Started by Bud Wiser, December 01, 2010, 09:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Premier Emperor

Kilkenny might be looking for him now!

laoislad

Quote from: Premier Emperor on July 08, 2012, 06:03:27 PM
Kilkenny might be looking for him now!

Sure we will take Cody so!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on July 08, 2012, 05:58:48 PM
Quote from: Premier Emperor on July 08, 2012, 05:54:38 PM
Where will Whipping Boys Daly go next?
Galway won't want him now. Laois might have a vacancy.

We'd take him no problem.

St Bernadettes Neilstown?

laoislad

Quote from: heffo on July 08, 2012, 06:35:24 PM

Durrow Harps.

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on July 08, 2012, 06:51:57 PM

Durrow Harps.

Sorry thought you were referring to your local GAA club and not a club in Laois.

laoislad

Quote from: heffo on July 08, 2012, 08:35:21 PM
Quote from: laoislad on July 08, 2012, 06:51:57 PM

Durrow Harps.

Sorry thought you were referring to your local GAA club and not a club in Laois.

AFAIK the GAA club in Lucan is called Lucan Sarsfields.
I'm not a member nor do I intend on ever becoming one,maybe though when my son is older I'll bring him along if he wants.
I dunno what your obsession is about this club in Neilstown that you keep referring too but it's getting a little tiresome at this stage.

seafoid

Quote from: INDIANA on June 18, 2011, 09:01:08 PM
Bullshit. we hurled them off the park. they werent in the game until ROD got the line.

We have landed as a serious hurling force. And to hell with the begrudgers

Is Indiana around ?

Declan

QuoteQuote from: INDIANA on June 18, 2011, 09:01:08 PM
Bullshit. we hurled them off the park. they werent in the game until ROD got the line.

We have landed as a serious hurling force. And to hell with the begrudgers

Is Indiana around ?

Stop your fishing seafoid ;D

seafoid

Presumably Dalo will go . Maybe he just ran out of ideas. Someone else could  come in and take up from where they left off last year.

It would be a pity for dublin to fall back now.

Farrandeelin

Said I would post this here, but rumours of Tomás Brady changing codes for the footballers are true. It's a shame really. He was unlucky last year with injuries.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Bud Wiser

The fitness and conditioning coach has left the hurlers as well and gone to  football. I cant understand why a county board would pay a man 100 grande to do a job and then allow and encourage a situation to develop that makes the job impossible.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Declan

Yep - strange on re Kennedy alright- sorry to see Tomas off the hurling

Daly accepts exit of code breakers

Tomás Brady has thrown in his lot with the Dublin footballers for the year ahead with hurling manager Anthony Daly accepting the lure of the big ball game is strong.

SEÁN MORAN, GAA Correspondent

NEWS ROUND-UP: DUBLIN HURLING manager Anthony Daly accepts that the lure of county football is an occupational frustration in maintaining the hurlers' challenge but believes that the county remains on track for a breakthrough.

He was speaking in a week which saw his team lose Tomás Brady to the Dublin footballers just weeks after his trainer Martin Kennedy had also thrown in his lot with Jim Gavin's panel.

"I suppose it is," he said when asked was it not frustrating to see traffic between the codes. "A while back Martin Kennedy was on board with us for another year and Tomás Brady would have been one of the key players on the team. Six weeks on and they're both gone. That's the way of the world. It's an amateur game and there's no contract tying anyone down."

Daly, who has been appointed for a fifth year with Dublin, said that he has had largely good relations with his football counterpart.

"I don't really know Jim Gavin but I got on well with Pat Gilroy apart from a bit of a row over Rory O'Carroll playing under-21. After that we were fine! It's like Andy Kettle (county chair) was saying: no-one owns the Dublin GAA and people are free to move around.

"It's the nature of the GAA and the same with Cork, who'd love to have Aidan Walsh hurling with them."

He added that whereas the loss of Brady was substantial, the team had to learn to cope without him for a full year because of serious knee injuries. He had returned to full fitness this summer in time for a most disappointing championship campaign, which ended in defeat by Clare last July.

Brady has been having a good season with Na Fianna's footballers and in the past has played Sigerson Cup with UCD. According to Daly it's a challenge that the player wants to meet.

"Tomás would like to have a go at football and feels if he doesn't do it now, he'll never do it. I was awful disappointed but wished him the best. The only consolation is that because of his injury problems we've had to manage without him for quite a bit but we'd been looking forward to having him fully fit for the whole of next season."

Despite the immense progress that hurling has made in the county – three underage All-Ireland finals in the past two years, the 2011 national league title followed by an All-Ireland semi-final – there is a sense that the game remains fragile in a county with a far stronger tradition in football.

"Look you've the glamour of football and the crowds," says Daly. "Even when we won the league and got to the Leinster final we weren't getting that. Young lads will be swayed by that."

The manager is still upbeat believing that if the county continues to knock at the door it will eventually be admitted. The message is essentially not to panic or get distracted from all of the good work that has been done over the past decade.

"When I meet Friends of Dublin Hurling I'd say let's keep working at this and keep producing quality players and it'll come. It's nearly happened at underage and you're producing fellas like Liam Rushe, Peter Kelly, Paul Schutte – Danny Sutcliffe was nominated for an All Star. Hopefully there'll be more."

A playing career that included the peaks of captaining Clare – who had waited even longer than Dublin are currently – to two All-Irelands in 1995 and '97 has equipped Daly with a keen understanding of what's missing.

"Confidence. I'd say we had our best club team (Clarecastle) in 1994 but weren't as confident. Once the county won the All-Ireland it was different and we won Munster. I've often said that when I got on the Harty (Munster colleges) team in Flannan's I expected to win it but when I pulled on a Clare minor jersey against Cork – despite us beating three Cork colleges – I didn't feel it was going to happen.

"I remember when we were coming through, we were the first Clare team to get to three successive Munster finals but we were seen as jokers. We stuck with it and stuck with it and got our day and once we'd got our day we were different blokes.

"Fellas have been on to me and can't wait to get back. I heard Joe Canning talking about how Galway had come on this year but that there'd be a lot of teams waiting for them next year. He mentioned Limerick and Clare and Waterford but there was no Dublin. Eaten bread is soon forgotten!"

Bord na Mona man

Couple of good yarns from last Sunday's Indo:

Martin Storey: I have a sneaky feeling Dublin might go all the way. They're starting to get a few followers as well. We had some vicious battles with them in the early to mid '90s. I ran away from their manager, Lar Foley, one day because I was afraid of him. Another time, I got three days in hospital after my nose was smashed. So, by the time I played them for one of my last games, I'd had enough. I was marking some chap who was centre-back and he hit me a dig straight away.

'Young lad,' I sighed. 'Can you tell me what's written on the sole of my boots?'

'How the f**k am I supposed to know, Storreyyy, you bleeding clown,' he replied in a deep Dublin brogue.

I said, 'Well, you'll know soon enough because you'll be chasing my heels for the hour.'

About 40 minutes later he came at me again.

'Bleeding FILA,' he said, wheezing.

I asked him what he was on about.

'FILA. That's what's on the heel of your boots, Stoorreeey.'

Daithi Regan: The Dubs are a gas crowd. I remember Offaly were playing them in Croke Park. Paudge Mulhare was over us and gave us a pep talk on the pitch. He started off, 'Lads, there'll be a shower of Jackeen f**kers on the Hill raining abuse down on ye, but pay no heed to them.'

Next thing he spotted a cameraman walking around our huddle – the game must have been live – and as the cameraman lurked just outside the huddle, Paudge completely changed tack.

'Now lads, these Dublin lads, we respect them. They are great to keep the game alive in the city.'

The cameraman moseyed off anyhow, and Paudge looked up again. 'Is he gone? Lads, those shower of pricks, if they beat ye, I'll personally clatter every one of ye. I was in the stand when Antrim beat ye last year and ye f**king clapped them off pitch. Everyone said ye were great lads to do that. Clap them off! Jaysus! Now, do this stretch,' he trailed off, putting his leg out in front of him.

We were in floods of tears laughing. We loved Paudge. But that was the thing back then. We took hurling so seriously, but we could have a right bit of crack too. That's gone out the window now.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/it-all-boils-down-to-who-is-best-positioned-when-this-kilkenny-team-eventually-do-fall-29454047.html

Asal Mor

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 31, 2013, 02:02:37 PM

Martin Storey: I have a sneaky feeling Dublin might go all the way. They're starting to get a few followers as well. We had some vicious battles with them in the early to mid '90s. I ran away from their manager, Lar Foley, one day because I was afraid of him. Another time, I got three days in hospital after my nose was smashed. So, by the time I played them for one of my last games, I'd had enough. I was marking some chap who was centre-back and he hit me a dig straight away.

'Young lad,' I sighed. 'Can you tell me what's written on the sole of my boots?'

'How the f**k am I supposed to know, Storreyyy, you bleeding clown,' he replied in a deep Dublin brogue.

I said, 'Well, you'll know soon enough because you'll be chasing my heels for the hour.'

Daithi Regan: The Dubs are a gas crowd. I remember Offaly were playing them in Croke Park. Paudge Mulhare was over us and gave us a pep talk on the pitch. He started off, 'Lads, there'll be a shower of Jackeen f**kers on the Hill raining abuse down on ye, but pay no heed to them.'

Next thing he spotted a cameraman walking around our huddle – the game must have been live – and as the cameraman lurked just outside the huddle, Paudge completely changed tack.

'Now lads, these Dublin lads, we respect them. They are great to keep the game alive in the city.'

The cameraman moseyed off anyhow, and Paudge looked up again. 'Is he gone? Lads, those shower of pricks, if they beat ye, I'll personally clatter every one of ye. I was in the stand when Antrim beat ye last year and ye f**king clapped them off pitch. Everyone said ye were great lads to do that. Clap them off! Jaysus! Now, do this stretch,' he trailed off, putting his leg out in front of him.

We were in floods of tears laughing. We loved Paudge. But that was the thing back then. We took hurling so seriously, but we could have a right bit of crack too. That's gone out the window now.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/it-all-boils-down-to-who-is-best-positioned-when-this-kilkenny-team-eventually-do-fall-29454047.html

;D Good stuff.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Asal Mor on July 31, 2013, 04:44:45 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 31, 2013, 02:02:37 PM

The cameraman moseyed off anyhow, and Paudge looked up again. 'Is he gone? Lads, those shower of pricks, if they beat ye, I'll personally clatter every one of ye. I was in the stand when Antrim beat ye last year and ye f**king clapped them off pitch. Everyone said ye were great lads to do that. Clap them off! Jaysus! Now, do this stretch,' he trailed off, putting his leg out in front of him.We were in floods of tears laughing. We loved Paudge. But that was the thing back then. We took hurling so seriously, but we could have a right bit of crack too. That's gone out the window now.

;D Good stuff.

Now do this stretch!! Funny ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea