Tony Keady still bitter over '89

Started by Premier Emperor, December 07, 2010, 08:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Quote from: seafoid on December 20, 2010, 01:32:53 PM
Back in 89 a good few people thought Finnerty would replace Conor Hayes as the full back but he had a nightmare in 1991 and that was the end of it. Where did all go wrong?

Yeah '91 was the start of a woeful decade for us at senior level. We lost practically all of the 85-90 team in the space of a couple of years. There was the terrible injury to Eanna Ryan. Joe Cooney put on a load of weight and was never a major force at county level after 1990, though he was still the best club/winter hurler in the country. Other lads like Commins, Keady, Finnerty, Hayes, Linnane, Naughton, Lynskey, Lane etc either completely lost form or retired. By 1993 only Michael Coleman and Pat Malone were the only ones still playing anywhere near their '80's form by my reckoning. Others like Joe C, Hopper and Gerry Mac were still there but their best hurling was behind them.

I remember reading an interview with Johnny Pilkington after that Galway team was ranked well above the Offaly 94-00 team in a poll for the greatest teams of the era. He reckoned that "we'd have hurled the shite out of that Galway team".  I'd be inclined to agree that they probably would have had too much skill for us.

Bord na Mona man

Was the Sylvie and Nicky incident caught on camera?
Nicky admitted afterwards that he made a meal of it, but was the hit worth any sort of sanction?

Canalman

Not a massive viewer of TG4's showing of old games............ mainly because they involve alot of Dublin football teams on the losing end.
However will watch this semi final if it comes up on the schedule to see for myself what really happened.

Ash Smoker

Quote from: johnneycool on December 20, 2010, 11:26:10 AM
Quote from: Ash Smoker on December 19, 2010, 08:54:16 PM
The 1989 semi final.
Great hit by Leahy in the first few seconds of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOI3L7_amfY&NR=1

cheap shot you mean
Yeah, I was just joking there.
Games like that would finish with 11 a side if it was refereed to modern day rigours.