like Tony Keady being treated like that though, whatever about the technicalities.  >:(

I think we can safely say that fairness is still reasonably important to most ordinary GAA folk, whatever about the committeee men...

Asal Mor

You're just bitter.
I don't like this Irish thing of calling people bitter. It's thrown around in every debate. You can't criticise or argue in this country without being accused of being bitter. If Keady felt he was wrongly suspended and denied a chance at a 3 in a row it's natural enough that he'd still feel that way. It doesn't mean he dwells on it and lets it consume him - sounds like he has a happy, busy life to me.

ross matt

Quote from: Asal Mor on December 16, 2010, 06:46:51 AM
You're just bitter.
I don't like this Irish thing of calling people bitter. It's thrown around in every debate. You can't criticise or argue in this country without being accused of being bitter. If Keady felt he was wrongly suspended and denied a chance at a 3 in a row it's natural enough that he'd still feel that way. It doesn't mean he dwells on it and lets it consume him - sounds like he has a happy, busy life to me.

Definitely one of the most intelligent posts I've read Asal. Constructive intelligent disagreement with a view point is often unfairly termed "negativity" or "bitterness" these days.

Ash Smoker

The 1989 semi final.
Great hit by Leahy in the first few seconds of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOI3L7_amfY&NR=1

johnneycool

Quote from: Ash Smoker on December 19, 2010, 08:54:16 PM
The 1989 semi final.
Great hit by Leahy in the first few seconds of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOI3L7_amfY&NR=1

cheap shot you mean, Finnerty continued on regardless unlike St Nicky..

seafoid

Back in 89 a good few people thought Finnerty would replace Conor Hayes as the full back but he had a nightmare in 1991 and that was the end of it. Where did all go wrong? 

johnneycool

Quote from: seafoid on December 20, 2010, 01:32:53 PM
Back in 89 a good few people thought Finnerty would replace Conor Hayes as the full back but he had a nightmare in 1991 and that was the end of it. Where did all go wrong?

There's a total different mentality required for fullback and not one that all good hurlers make, in fact you could say that hurling wise JJ Delaney would shite out Noel Hickey, but when it comes to manning the edge of the square there's only one winner and JJ was far from the worst at it.