What Price the Dub's

Started by Bud Wiser, December 01, 2010, 09:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Licky man indeed:

Keaney: Luck was on my side in accident
By John Fogarty

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

CONAL KEANEY has revealed how lucky he was to only escape with knee and ankle injuries from his motorbike accident last Friday morning on his way to work.

Speaking exclusively to The Irish Examiner, the Ballyboden St Enda's talisman expressed his frustration at missing out on Sunday's All-Ireland quarter-final win over Limerick as well as the August 14 semi-final against Tipperary, as a result of his injuries.

However, weighing up the pros and cons of what happened he understands things could have been a lot worse.

"I know I was lucky," admitted Keaney.

"Over the weekend there were a couple of other bike accidents and the people involved in them died. I don't need to be told I'm more fortunate than unfortunate.

"That said, it's very disappointing at the moment. The team were going well this year and now they've reached the All-Ireland semi-finals. In the overall scheme of things, I've no head or spine injuries so it's not too bad considering. But the season is gone and that hurts."

Keaney described the accident, which happened at a notoriously dangerous junction close to St Anne's GAA club in Bohernabreena as he was on his way to Blessington where he works as sales and marketing manager at the Avon Rí resort.

"The van driver was turning while I was going straight on and he thought he was going to get around before I was coming but he didn't," recalled Keaney.

"I breaked and then tried to turn away from him as but the van was coming closer and closer and we collided. I got off the bike but trapped my right foot between the bike and his bonnet. I jumped off the bike then but I landed on my left knee and that's how I did the cruciate."

Keaney's cruciate will be operated on by top surgeon Ray Moran in Santry on Friday.

He's been told to keep his knee muscles strong and is expecting to be kept in the clinic for a couple of nights.

"The muscles around it would be in good order and there's not much swelling so I just have to keep it moving as I would have before."

Keaney's employers Avon Rí have given Keaney "as much time as I need" but he's hoping "to get back as soon as I can".

The 28-year-old was taken aback by the amount of well-wishers and messages of support after it emerged on Friday he had gone to Tallaght Hospital with injuries.

"I just want to thank everyone who has been in touch. The amount of messages I got was unbelievable. I even got one from the Limerick County Board, which was nice."

Although Keaney wasn't able to contribute on the field in Thurles, he still had his say when he put together a video message for the players.

"Ah, there was nothing major in it," he said. "I just wished them the best of luck and told them how good we have been all through the year. One bad game (the Leinster final v Kilkenny) didn't make us a bad team and it had changed nothing. We had been going well all year and it would have been a shame to let it stop at the quarter-finals."

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/keaney-luck-was-on-my-side-in-accident-162212.html#ixzz1TDL1AjUd

Bud Wiser

Well lads, who would have thought it, from the day of the original post that the Dub's would be out with the small ball tomorrow? Seemingly a great training session last night (Friday) and a good session down in Clare and whatever happens tomorrow hurling has got a great lift this year. The Waterford comeback after Munster, a great league, and when it does come down to the wire tommorrow the Dubs will still be trying.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

spuds

Tipp 1-16   0-16 Dubs
Tipp   20/1
Dubs  16/1
6 5  mins

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

heffo

Comprehensive win in Newry today for the U21's.

As Reillers says though it's Limerick's to lose and Dublin will just give it a lash.

Minder

Quote from: heffo on August 20, 2011, 06:35:28 PM

As Reillers says though it's Limerick's to lose and Dublin will just give it a lash.

They have their hands full with Galway at the minute.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

heffo

Quote from: Minder on August 20, 2011, 06:44:20 PM
Quote from: heffo on August 20, 2011, 06:35:28 PM

They have their hands full with Galway at the minute.

No less a Hurling man than Reillers predicted a runaway Limerick win for the AI. That's good enough for me.

INDIANA

of course he did Heffo. They beat Cork. More crap from the king of bullshit in Reillers

heffo

We'll probably be graced with his presence shortly when the new Cork manager is announced.

INDIANA

Quote from: heffo on August 20, 2011, 07:07:40 PM
We'll probably be graced with his presence shortly when the new Cork manager is announced.

hopefully he'll remember JBM cant play for them anymore!!

Bud Wiser

Well its over a year since this thread started and at that time Dubs were 33/1 to win the Leinster Final. They start the year on Sunday in the Walsh Cup against Laois with almost every line in the team without key players  (Tomás Brady, Stephen Hiney, Conal Keaney, Simon Lambert, Ross O'Carroll, Alan McCrabbe, David Treacy, Finn McGarry, Liam Rushe, Paul Schutte, Kevin O'Loughlin, Oisín Gough, Peter Kelly and Niall Corcoran) either through injuries or college commitments.  Me thinks Daly is not as upset about this as he pretends and that when the championship starts he will have them all primed nicely for another crack at it. I hope Stephen Hiney will be back soon. Doubt if they will be 33/1 though this time. Any thoughts?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Heshs Umpire

Game switched to Portlaoise for anyone going to it.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Minder

Bad fare from the Dubs tonight, Daly will be gone now I would say.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

heffo

Dissapointing day yesterday - Clare worthy winners.

Grim journey back from Ennis though great to get out of Croke park

Premier Emperor

Where will Whipping Boys Daly go next?
Galway won't want him now. Laois might have a vacancy.

laoislad

Quote from: Premier Emperor on July 08, 2012, 05:54:38 PM
Where will Whipping Boys Daly go next?
Galway won't want him now. Laois might have a vacancy.

We'd take him no problem.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.